Ducab Dubai Cable Company
Ducab, or Dubai Cable Company, is a power cable manufacturing company that supplies cables to the UAE and Middle East region, and further afield to countries including Hong Kong and India. Some large projects which Ducab has supplied power cables to include the Bahrain Formula 1 track, Burj Dubai, Delhi Metro, Dubai Metro, Gasco Ruwais, Lulu Island Bahrain, Palm Jumeirah, Ras Laffan Qatar, The Dubai Mall.
Dubai Cable Company (Private) Limited was established in December 1977 by Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, the Ruler of Dubai at the time, in partnership with BICC Cables (UK). Construction of the Jebel Ali factory started June 1978, and was finished May 1979, with the official opening on 24 November 1979.
- Ducab chairman is Ahmad Bin Hassan Al Shaikh
- Ducab Managing Director is Andrew Shaw
- Ducab ownership is 50:50 between the Dubai and Abu Dhabi governments (Abu Dhabi bought 35% of Ducab in 1997, and become a 50% partner in 2001)
- Total of 900 employees (24 November 2009 press release)
- Production capacity 110,000 tonnes per year (as of December 2009)
30 March 2009 - Ducab HV DEWA ADWEA joint venture
Ducab announced a joint venture with the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA) and the Dubai Water and Electricity Authority (DEWA) to establish an HV cable manufacturing plant in Jebel Ali, expected to open by end of 2010 (information from Ducab press release 30 March 2009).
- Ducab HV will produce high voltage cable with capacity range from 66kV to 400kV
- Area of Ducab HV manufacturing plant is 22,000 sq meters
- Production capacity of Ducab HV is 30,000 tonnes per year
- Other reports said the ownership proportion of Ducab HV is Ducab 50%, DEWA 25%, ADWEA 25%; the cost of the new facility would be AED 500 million; GCC exports would start by 2011; and Ducab HV would break even in its third year of operation.
23 March 2009 - Ducab 2008 financial performance (press release)
- 2008 total sales revenue AED 3.3 billion (38% increase from AED 2.4 billion in 2007)
- 2008 cable production quantity 80,000 metal tonnes (up 23% from 65,000 metal tonnes in 2007). Update: a 30 March 2009 press release said "Ducab produces over 90,000 copper tonnes equivalent of low and medium voltage cables"
Ducab sales figures
|2011||AED 4.9 billion?|
|2008||AED 3.3 billion||+38%||80,000 tonnes||+23%|
|2007||AED 2.4 billion||65,000 tonnes|
|2005||AED 1 bilion|
|2003||AED 530 million|
|2000||AED 400 million|
|1992||AED 200 million|
|1988||AED 100 million|
|1987||AED 70 million|
|1983||AED 23 million|
Ducab production facilities
Ducab has three cable factories in the UAE, with production capacity of 110,000 copper tonnes of low, medium, and high voltage cables, which should be up to 140,000 tonnes after Ducab HV comes online in 2010 (but according to the Gulf News 31 March 2009, Ducab has an "annual capacity of 250,000 cables tonnes"). Manufacturing plants are:
- Ducab Jebel Ali Dubai - main office and factory, total area of 590,000 sq meters
- Ducab HV Jebel Ali - High Voltage cable manufacturing plant, total area 22,000 sq meters, operational end of 2010, production of 66kV to 400kV high voltage cable.
- Ducab cable factory in Mussafah Abu Dhabi, open 09 March 2005, area 200,000 sq meters
- Ducab Copper Rod Plant, also in Mussafah, open in 2008, area 220,000 sq meters
- Ducab new High Voltage factory in Jebel Ali (groundbreaking 24 November 2009), will be the 6th Ducab plant, manufacturing cables for HV and extra-HV projects planned by ADWEA and DEWA, and other regional projects. Factory cost is AED 500 million, area 22,000 sq meters on site plot of 50,000 sq m. Completion scheduled for late 2010 with production of cable systems for voltage range of 66 kV to 400 kV, and conductor sizes of 300-2500 sq mm. Capacity 30,000 tonnes per year.
- Ducab Special Cable Unit (SCU) launched 24 November 2009 - specialised cables for oil and gas projects in the Middle East.
Ducab product range
- high voltage power transmission cables up to 132 kV (up to 400kV after completion of Ducab HV facility in 2010)
- low voltage power cables
- Ducab Powerplus medium voltage power cables up to 33 kV
- Ducab FR fire resistant cables
- Ducab Smokemaster low smoke and fume cables
- control & auxiliary cables, instrumentation cables, lead-sheathed cables, pilot cables, wiring cables
Ducab contact details
- Ducab Head Office and Jebel Ali factory: tel +971-4-8082500, fax +971-4-8082511, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ducab Abu Dhabi sales office (ADSO): PO Box 9171, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Tel +971-2-5027777, fax +971-2-5027888, email email@example.com
- Ducab Oman office: PO Box 3542, 112 Ruwi, Muscat, Oman. Tel +968-565177, fax +968-564302, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update Thursday 01-Mar-2012
- JAFZA - Jebel Ali Free Zone information
- www.ducab.com - Ducab website, same website also at www.ducab.ae
- [Disabled] Submit URL.