Al Hilal Islamic Bank
Al Hilal Bank
Al Hilal Islamic Bank (or AlHilal Bank) is an Abu Dhabi based Islamic Bank established by Royal Decree in July 2007. Hilal is Arabic for crescent moon. Hilal Bank was inaugurated almost a year later on Thursday 19 June 2008 with the first branch opening in Abu Dhabi on Saturday 21 June 2008, and another 3 branches opening in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, and Dubai on Sunday 22 June 2008. Opening hours are from 0800-1500 or 1530 initially, and eventually to 2130 Saturday-Thursday but check with individual branches for exact times.
Al Hilal Bank products and services
- Savings Accounts - monthly profit paid to account holders as long as account has more than minimum or average balance
- Current Accounts - includes chequebook and ATM card. Minimum balance 2000 dhs (or nil if salary transferred)
- Corporate Accounts - include chequebook.
- Term Deposits - for 3, 6, 9, 12 months, 2 years, or longer. Profit sharing arrangement.
- Personal Loans - Ijara for rent, school fees, travel, other services. Murabaha for items such as vehicles, machinery, home appliances & furniture.
- Vehicle Finance - up 100% of purchase price, and term of loan up to 72 months for new cars, 60 months for used cars. Shariah compliant loans offered under a Murabaha arrangement. No salary transfer needed.
- Credit Cards - a fee and 10% of outstanding balance needs to be paid each month, but no interest is charged.
All accounts have a number of free transactions per month, after which a fee is charged depending on type of transaction, and type of account.
About Al Hilal Bank
Hilal Bank was initially set up with AED 4 billion in authorised share capital and AED 1 billion paid up capital, making it the largest Islamic bank in the UAE. The bank is fully owned by the Abu Dhabi Investment Council (ADIC) and is the second Islamic bank to be established in Abu Dhabi, and the eighth UAE Islamic bank. The ADIC also has significant shareholdings in the National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) and Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank (ADCB).
Hilal Bank offers Sharia compliant banking services to the retail and corporate business sectors, in addition to investing in agricultural, industrial, and property sectors. Services will include Sharia compliant financing activities and consultancy, fund and portfolio management, investment advisory services, asset management, credit facilities, Islamic retail banking, Islamic investment banking. Additionally there are (or will be) Hilal Insurance and Hilal Real Estate subsidiaries. Several different names may be seen for the bank, including
- Al Hilal Bank
- Al Hilal Islamic Bank
- Crescent Bank
- Crescent Islamic Bank
- Hilal Bank
- Hilal Islamic Bank
Al Hilal Bank Corniche Branch in Al Sahel Towers, Abu Dhabi, is set up as a a financial shopping mall with individual kiosks or shop fronts along a main walkway, for each line of business including:
- automotive finance and car showroom
- art exhibition space to showcase local artists
- children's area
- ladies banking with a coffee shop
- personal banking
- theatre for presentations, speakers, and movies
- youth banking
Al Hilal Islamic Bank Board of Directors
- Hilal Bank Chairman was Eisa Mohammed Al Suwaidi (also written as Eissa, Isa, Issa Mohamed Al Suweidi), then HE Ahmed Ateeq Al Mazrouei according to news reports in 2009.
- Vice Chairman - Mohammed Hassan Omran
- Hilal Bank founders committee chairman - Khalil Mohammed Sharif Foulathi
- Director - Abdullah Nasser Al Suweidi
- Director - Younes Haji Khoury
- Director - Ahmed Sari Al Mazroui
Al Hilal Bank Management
- Hilal Bank CEO - Mohammad Jamil Dorrah (April 2008), Mohamed Berro (June 2008), Jamil Berro (June 2008) - different names reported for the same person.
- Chief Operating Officer - Prasad Abraham
- Finance and Strategic Planning Executive VP - Amgad Younes
- Operations and Information Technology Executive VP - Prasad Abraham
- Personal Banking Executive VP - Mohammed Zaqout
Al Hilal Bank contact information
- Head office address or location?
- 2nd Floor, Silver Tower, Abu Dhabi Corniche.
- Telephone and fax numbers (last checked Jun 2008)
- Tel +971-2-6271661 possibly.
- Tel +971-2-4994444 possibly.
- Tel +971-2-4994412 appears to be disconnected.
- Fax +971-2-6264818 possibly.
- Fax +971-4-2940017 possibly (Dubai).
- Fax +971-2-6272442 appears to be disconnected.
Online banking security
- Do not log in to a bank website after clicking on a link in an email or from a search engine. Carefully type in a website URL obtained ONLY from an official bank source.
- Before you log in, check that the URL at least has https, not http, in front of the domain name, and a padlock icon at the bottom or top of the browser window somewhere.
- Never write down or tell anyone your login password.
- Never reply to an email or a phone call asking for your online username or password.
Al Hilal Bank subsidiaries established or planned
- Al Hilal Islamic Brokerage, Sharia compliant broker for stocks and shares trading.
- Al Hilal brokers is (or will be) a subsidiary of Al Hilal Bank. According to the CEO, Mohammad Berro, in a Gulf News report 20 Aug 2008: "We will also establish our own brokerage arm to manage portfolios according to Sharia laws, and we intend to provide the most innovative solutions in this field."
- Al Hilal Real Estate Company, a property development company with up to AED 500 million share capital.
- Al Hilal Islamic Bank intends to establish Al Hilal Real Estate with AED 500 million of share capital. The Al Hilal Bank property development company will invest in projects in Abu Dhabi and the UAE.
- As of August 2008, Al Hilal Real Estate is still in the planning stage. The CEO, Mohammed Berro, said in an August 2008 interview with the Gulf News: "... and the studies to establish our real estate arm are now in the final stages. Al Hilal Real Estate will be fully-owned by the bank, and will become one of the main developers in Abu Dhabi and the UAE, with paid-up capital not less than Dh500 million."
- Al Hilal Takaful - a Sharia compliant (Islamic) insurance firm with AED 100 million of share capital.
Last update Saturday 11-Apr-2009.
- www.alhilalbank.ae - official Al Hilal Bank website but for online internet banking get the link directly from an official bank source.
- [Avoid] www.alhilalbank.com - might be spam, be careful visiting this site.
- [Avoid] www.hilalbank.com - might be spam, or worse, we got a redirect to malware when we tried to visit.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.