The Galleria, Al Maryah Island
The Galleria Mall, Al Maryah Island
The Galleria, Al Maryah Island (TGAMI). Previously The Galleria Sowwah Square, and Al Maryah Central shopping mall. Sowah Square mall opened in 2013, the expansion or extension opened in 2019. Large mall with usual features - shops, stores, food court, car park, water features, cinema complex with the first IMAX theatre in Abu Dhabi.
- "The Galleria, Al Maryah Island" is a merger of "The Galleria" in Sowwah Square which opened in 2013, and the new mall expansion on the other side of the road which opened in Sep 2019. Previous names for the new extension were Al Maryah Central Mall and Sowwah Central Mall.
- The mall is now divided into 3 sections: The Luxury Collection, The Dining Collection, The Galleria Expansion. The project is a JV between Gulf Related, and Mubadala.
- Laser IMAX theater opened Sep 2019, operated by VOX Cinemas. The complex has 21 cinema screens in total, including Theatre by Rhodes, and a Kids Cinema.
- Kinokuniya bookshop expected to open early 2020. Waitrose supermarket opened in Oct 2019.
Galleria Mall timings
Opening times Sat-Wed 1000-2200 and Thu-Fri 1000-2400. Some restaurants and cafes might open earlier and/or later. Waitrose supermarket timings Sat-Wed 0800-2200, Thu and Fri 0800-2400, similar to other Waitrose locations in Abu Dhabi which are mostly open 0800-2300.
Car parking is mostly free. Exception is if you enter North or South car park between 0800 and 1100 on Sun-Thu, which then costs AED10 for 1-2 hours, or AED20 for more than 2 hours. Less than 1 hour is still free, entry before 0800 or after 1100 is free for any duration, entry on weekends and holidays is free parking any duration.
[Incomplete] The Galleria Al Maraya list of shops
As of Sep 2019, not all shops are open yet. Check with TGAMI for latest updates.
|large stores||2XL Furniture, Debenhams, Decathlon, H&M, Kinokuniya, Pottery Barn, United Furniture, Virgin Megastore, Zara and Zara Home|
|Banks and financial||ADCB, Al Ansari Exchange|
|Cafes and coffee shops||Bouchon Bakery, Bateel Boutique, Chaclet, Crust, Coya, Cafe Milano, Costa Coffee, Glo, Gossip Cafe & Desserts, Hidden Bar, Magnolia Bakery, Paul Cafe, Starbucks Reserve, Sprungli Boutique & Cafe|
Blaze Pizza, Charley's Philly Steaks, KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut
|Food courts||See Fast food or Restaurants|
|Restaurants||99 Sushi Bar, Asha's, Al Meylas, Aqua, Almaz by Momo, Butcher & Still, Bentley Kitchen, Dai Pai Dong, Eat Greek Kouzina, Keki, L'eto, La Petite Maison, La Cava & Cigar Room, Leopold's of London, Loca, Majlis, Nusr-Et, Nolu's, Off The Hook, PF Chang's, Raising Cane's, Roberto's, Signature, Shake Shack, Sambusek, SushiArt, The Cheesecake Factory, Texas Roadhouse, Zuma|
|Services||Ascots & Chapels tailors, Hour Choice, NStyle Beauty Lounge, Stitch in Time, Thrifty Car Rental, Urban Male Lounge|
|Other stores||Art Hub, Bin Sina Pharmacy, F Mart, Novus Art Gallery, Spinney's liquor store, The Healthy Shop, Waitrose, Yateem Optician|
|Entertainment||Mattel Lab (toys for kids), Urban Parks (rooftop park areas), VOX Cinemas, Xtreme Zone|
Entertainment and activities
- [Deleted?] Fabyland: soft play area for children, XD Dark Ride.
- Urban rooftop parks.
- Xtreme Zone: activity area including adventure rope course, bowling alley, climbing wall, Phaser Zone laser tag, trampolines.
Timeline and history
- 2019 Sep 04: The mall expansion opens to the public.
- 2019 May: Al Maryah Central Mall renamed as The Galleria Al Maryah Island so shoppers can have confusing conversations with taxi drivers about which Galleria mall they want to go to. Luckily the new Galleria is just across the road from the old Galleria.
- 2018 Nov 01: Macy's and Bloomingdale's pulled out of the Al Marayah Mall project according to a report in The National. Part of the vacant area would be used for a Debenham's department store instead. Mall opening date scheduled for Aug 2019.
- 2014 Nov 10: Groundbreaking ceremony for Sowwah Central mall project (not quite Q1 as forecast), and project renamed as Al Marayah Central. Also reported was that Bloomingdale's and Macy's would be the two anchor stores for the new mall.
- 2014 Aug 25: WWD (see also 2013 Feb 04) speculated that in addition to Bloomingdale's opening a store in Sowwah Central, Macy's would also open an outlet there.
- 2014 Q1: Planned (in 2013) date of start of construction work for Sowwah Central Mall.
- 2013 Oct: Another opening date for "The Galleria" mall (new developments in the UAE sometimes open for the first time more than once ... soft, partial, unofficial, official, inauguration).
- 2013 Aug 27: Opening date for "The Galleria" boutique mall in Sowwah Square on Al Maryah Island.
- 2013 Feb 04: Bloomingdale's might open a store in the new Sowwah Central Mall according to "sources" said a report in a US magazine, Women's Wear Daily (WWD). WWD got a "declined to comment" from Macy's (Bloomingdale parent company) when they asked.
- 2013 Jan: Sowwah Central Mall plans announced by Gulf Related. Opening date forecast given as spring 2017. Area 214,000 m² (not GLA?) including a shopping mall, hotel and residential towers, and a link to The Galleria shopping mall. Design by Elkus Manfredi Architects, two large anchor units from international department store chains, cinema complex, health club, and 80+ restaurants and other food outlets.
Contact information and location
- Tel +971-2-6166999 or Guest Services +971-2-4937400.
- Location: 105 Hamouda Bin Ali Al Dhaheri St, Al Maryah Island.
The Galleria at Sowwah Square mall
[Previous information (2015), merge or delete]
- Construction by Mubadala Development Company, architects Benoy Architects, interior design Elkus Manfredi.
- GLA of 355,000 square feet (33,000 sq m) on 2 floors with 110 retail units, opening date planned for Q4 2012. Updated 24 April 2012 (press release) - opening delayed to Q3 2013.
- Brands and retail outlets will include (not a complete list) Alexander McQueen, Aspinal of London, Balenciaga, Berluti, Bimba y Lola, Bottega Veneta, Boucheron, Brioni, Bulgari, Cartier, Celine, CH Carolina Herrera, Chaumet, Christian Louboutin, Coach, Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana, Fred Perry, Gucci, Hackett, Hugo Boss, IWC, Jimmy Choo, Kenzo, La Martina, La Senza, Lacoste, Longchamp, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Mulberry, Panerai, Paul Smith, Prada, Roger Dubuis, Sephora, Swarovski, Tory Burch, Van Cleef & Arpels, Vilebrequin.
- 16 Oct 2013 - The Galleria mall opening reported (exact opening date not given). GLA 33,000 sq meters with 125 stores, restaurants, cafes, and other outlets.
- Parent category: Shopping malls in Abu Dhabi.
- Child pages: none so far.
- Related pages (or categories - pages in footer): Al Maryah Island. [Unrelated] The Galleria Al Wasl Dubai, The Galleries Jebel Ali.
Last update Thursday 31-Oct-2019.
- www.thegalleria.ae - official website for The Galleria mall(s). English only? Can't find switch to Arabic language (/ar/ redirects to /en/).
- [Disabled] Submit URL.