Zayed University Abu Dhabi
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Zayed University Abu Dhabi
|University name||Zayed University Abu Dhabi|
|Director's name||Dr Larry Wilson (Provost)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)||4,000|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||government non-profit university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||Khalifa City - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 4783, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Zayed University Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Abu Dhabi universities forum
ZU campuses in the UAE
ZU courses and programs
- See Zayed University in Academic City Dubai information
Institute for Islamic World Studies (IIWS) (Abu Dhabi ZU only?)
- Master's programs in (reported by Gulf News 18 December 2011), all starting in January 2012:
- Master of Arts in Contemporary Islamic Studies (MACIS)
- Master of Arts in Endowment Studies (MAES)
- Master of Arts in Islamic Economics and Wealth Management (MAIEWM?)
- Master of Arts in Islamic World Studies (MAIWS)
- Executive Director of IIWS is Dr Nasser Arif (18 December 2011 news report)
ZU Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding
- Injazat Data Systems (UAE) MOU signed with ZU. Zayed University students and faculty will be able to visit Injazat facilities for increased learning opportunities, Injazat will send staff to deliver lectures, seminars, etc at ZU. Injazat and ZU will also co-ordinate on the organisation of workshops and similar activities (press release 30 March 2011).
- Khalifa University MOU with ZU to enhance prospects of mutual cooperation and development in areas of higher education and joint scientific research, particularly at the ZU College of Business Sciences (appears to be relevant mostly or only in Abu Dhabi). New undergraduate programs planned at ZU for KU students as a result of the MOU include Accounting in 2011, Human Resource Management in 2012, Finance in 2013, and Marketing in 2014. ZU will also offer introductory courses in Management, Economics, and Social Science to Khalifa University students for the academic year 2011-2012. It wasn't clear from the report what KU was offering ZU students (WAM news 25 December 2010).
09 December 2012
- New Zayed University (ZU) building in Khalifa B City and the Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak Hall at ZU inaugurated (WAM).
20 November 2011
- Zayed University plans to expand into the Western Region of Abu Dhabi (Al Gharbia). A new ZU campus is planned for the town of Madinat Zayed in the new Education City development being planned by the Western Region Development Council (WRDC) (reported in The National 20 November 2011).
14 September 2011
- New Zayed University Abu Dhabi campus opened 04 September 2011. Construction cost reported as AED 3.7 billion by WAM news (some reports previously said AED 4 billion, others said AED 3 billion). Official opening ceremony to be held on 07 December 2011.
- Facilities include area of 188,000 square meters (80 hectares?), 28 buildings, capacity for 6,000 students, 400 seminar rooms, conference hall/convention center with 1,000 seats, large library, cafeteria and dining halls, coffee shops, shopping mall, student accommodation, radio and television production studios, sports centers and gyms, lots of car parking, childcare center.
- The new campus sounds good or bad depending on which newspaper you read. The National had a report on 12 September 2011 with the heading "Teething problems at new Dh3.7bn Zayed University campus" (poor mobile phone reception, confused security guards, non-working audiovisual equipment and airconditioning, students complaining about having to walk long distances, no wireless internet, no bus service to the campus, and so on) but did have a few comments from happy students and faculty - While its size and location daunted some, others were happy with the move. The Khaleej Times on 13 September 2011 had a report headed "Zayed varsity’s new campus wows students" but highlighted some teething problems - However, as typical of new facilities, there are teething problems that need to be resolved such as ensuring strict segregation of the males and females.
- Contact details updated. Previously were telephone +971-2-4453300, fax +971-2-4434847 (unknown if still valid).
20 June 2011 - New Provost at Zayed University
- Dr Larry Wilson is the new Provost at ZU Abu Dhabi (he was also provost prior to 2007). Previously was Dr Daniel Johnson, who left in April 2011. Interim Provost was then Dr Tom Cochran who was apparently named as the new Provost earlier in June 2011, but wasn't according to Dr Wilson - Dr Wilson insisted yesterday that Dr Cochran had only ever been in temporary charge (The National 20 June 2011).
- New campus construction cost AED 4 billion (previously reported as AED 3 billion).
03 April 2011 - New Zayed University campus Khalifa City opening date
- The new Zayed University (ZU) campus in Khalifa City will open in September 2011 according to press reports. Official opening ceremony expected to be in December 2011. Oddly, some reports dated 31 March 2011 said "Zayed University’s new Abu Dhabi campus was opened today, 31st July, welcoming students to the new academic year, beginning September." It wasn't.
- Construction cost about AED 3 billion in a joint venture between ZU, Mubadala, and ADEC.
- Facilities include 3 main campuses with 28 buildings including a 1,000 seat convention center, a sports complex, residential buildings children’s education centre with childcare facilites. Total area of new campus is 18.8 hectares. Capacity of 6,000 students (with possible future increase to 10,000 students) with separate campuses and facilities for male and female students.
- Architect and designer is Hadi Teherani of Germany.
- The old campus in Abu Dhabi will be closed when the new one opens.
06 May 2010
- ZU Dubai plans to establish a Confucius Institute in Dubai, and a Confucius Institute in Abu Dhabi as part of the ZU campuses to encourage Chinese language and cultural studies.
21 December 2009
- Zayed Diplomatic Academy - in Abu Dhabi launched, offering Graduate Certificate of Diplomacy and International Affairs
11 September 2009
- Zayed University accepts foreign students for academic year 2009-2010 at both Abu Dhabi and Dubai campuses.
- President of ZU is Sheikh Nahyan Mubarak Al Nahayan, the UAE Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- Vice-President of ZU is Dr Sulaiman Al Jassim.
- Zayed University not found in list of institutions or programs accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research? Seems odd.
04 June 2009 - New Zayed University Campus Abu Dhabi (press release/WAM)
- New Abu Dhabi Zayed University campus being constructed in Khalifa City B location. Planned opening date September 2011?
- Campus area 213,000 sq meters. Plot area about 75 hectares. Capacity 6000 students. Developer Mubadala Development Company.
- Facilities will include sports complex and conference center, 18,000 sq meter library, the usual collection of classrooms, laboratories, cafeteria, etc.
- Groundbreaking ceremony 03 June 2009?
- Contractor is an Al Habtoor-Murray and Roberts (AHMR) joint venture. Contract value AED 3 billion. Contract awarded November 2008.
18 November 2008
- Zayed University now accepts male Emirati students who attend at a separate campus.
- There is also a Zayed International College Dubai for foreign students.
09 March 2007
- Zayed University Abu Dhabi (ZU Abu Dhabi) is for female Emirati students. See also Zayed University Dubai Campus.
- Subjects include business, IT, arts, sciences, education and communications.
Last update 14 September 2011
General comments - might not apply to Zayed University Abu Dhabi
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
|Universities||Abu Dhabi universities | Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ universities | Dubai universities | Ras Al Khaimah universities | Sharjah universities | UAE universities|
|MBAs||Abu Dhabi MBA | Dubai MBA | UAE MBA|
|Abu Dhabi education||List of Abu Dhabi universities | List of Abu Dhabi colleges | List of Abu Dhabi schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.