[Closed] Uptown High School
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Uptown High School in Dubai
|School name||Uptown High School|
|Type of institute||private profit-making secondary school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||International|
|Qualifications or Courses||IBMYP, IB DP|
|Head of school||Elizabeth Loadwick (Principal)|
|Executive body or owner||Beacon Education >> Madaares >> Taaleem|
|Date founded||September 2008|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Muhaisnah 4, Al Ghusais - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 20252, Dubai, UAE|
|Telephone||closed Jun 2011|
|School fees structure||54,000-66,000 dhs per year (2010-2011)|
|Teacher salary range||15,000 dhs per month (2009-2010)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Uptown High School admissions, reviews, notes
Uptown High School reviews - add yours here.
Uptown High School (UHS) (Uptown Secondary School Dubai, USS) tuition fees, general information
Uptown High School in Muhaisnah closed June 2011. A new secondary school section starts September 2013 at the Uptown Mirdiff school location. This page archived for reference.
Uptown schools: Uptown Primary (relocated to Uptown School) | Uptown High School (closed) | Uptown International School, Uptown K12 School - same as Uptown School
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011||33,000||33,000||39,000||39,000||45,000||45,000||45,000||54,000||54,000||54,000||54,000||54,000||66,000¹||66,000¹|
|Annual fees (AED) 2009-2010||28,580||28,580||33,780||33,780||38,980||38,980||38,980||49,000||51,000||53,000||56,000||59,000||64,000||69,000|
|Annual fees (AED) 2008-2009||25,520||25,520||34,800||34,800||34,800|
|Annual fees (AED) 2007-2008||25,520||25,520||39,440|
- Grade 11 annual fee AED 60,000 after discount of AED 6,000, and Grade 12 fee AED 54,000 after discount of 12,000 according to UHS website (30 November 2010).
- 2010-2011 estimated fees updated with supplied information November 2010.
- 2009-2010 fees are estimated only, based on KHDA permitted fees increase, and not confirmed.
- Application fee AED 500, registration fee AED 2000 (or Registration Fee AED 500 from 2009?).
- Uptown Primary School fees included for reference only. First year of Uptown High School is grade 6.
- Location is off Amman St, Muhaisinah 4, Al Qusais, near Lulu Village. Previously site was occupied by the Modern Renaissance School in Dubai (closed in June 2006). School location map marked in some sources (Google Maps) as in Al Muhaisnah 4 between Lulu Village and the RTA depot is incorrect, it's an apartment building.
- Location map marker A is old Muhaisna UPS site (became Al Hesn Private School after UPS closed), marker B is new Uptown School campus complex in Mirdif with Uptown secondary section starting September 2013. Map updated 20 November 2013.
17 November 2013 review
- Website domain www.uptownhigh.ae looks like it was hacked or is spam or something. A USA based company (Lutz Creative Group) not apparently related to Uptown High School appears to have taken over the site domain.
- The new Uptown School in Mirdif is expanding to include Uptown elementary school, and Uptown secondary school levels. Location is at the corner of Algeria and Tripoli roads. Middle and high school levels are grades 7-9 from September 2013. Grade 10 or grades 10-12 start from September 2014 (conflicting information provided).
22 April 2012 review
- A new Uptown School for K-12 students will open in September 2012 (but only KG to start with).
30 June 2011
- Uptown High School closed at the end of the 2010-2011 academic year (although UHS website is still in operation). A statement (undated) on the UHS website says "Please note that Uptown High will close at the end of this academic year (June 2011). ... The majority of Uptown High faculty and students are moving to these schools" referring to Jumeira Baccalaureate School (JBS) and Greenfield Community School (GCS).
- Gulf News reported that a letter from the CEO of Taaleem, Ziad J. Azam, said "The decision is based on formal feedback we have received from parents of both Uptown Primary School (UPS) and Uptown High over the past three years"
- Gulf News also reported that a newsletter said there were plans for a K-12 Uptown School in Mirdiff but no opening date was supplied. The 19 June 2011 newsletter said "You will have heard the news that we now have a new plot for 'Uptown 3' and the building of this new campus will commence after the summer."
- Another statement (also undated) on the UHS website said "The Primary School will remain in Mirdif and the High School will relocate to Jumeira in September 2011." Possibly refers to Jumeira Baccalaureate School which opened in September 2010 and is also operated by Taleem.
- Old contact details were (unknown if still valid or any redirects operating) - Telephone +971-4-2641818, fax +971-4-2641919, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.uptownhigh.ae.
17 June 2011
- According to a report in The National, a newsletter was sent out to parents at GEMS Royal Dubai School dated 09 June 2011 that said "Having heard the news that Uptown School in Mirdif will be closing,"
- The report also said "However, Taaleem, the operator of the Uptown school, said it had no plans to close their Mirdif school. But it had informed parents it was closing its secondary campus in Uptown Muhaisnah at the end of the year ..." Given that Muhaisnah is next door to Mirdiff, and that people sometimes aren't sure if "Uptown School" means the primary or high school, or both (it's the primary school), a bit of confusion could be understandable.
30 November 2010
- Uptown High School (UPS) updated fees information supplied for 2010-2011.
- Removed from list of Special Needs Schools in Dubai as UPS not a special needs school according to email supplied.
- Curriculum is International according to information supplied. A US or UK curriculum is not offered (information updated).
19 May 2010
- Uptown School in Mirdif was reported in Dubai newspapers on 19 May 2010 as being given permission by the KHDA to implement up to 20% fees increase for 2010-2011. Presumably the report was referring to Uptown School in Mirdiff (or Uptown Primary School - both names are used) but that wasn't clear so fees estimate for the high school have been given until correct information is supplied.
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011||34,296||34,296||40,536||40,536||46,776||46,776||46,776||58,800||61,200||63,600||67,200||70,800||76,800||82,800|
- In March 2010, the KHDA announced a freeze on school fee increases in Dubai, unless there were exceptional circumstances. It is not clear what those exceptional circumstances were for the Uptown Schools.
19 August 2009
- Uptown High School (UHS) IB Diploma program starts from September 2009 for Grade 11 students. Grade 12 (second year of IB Diploma program) classes assumed to start in September 2010. Grades 11 and 12 to be known as DP1 and DP2?
- Head of Uptown High School is Tony Sharman (since January 2009?)
- Email and telephone contacts etc updated (email@example.com no longer valid, tel +971-4-2886270 and fax +971-4-2886271 are for Uptown Primary School).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org should also be valid.
- Fees information for 2009-2010 not found, but as the KHDA rating for 2008-2009 was "Acceptable", Uptown High is entitled to a 9% increase which would imply 49,000-59,000 dhs for 2009-2010 up to grade 10. Grade 11 and 12 fees are likely to be higher. Additional registration fee AED 500.
- Facilities include basketball court, gymnasium, football field, library, specialist rooms (dance, design and technology, drama, IT, music, science, etc) swimming pool (25m).
- Uptown High website says they have "facilities for the physically challenged" and "Exceptional children with specific learning needs are catered for through a dedicated department staffed by qualified and passionate specialists in this important area of education." Not clear what level of special needs students are accepted.
07 April 2009
- Uptown High School was awarded IB World accreditation for the IB Diploma program according to news on the Taaleem website: "Taaleem is proud to announce that Raha International School in Abu Dhabi and Uptown High School in Dubai have both received IB World accreditation for their Diploma Programmes."
02 August 2008
- Uptown High School (UHS) offers the IBMYP program up to grade 10, not clear from website if or when classes will be extended to grades 11 & 12 but presumably grade 11 will start September 2009 and grade 12 the year after.
- Tuition fees 45,000-54,000 for 2008-2009. Add 2000 dhs registration fees.
- Uptown High has the same principal and owner (Taaleem, previously known as Beacon Education) as Uptown Primary School (UPS or Uptown School) but is located in Muhaisnah 4. Contact details are for Uptown Primary School Mirdiff location.
Last update 20 November 2014
- International schools in Dubai
- Study in Dubai - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Dubai - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Dubai - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Dubai education||Nurseries in Dubai | Schools in Dubai | New schools in Dubai 2019-2020 | Special needs in Dubai | Colleges in Dubai | Universities in Dubai | KHDA | KHDA school inspections ||
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.