Madaares was an investment company subsidiary of the National Bonds Corporation (NBC) with plans to buy and develop schools in the UAE and the wider region, with a goal of improving the standard of education in the UAE. Madaares bought Beacon Education and Taaleem in June 2007, then rebranded itself as Taaleem in May 2008. The chairman of Madaares is Nasser Bin Hassan Al-Shaikh, who is also the Vice-Chairman and CEO of National Bonds Corporation, chairman of Amlak Finance (a mortgage provider in Dubai), and until May 2009 was the Director General of the Dubai Department of Finance.
- February 2006 - Madaares Founders Committee announces intention to establish a private compay to boost education standards in the region, and plan to establish 20 new schools in the Middle East, 14 of them by 2011 or 2012. Madaares will also form a company to develop and run the new schools.
- February 2007 - Madaares incorporated by the National Bonds Corporation and the Dubai Government as an AED 500 private joint stock company (PJSC). Shareholders include Al Mal Capital, Amlak Finance, Awqaf & Minors Affairs Foundation, Emirates Islamic Bank, Educational Holding Group (Kuwait), Global Investment House (Kuwait), Manazel Real Estate, Zabeel Investments, and some individual investors. National Bonds has 20% ownership of Madaares.
- June 2007 - Madaares acquires Beacon Education & Taaleem, total share capital increased to AED 750m.
- September 2007 - Ziad Azzam becomes CEO of Madaares (was previously CEO of Beacon Education)
- September 2007 - Madaares and Nakheel announce a partnership to build an Americum curriculum school in the AlFurjan development.
- May 2008 - Madaares announces a new corporate identity - they will henceforth be known as Taaleem.
Madaares profile and contact details
||Nasser Bin Hassan Al Shaikh
||(now Taaleem Chairman)
||(now Taaleem CEO)
||Use PO Box 76691, Dubai, UAE (Taaleem)
+971-4-2830000 and fax +971-4-
seen in some sources for Madaares might not be correct. Similarly for PO Box 114114 Dubai UAE.
Madaares Board of Directors after Taaleem and Beacon acquisition in June 2007
- Nasar Bin Hasan Al Shaikh (Chairman)
- Abdulla Saif Al Nuaimi
- Abdulla Showaiter
- Adel Zarouni
- Ahmad Al Khayyat
- Butti Al Jumairi
- Firas Al Oda
- Helal Al Marri
- Khalid Ahmed Al Tayer
- Nasib Saab
- Saleh Saeed Ahmed Lootah
Last update Wednesday 19-Aug-2009
Related websites (new window)
- www.madaares.com - shows the Taaleem website, www.madaares.ae forwards to www.taaleem.ae, www.maadares.ac (rarely seen) is spam, and www.madaares.cc returns an error.