Dubai Zoo in Jumeirah
Information about Dubai Zoo in Jumeirah - opening times, location, history, expansion plans for new zoo or safari park.
- The Dubai Zoo in Jumeirah was established in 1967 by the late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum (Ruler of Dubai at the time).
- Managed by the Dubai Municipality.
- Zoo population is about 1,000 animals (varies from 800 to 1,300 depending on who you listen to and when).
- Dubai Zoo area is relatively small at about 1.75 hectares. You can easily see the whole place in about an hour, longer if you try to talk to the animals or take lots of photos.
- Dubai Zoo has been criticised for the relatively small animal enclosures and cages. The criticism is probably deserved, but when you visit, it's easy to see there is no room for expansion at the current site. The question is not so much why there isn't more space given to the animals, but why Dubai seems to be reluctant to make an effort to relocate the zoo to an area with enough room to satisfy the animals, and zoo critics.
- Dubai Zoo has taken in a number of strays and confiscated animals (some residents of Dubai seem to have a strong desire to bring in banned or exotic animals as pets without much concern for the welfare of the animals, and when abandoned, they sometimes end up at the Dubai Zoo - the animals that is, not the human residents).
Dubai Zoo opening times, admission fees, facilities
- Open from 1000 to 1800 daily except Tuesdays, in summer. In winter open 1000-1730? Closed Tuesdays for cleaning?
- Except for the snake house, it's all outdoors so forget visiting in summer time - far too hot. Unless you bring an a/c umbrella with you.
- Admission is AED 2 (yes, that's all), in 2012. Children under 2 years old free or AED 1? Students AED 1?
- Snake room (house) open 1000-1200 and 1500-1800.
- Feeding times vary for different animals.
- Parking available by the main entrance, and also on the roads behind the zoo.
- A small, basic cafeteria (no seating) sells drinks and snacks.
Animal species at Dubai Zoo
- Homo sapiens - both male and female, large variety of subspecies imported from various countries around the world, as well as some local examples. Most are temporary exhibits, appearing for only a few hours at a time during the day before returning to their native habitats outside the zoo. In the evenings, visit the secondary branch of Dubai Zoo where homo sapien mating rituals can be observed, at the Rock Bottom nightclub.
Dubai Crocodile Park
- 26 Sep 2012 (WAM) - Dubai Municipality announced that a Dubai Crocodile Park would be built with opening date expected by end of 2013. Location opposite Mushrif Park, near the proposed Dubai Safari Park location. Project cost $10 million. Total of 30-40 crocodiles initially, possibly increasing to 100 crocodiles depending on how many and how quickly visitors are eaten.
Dubai Safari Park
- 13 May 2012 (WAM) Dubai Safari Project announced, area 400 hectares (450 ha also reported), located on Al Aweer Rd (Al Awir Rd) in Al Warqa 5 district.
- Includes Dubai Safari (park - to take over from Dubai Zoo), Dubai Butterfly Park, golf courses, entertainment and recreational areas.
- Dubai Safari (park) area of 60 hectares.
- Development cost reported as AED 150m, not clear if that was for the whole Dubai Safari Project, or just the Dubai Safari zoo park.
- Opening date of the new zoo and safari park planned for end of 2013 or first quarter of 2014?
New zoo in Dubai
- 13 May 2012 (WAM) - new Dubai Safari Project announced, to be located in Al Warqa'a area (Al Warqaa).
- 12 February 2012 (WAM news) - Dubai Municipality is planning to establish a new zoo in Dubai (again) to replace the current zoo located in Jumeirah, according to comments made by Eng. Hussian Nasser Lootah, Director General of Dubai Municipality. A report is expected to be completed by May 2012. The new zoo will still operate with caged enclosures rather than a safari style animal park. Location and construction schedule yet to be determined.
- The third new Dubai Zoo planned for Dubailand, area of about 350 acres, facilities to include a camel safari, zoo safari, night zoo, and children's educational facilities. Construction to take about 18 months. Update: plans cancelled.
- The second new Dubai Zoo announced in November 2005 by the Dubai Municipality, to be built in an extension of Mushrif Park. Construction to start in second half of 2007. Update: plans cancelled.
- The first new Dubai Zoo planned for Mushrif Park, construction to start in 2003. Update: plans cancelled.
Dubai Zoo contact details and location
- Dubai Zoo location is on Jumeirah Beach Road in Jumeirah 1 community or district.
- Tel toll-free (in UAE) 800-900. Other telephone number +971-4-3440462. Don't ask for Mr Lyon, someone's probably already tried that joke (no, it wasn't us).
- Public Parks & Horticulture Department Dubai Municipality tel +971-4-3497280.
Last update Monday 27-Jan-2014. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.