Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
The International School of Choueifat, or SABIS School Network, is a school system that began in the town of Choueifat in Lebanon in the late 1800s, and later expanded throughout the Middle East and around the world with the first UAE Chouiefat school opening in Sharjah (in 1975?). The Choueifat, or SABIS Education System, is academically intensive and rigorous with frequent testing, and a fairly rigid syllabus. The advantage being that students and parents who change schools during the academic year should find continuity in the material being studied, at all levels and in all subjects. If you're unfamiliar with the SABIS system, do some research before sending your children to a Choueifat school, or accepting a teaching job (as you should with any school) as the system doesn't suit everyone.
List of Choueifat schools in the UAE - Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah and other emirates
|Institute name||Level||Curriculum||Qualifications||School Fees||Comments|
|Choueifat Abu Dhabi||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||19,178-35,090||CAD comments|
|Choueifat Al Ain||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||20,000-35,000||CAA comments|
|Choueifat Dubai||K-12||Choueifat, UK, US||SABIS||19,800-38,000||CD comments|
|Choueifat Dubai Green Community||K-12||Choueifat, UK, US||SABIS||23,800-45,400|
|Choueifat Khalifa City||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||20,000-35,300||CKC comments|
|Choueifat Ras Al Khaimah||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||15,000-30,000||CRAK comments|
|Choueifat Ruwais||Choueifat||SABIS||CR comments|
|Choueifat Sharjah||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||12,000-24,000||CS comments|
|Choueifat Umm Al Quwain||K-12||Choueifat||SABIS||CUAQ comments|
|Ruwais Private School||Choueifat||SABIS||RPS comments|
Chouiefat Schools and SABIS organization profile and contact details
|Location||Lebanon||Choueifat / SABIS founded in 1886|
|Telephone||+971-4-3999444||Dubai Choueifat tel no.|
|Fax||+971-4-3999045||Dubai Choueifat fax no.|
SABIS and International School of Choueifat management and personnel
- To be updated
14 April 2012
01 September 2009
- Teachers planning to move to Dubai and the UAE should attempt to get some feedback from other Choueifat teachers to avoid undesirable surprises about teaching and working conditions in Dubai. As with many schools in Dubai, what management tell teachers, and what teachers understand, often seems to be quite different, with those differences not becoming apparent until arrival in Dubai, or later.
- List of Chouiefat schools updated.
18 May 2007
All Choueifat International Schools in the UAE are listed in the UAE schools list as "Choueifat-Emirate" in each emirate where there is one (there isn't a Chouiefat International School in Ajman or Fujairah) ie
- International School of Choueifat Abu Dhabi - also known as ISC ABD or ISC Abu Dhabi.
- International School of Choueifat Al Ain - also known as ISC AAN or ISC Al Ain.
- International School of Choueifat Dubai - also known as ISC DXB or ISC Dubai.
- International School of Choueifat Khalifa City - ISCKC new for September 2006
- International School of Choueifat Ras Al Khaimah - also known as ISC RAK or ISC Ras Al Khaimah.
- International School of Choueifat Ruwais - also known as ISC Ruwais or Ruwais Private School.
- International School of Choueifat Sharjah - also known as ISC SHJ or ISC Sharjah.
- International School of Choueifat Umm Al Quwain - also known as ISC UAQ or ISC Umm Al Quwain.
General comments applicable to all Choueifat schools are that they are academically rigorous with an intensive study schedule. Chouiefat homework policy means that students will normally have many hours of homework to do, and even primary school students sit exams at least every week. Teachers are given SABIS lesson plans to follow and are expected to adhere to the schedule. The theory underlying this philosophy is that it makes it possible for anyone to teach any given subject since the content is already provided and the teacher simply acts as a manager of learning. This theory is not popular with many teachers especially when it results in, for example, secondary trained teachers teaching primary school students. An advantage of this system (and a reason for its implementation) is that students who transfer from one Choueifat school to another will not have any disruption to their courses since they are all supposed to be synchronised across all Choueifat Schools internationally. The Choueifat system or SABIS system is not for everyone but it is fair to say that students usually end up with a good academic preparation for continuing their studies at college or university. Extra-curricular activities are often limited compared to other schools.
- Parents are not allowed to communicate directly with teachers about their children? No parent-teacher evenings?
- Total number of students in the SABIS network about 33,000 (also includes all international Choueifat schools outside the UAE) (unconfirmed estimate).
- If you're looking for a job at a Chouiefat School, visit their careers website, www.sabiscareers.com.
- Choeifat teacher salaries about AED 5000-6000 per month in the UAE (as of about 2005 or before). Updated salary and benefits information not supplied.
- Overseas package includes accommodation (sometimes on the same site as a Choueifat school, and usually shared with other Choueifat teachers).
- The Choueifat organisation was founded in Lebanon in 1886. As of 2006, the SABIS network covers 41 schools in 15 different countries.
- Choueifat is listed on Ministry of Education website as Al Showayfat International Private School in the emirates of (using MOE spellings) Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Al Sharjah, Umm al Qaywayn, Alin, Al Gharbeya (for Ruwais) but not in Al Fujairah or Ajman.
- Other spellings of Chouiefat School (not usually accepted as correct) include Cheofat, Cheufat, Choefat, Choeifat, Choeiufat, Choeufat, Choeuifat, Choiefat, Choifat, Choieufat, Choiuefat, Choufat, Chouefat, Chouiefat, Shoeifat, Shoufat, Shouiefat, Shoueifat, Shuafat, Shulfat.
- Other emirate spellings include Abu Dabi, Fujeirah, Ras Al Khaima, Sharja, Um Al Quwain, Umm Al Quawain, Um Al Quawain, Umm Al Quwayn, Um Al Quwayn, Umm Al Quywayn, Um Al Quywayn.
Choueifat / SABIS schools in the Middle East
- 6 October City Choueifat, Egypt
- Adma Choueifat, Lebanon
- Al Ain Military High School, Al Ain, UAE
- Amman Choueifat, Jordan
- Cairo Choueifat, Egpyt
- Choueifat Lebanon - Charles Saad St, Amrosieh-Chouiefat, tel +961-5-4316000, email firstname.lastname@example.org, www.iscleb-sabis.net
- Damascus Choueifat, Syria
- Doha Choueifat, Qatar
- Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq - International School of Choueifat. Location Massif Road, Khanzad area. Telephone +964-750-4164444, +964-750-8139850, email email@example.com, website www.iscerbil-sabis.net.
- Homs Choueifat, Syria
- Koura Choueifat, Lebanon
- Lahore Choueifat, Pakistan
- Manama Chouiefat, Bahrain
- Muscat Choueifat, Oman
- Riyadh Choueifat, Saudi Arabia (KSA)
- Suleimaniah, Kurdistan, Iraq - International School of Choueifat. Address: German Village, 60m Street. Telephone +964-770-4631155, +964-748-0159129, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.iscsuli-sabis.net.
Sabis Public Private Partnership government schools in the Middle East (in 2010?)
- Al Ghayathi, Abu Dhabi, UAE - 7 schools
- Al Khazna, Abu Dhabi, UAE - 4 schools
- Al Maqam, Abu Dhabi, UAE - 10 schools
- Al Silaa, Abu Dhabi, UAE - 3 schools
- Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq - 2 schools
Choueifat / SABIS network schools in North America
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, New York, USA (Licensed Member School)
- Holyoke Community Charter School, Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
- Linwood Public Charter School, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA (PPP school)
- Mt Auburn International Academy, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- International Charter School of Springfield, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
- International Academy of Flint, Flint, Michigan, USA
- International Academy of Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan, USA
- Milestone Sabis Academy of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Sabis International School, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- The International School of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Choueifat / SABIS network schools in Europe
- Cambridge School of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
- ISF Internationale Schule Frankfurt-Rhein-Main, Frankfurt, Germany
- ISR Internationale Schule am Rhein in Neuss, Neuss, Germany
- Sabis International School UK, Bath, England (previously International School of Choueifat UK, name changed 28 February 2006). Also called Ashwicke Hall School Limited?
Last update Tuesday 01-Apr-2014
- Abu Dhabi PPP - Choueifat / SABIS is one of Public Private Partnership providers in AbuDhabi
- Abu Dhabi schools list
- Dubai schools list
- Education providers - other school owners and operators in Dubai and the UAE
- Teaching in the UAE - general information
- www.iscalumni.com - International School of Choueifat Alumni Association
- www.sabiscareers.com - apply for a teaching job at a SABIS / Choueifat school
- www.sabis.net - Choueifat SABIS network website but no contact information found, contact details above for the Dubai Chouiefat School.
- sabisstinks.wordpress.com - a blog by one or more obviously disgruntled teachers (now ex-teachers) in Sabis schools.
- sabisspeaks.wordpress.com - apparently a blog by undisgruntled (or whatever the opposite of disgruntled is) parents happy with the Sabis education system.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.