Defense Roundabout Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Defense Roundabout in Dubai
Defence or Defense Roundabout Dubai is the common name for the first interchange on Sheikh Zayed Road (SZR), under construction from about 2007 to 2010. Information and guide to the road junction.
- The Defence Roundabout intersection is a crossroads between Al Wasl and Al Satwa areas on the ocean side of SZR, and the Dubai Financial District and Downtown Burj Dubai on the desert side of SZR.
- The SZR is the name given to the section of the E11 that runs through Dubai. The complete E11 route runs from Abu Dhabi to Ras Al Khaimah near the coast of the UAE.
- The Downtown Dubai development is where The Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa are located.
- One of the oldest tall buildings in Dubai is located near the interchange - the Toyota Building.
Defense Roundabout construction
- The Defense Roundabout was one of the last major interchanges on Sheikh Zayed Road to be redeveloped as a free-flow intersection (even though many residents wished it had been the first).
- Developer is the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (Dubai RTA).
- Start date of construction was Q4 of 2006.
- Construction was supposed to be finished by March 2009, but has been delayed until end of 2010 at least (possibly later).
- Main project contractor is Salini Constructions, contract awarded in 2006.
- Construction cost about AED 618 million.
- After finish of improvements, the RTA estimates that 16,000 vehicles per hour would use the intersection.
- New interchange will connect Shaikh Zayed Road, Al Safa Street, the double-deck Financial Center Road (Doha Street).
- Total length of bridges and ramps for the new intersection will be 3km, and the tunnel connecting the SZR service roads would be 850m long.
- The service road past the Mazaya Centre Dubai will be connected with a tunnel to the service road past the Shangrila Hotel on Shaikh Zayed Road.
- A good aerial view of the new interchange can be had from the Burj Dubai Observation Deck (but it will cost you AED 100 to get up there).
- The link joining Al Safa Road to Financial Center Road is expected to open on 30 May 2010 according to a press release from the RTA on 08 or 09 May 2010.
Defence Roundabout construction accident
- On 17 June 2008, part of one of the bridges under construction collapsed. Five workers were injured.
- An RTA statement blamed the contractor, saying "The accident happened due to miscalculations on the part of the contractor as a result the pillar and the scaffolding could not take the load of the bridge and it collapsed,"
Last update Friday 13-Dec-2013. Page development 4L 5C.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.