List of mosques in the UAE
List of mosques in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, and other UAE emirates, including the most beautiful, largest, biggest, oldest, famous mosques of the UAE. Also mosques which are open to visits from non-Muslims. However, this is not a comprehensive list of all mosques in the UAE - most, or all, communities should have a mosque within walking distance for most residents.
Mosques open to non-Muslim visitors
List of mosques in Abu Dhabi
- Al Kareem Mosque, Abu Dhabi Marina Mall area - opened 23 Jul 2012, Ottoman style, capacity 1,400 worshippers, construction cost AED 24 million, paid for by Hassan Abdullah Mohammed (WAM 23 Jul 2012).
- Fatima Belhoul Al Suwaidi Mosque - modern looking mosque (metal exterior) in Khalidiya, open in 2010.
- Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi - or Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, the largest mosque in the UAE, and probably the most famous and most beautiful mosque. Easily recognisible when driving in to Abu Dhabi because of its size and bright white color. Open to non-Muslim visitors, and should be high on a list of places to visit for residents and visitors to the UAE.
- Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque - on Airport Road
List of mosques in Dubai
Dubai has 1,418 mosques (KT report 07 Aug 2012).
- Al Farooq Mosque (Al Farook Mosque - Al Farooq Omar Bin Al Khattab Mosque) in Umm Suqeim - opening date August 2011 (or 29 Jul 2011). Also known as the Blue Mosque. Non-Muslims can visit.
- Jumeirah Mosque - in Jumeirah 1 on the Jumeira Beach Road, open to the public for guided tours. Non-Muslims can attend. One of the most beautiful mosques in Dubai and popular for photographs. See the Jumeirah Mosque tour information for more details.
- Largest mosque in Dubai - a new "eco-friendly" mosque was announced on 13 Sep 2012, which will be the largest mosque in Dubai when completed (possibly in early 2014). Area 4,180 sq meters, capacity 3,500 worshippers, location Port Saeed near the Deira Clock Tower. Construction contract awarded to by the Dubai Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation to Al Arif Contracting.
- Sheikh Zayed Bin Mansour Al Nahyan Mosque - new mosque under construction by Emaar Properties for Downtown Dubai area. Area 40,000 sq feet, capacity 800 people (news reports 11 Aug 2012). Completion date not supplied.
List of mosques in Sharjah
Sharjah has over 600 mosques (as of mid-2011 - SCCC information).
- Al Noor Mosque - open to non-Muslims with guided tours operated by the Sharjah Centre for Culture Communication (SCCC) on Mondays at 1000 (10am), tour length about 1 hour. Dress conservatively, headscarves provided, photography permitted. Picturesque mosque located on Buheira/Buhaira Corniche, Khaled Lagoon. Good if you want a photo of a mosque reflection in the water. Noor is Arabic for light. Al Noor Mosque built on the instruction of Sheikha Jawaher Bint Mohammed Al Qassimi, the wife of the Ruler of Sharjah. Construction started 06 April 2003, completed in 2005. Design influenced by Turkish Ottoman architecture, in particular the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) in Istanbul, Turkey. Total capacity of 2,200 (400 in ladies section, 1,800 in men's section). For private tours, contact the mosque. Contact details are email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +971-6-5482211, fax +971-6-5482121, website www.shjculture.com.
- Buheirah Corniche mosque - see Al Noor Mosque, Sharjah.
- Majaz Park Mosque - nice setting in Majaz Park.
- Qanat Al Qasba Mosque - lighting at night makes for good photograph opportunities, and is next to the pleasant Qanat Al Qasbah area.
List of mosques in Ajman
List of mosques in Fujairah
- Badiya Mosque in Dibba - the oldest mosque in the UAE still in use.
- Khor Fakkan Corniche Mosque
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque Fujairah - under construction in 2010 with completion date scheduled for July 2012. Expected to be the second-largest mosque in the UAE (the Shaikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi is the largest). Designed to be a replica of the famous Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey (The National 04 December 2010).
List of mosques in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)
List of mosques in Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)
Largest mosque in the UAE
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is the biggest mosque in the UAE.
Oldest mosque in the UAE
- Badiyah Mosque in Dibba, Fujairah, is the oldest mosque in the UAE that is still currently used for prayers (also called Al Bidya, Al Bidyah, etc).
Last update Sunday 16-Sep-2012. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.