List of mountains in the UAE
List of mountains in the UAE
List of mountains in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), mountain ranges, hills, jebel, Jebel Ali, Jebel Jais, Jebel Hafeet. Includes other notable peaks - sand dunes and Burj Khalifa.
- Highest place in the UAE is Jebel Jais, but the mountain peak is actually in Oman. Highest "peak" in UAE is Jebel Yibir.
- Highest sand dune in the UAE is Moreeb Hill or Moreb Dune. Tallest building in the UAE is the Burj Khalifa.
- Jebel is Arabic for mountain. Also written as Jabal (common), Jabel, Jebal.
|Name||Location||Height||GPS summit||Access to top||Notes|
|Burj Khalifa||Dubai||818m||Yes||No||Not a mountain, tallest building for height comparison|
|Al Hajar mountains||Oman and UAE||Mountain range, highest peak is Jebel Shams in Oman, ~3,000m, also Hajjar.|
|Jebel Al Mebrah||See Jebel Yibir|
|Jebel Ajla||several||Also Jabal Ad Dayr or Jabal Dair, in Fujairah, RAK, Sharjah, and Sudan (!)|
|Jebel Ali||Dubai||59m||25.027476, 55.124618||No||Yes||Satellite station. Jebel Ali also refers to larger administrative district.|
|Jebel Bil'Ays||See Jebel Jais (Jebel Al Jais)|
|Jebel Hafeet||Al Ain city||1249m||Yes||Yes||In Al Ain city in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. Also Jebal Hafit.|
|Jebel Jais||RAK||Yes||Yes||Higher than Jebel Yibir but peak is in Oman.|
|Jebel Javi||In Omani enclave in UAE?|
|Jebel Sumeini||Also Jabal Sumayni, Jebel Ghawil? See Jebel Hafeet?|
|Jebel Yibir||RAK||1727m||No||Yes||Highest mountain "peak" in UAE. Military checkpoint, no public access since 2017.|
|Moreeb Dune||Abu Dhabi||Yes||No||Road access to base|
|Mountain City, Dubai||Dubai||300m||Artificial mountain, planned in 2004 but never built.|
|Ski Dubai||Dubai||Yes||No||Indoor skifield with pictures of mountains.|
- Jebel Jais peak in Oman is 1,925m or 1,934m high [check for correct height], near the UAE border. Within the UAE, the highest point near the Jebel Jais summit is 1,910m high [check height], which is obviously higher than the summit of Jebel Yibir which is in the UAE.
- "Location" refers to commonly used reference, might be city, emirate, country, something else.
Mountain climbing in the UAE
Most of the UAE is sand, and sand dunes are technically not too challenging to climb, just exhausting. For mountain and rock climbing, the Hajjar mountains in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) are popular. Also possible is Fujairah and Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain. Start your climbing adventures here:
- www.summitpost.org (a worldwide site but not many entries for UAE mountains)
- www.summitpost.org/the-hajar-mountains-of-the-united-arab-emirates-and-nw-oman/690130 - good reading but most or all links seem to be broken.
- Parent category - UAE, Geography of the UAE.
- Child pages - mountains, Jebel Hafeet.
- Related pages - wadis, islands, emirates, canals, Dubai Creek.
- Fujairah, green, Hajar (Hajjar), Hatta, Masafi, RAK, Sharjah mountains UAE.
- Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, mountains.
- UAE mountains and wadis, map.
- geonames.nga.mil - National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (USA), we found over 300 names of UAE mountains, hills, dunes, ridges, etc in their database so it seems comprehensive. Accuracy unknown but probably as good as or better than anything else publicly and freely available online.
- www.geonames.org - like a Wikipedia of geographical features worldwide, and like Wikipedia not 100% accurate but a good place to start.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the UAE
- www.bayanat.ae - UAE Government official Open Data portal, managed by the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority (FCSA).
- sdi.gov.abudhabi - Abu Dhabi Government SDI portal (Spatial Data Infrastructure).
- www.moccae.gov.ae - UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Environment. Search GIS map for mountain names.
- www.moid.gov.ae - UAE Ministry of Infrastructure Development.
Last update Tuesday 22-Oct-2019. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- United Arab Emirates - general information.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.