List of mosques in the UAE
List of mosques in the UAE (masjids)
List of mosques in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, and other UAE emirates, including the most beautiful, largest, biggest, oldest, famous mosques of the UAE. Also mosques which are open to visits from non-Muslims. However, this is not a comprehensive list of all mosques in the UAE - most, or all, communities should have a mosque within walking distance for most residents.
Mosques open to non-Muslim visitors
- Al Farouq Mosque in Dubai
- Al Noor Mosque in Sharjah - open to non-Muslims only for guided tours.
- Jumeirah Mosque in Dubai
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi
Yes, non-Muslims can visit both mosques. Yes, women and children can too. Yes, you can take photos. Yes, women need to cover heads, shoulders, arms, legs; men need to cover shoulders and legs. No, don't wear your swimsuit. Women will probably be provided with an abaya to cover up. Men can ask for a dishdasha if they want, or will be given one if wearing shorts. It is more respectful to arrive conservatively dressed anyway, not looking like you just came from the beach.
List of mosques in Abu Dhabi
- Al Kareem Mosque, Abu Dhabi Marina Mall area - opened 23 Jul 2012, Ottoman style, capacity 1,400 worshippers, construction cost AED 24 million, paid for by Hassan Abdullah Mohammed (WAM 23 Jul 2012).
- Fatima Belhoul Al Suwaidi Mosque - modern looking mosque (metal exterior) in Khalidiya, open in 2010.
- Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi - or Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, the largest mosque in the UAE, and probably the most famous and most beautiful mosque. Easily recognisible when driving in to Abu Dhabi because of its size and bright white color. Open to non-Muslim visitors, and should be high on a list of places to visit for residents and visitors to the UAE.
- Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque - on Airport Road.
List of mosques in Al Ain
- [Check] Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Mosque (Masjid), under construction, construction start date Dec 2013, opening date expected in 2016, land area 257,000 sq meters, mosque area 15,700 sq m, capacity 20,000 people (6,500 inside + 14,000 outside), located in Al Mahat district or area. Dome 75m inside diameter, interior height 31m, minarets height 60m. Project manager is EC Harris, architects Bayaty, engineering consultant KEO International Consultants, client Abu Dhabi Department of Presidential Affairs. All figures need to be confirmed with primary source. Timeline:
- 2016 - planned opening date.
- 2013 Dec - construction start date.
- 2013 Jul 29 - closing date for construction tenders.
- 2013 May - bidding for construction tenders announced or reported.
- 2011/2012 - project under review by Abu Dhabi Government?
- 2010/2011 - planned mosque first announced or reported, with dome width 160m and minaret height 120m. Total built up area 32,000 sq meters, mosque area 14,500 sq m.
List of mosques in Dubai
Dubai has 1,418 mosques (KT report 07 Aug 2012).
- Al Farooq Mosque (Al Farook Mosque - Al Farooq Omar Bin Al Khattab Mosque) in Umm Suqeim - opening date August 2011 (or 29 Jul 2011). Also known as the Blue Mosque. Non-Muslims can visit.
- Jumeirah Mosque - in Jumeirah 1 on the Jumeira Beach Road, open to the public for guided tours. Non-Muslims can attend. One of the most beautiful mosques in Dubai and popular for photographs. See the Jumeirah Mosque tour information for more details.
- Largest mosque in Dubai - a new "eco-friendly" mosque was announced on 13 Sep 2012, which will be the largest mosque in Dubai when completed (possibly in early 2014). Area 4,180 sq meters, capacity 3,500 worshippers, location Port Saeed near the Deira Clock Tower. Construction contract awarded to by the Dubai Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation to Al Arif Contracting.
- Sheikh Zayed Bin Mansour Al Nahyan Mosque - new mosque under construction by Emaar Properties for Downtown Dubai area. Area 40,000 sq feet, capacity 800 people (news reports 11 Aug 2012). Completion date not supplied.
List of mosques in Sharjah
Sharjah has over 600 mosques (as of mid-2011 - SCCC information).
- Al Noor Mosque - open to non-Muslims with guided tours operated by the Sharjah Centre for Culture Communication (SCCC) on Mondays at 1000 (10am), tour length about 1 hour. Dress conservatively, headscarves provided, photography permitted. Picturesque mosque located on Buheira/Buhaira Corniche, Khaled Lagoon. Good if you want a photo of a mosque reflection in the water. Noor is Arabic for light. Al Noor Mosque built on the instruction of Sheikha Jawaher Bint Mohammed Al Qassimi, the wife of the Ruler of Sharjah. Construction started 06 April 2003, completed in 2005. Design influenced by Turkish Ottoman architecture, in particular the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) in Istanbul, Turkey. Total capacity of 2,200 (400 in ladies section, 1,800 in men's section). For private tours, contact the mosque. Contact details are email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +971-6-5482211, fax +971-6-5482121, website www.shjculture.com.
- Buheirah Corniche mosque - see Al Noor Mosque, Sharjah.
- Majaz Park Mosque - nice setting in Majaz Park.
- Qanat Al Qasba Mosque - lighting at night makes for good photograph opportunities, and is next to the pleasant Qanat Al Qasbah area.
List of mosques in Ajman
List of mosques in Fujairah
- Badiya Mosque in Dibba - the oldest mosque in the UAE still in use.
- Khor Fakkan Corniche Mosque
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque Fujairah (located in Dibba) - under construction in 2010 with completion date scheduled for July 2012. Expected to be the second-largest mosque in the UAE (the Shaikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi is the largest). Designed to be a replica of the famous Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey (The National 04 December 2010).
List of mosques in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)
List of mosques in Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)
Largest mosque in the UAE
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is the biggest mosque in the UAE.
Oldest mosque in the UAE
- Badiyah Mosque in Dibba, Fujairah, is the oldest mosque in the UAE which is still currently used for prayers. Is also referred to as Al Bidya, Al Bidyah, etc.
Last update Saturday 14-Feb-2015. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.