Monday 30 March 2020 (UAE)
University of Wollongong Dubai
University of Wollongong Dubai
|University name||University of Wollongong Dubai|
|Director's name||Professor Ghassan Aouad (President from 01 Jan 2012)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)||3500|
|Number of staff (approx)||200|
|Type of institute||private university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||Room G-05, Block 15, Knowledge Village, Al Sofouh - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 20183, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.uowdubai.ac.ae (new window)|
|Qualifications||BBA, BCom, BIT, MBA, DBA, PhD|
|University fees||41,100-43,350 dhs per year (2009-2010)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
University of Wollongong Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about University of Wollongong Dubai
University of Wollongong Dubai degree courses and programs, and fee structure (2009-2010)
|Degree program||Duration||Annual Fees²
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) part-time (from Sep 2011)|
|Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)¹||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Computer Science||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Computer Science in Digital Security Systems (DSS)||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Computer Science in Multimedia Technology||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Information Technology in Management Information Systems (MIS)||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Bachelor of Internet Science and Technology||4 years||43,350||173,400|
|Master of Applied Finance and Banking (MAFB)||5 semesters||41,100||68,500|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||2 years||41,100||82,200|
|Master of Engineering Management (MEM)||5 semesters||41,100||68,500|
|Master of Information Technology Management (MITM)||5 semesters||41,100||68,500|
|Master of International Business (MIB)||4 semesters||41,100||54,800|
|Master of International Studies (from February 2012)|
|Master's in Media and Communications (MA) (from February 2012)|
|Master of Quality Management (MQM)||4 semesters||41,100||54,800|
|Master of Science in Logistics - MSc (Log)||4 semesters||41,100||54,800|
|Master of Strategic Human Resource Management (MSHRM)||4 semesters||41,100||54,800|
|Master of Strategic Marketing (MSM)||4 semesters||41,100||54,800|
|Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) full-time - from September 2010?||6 semesters||83,750||167,500|
|Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) part-time option 1||8 semesters||72,100||192,500|
|Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) part-time option 2||10 semesters||65,315||217,500|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - from September 2010?|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) full-time - from September 2010?||8 semesters||84,270||225,000|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) part-time option 1||10 semesters||75,100||250,000|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) part-time option 2||12 semesters||68,750||275,000|
|Other Courses, Certificates, Diplomas|
|Post-Graduate Certificate in Accounting Forensics|
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Marketing, Property Development and Management.
- Calculated values, not supplied values. Should be seen as estimates only, and might vary depending on course load.
- UOWD operates 3 semesters per year for graduate courses, Spring (January – April), Summer (May – July), and Autumn (August – December). Master's degrees can usually be completed in less than 2 years, or quicker if students take on a higher course load.
- DBA fees per annum calculated based on duration of program including coursework (9 subjects at AED 7,500 per subject) and research.
- PhD fees per annum calculated based on duration of program including coursework (10 subjects at AED 7,500 per subject) and research.
- Accommodation available at Ewan Residences (male students) and Jebel Ali Gardens (female students) for AED 7,000-12,700 per semester in 2009-2010 depending on gender, whether post or under graduate, and type of accommodation. Ewan Residences have rooms and 1-3 bedroom apartments, Jebel Ali Gardens are 3 bedroom apartments only.
- Student visa fees AED 6,000 but that includes a refundable deposit of up to AED 2,500. Visa renewal fees not clear.
- Health insurance through Oman Insurance Company is AED 1200 but only for students on UOWD visa sponsorship.
- The Center for Language and Culture offers IELTS, TOEFL, and CELTA courses and exam preparation.
University of Wollongong in Dubai MOUs and agreements
- Emirates Islamic Bank (EIB) - MOU signed to encourage EIB employees to study UOWD courses, with a 10% discount on fees offered (press release 11 October 2010).
University of Wollongong Dubai new courses, programs, degrees, accreditation
- 07 September 2011 (press release) - UOWD announced a part-time option for the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree. Classes will be from 1730-2130 on weekdays and 0930-1330 on Saturdays.
- 21 July 2011 (press release) - CAA accreditation of UOWD Master of International Studies degree announced (press release). Course starts September 2011?
- 22 August 2010 (press release) - CAA accreditation of new UOWD PhD degree announced. Program begins September 2010.
19 December 2012
- UOWD President Professor Ghassan Aouad reported as leaving. Name of new president not supplied.
01 June 2012
- UOW Australia was in 32nd place (tied with 2 others, although other reports said it was in 33rd place) in a new university ranking list added to the World University Rankings portfolio - the Times Higher Education (THE) list of Top 100 universities under 50 years old (globally). It's not clear if that means the THE thinks the Dubai campus of UOW is any good or not - the Dubai UAE campus was not mentioned in the list. In 1st place was Pohang University of Science and Technology in the Republic of Korea.
- In the THE World University Rankings 2011-2012, Wollongong Australia is in 275th spot out of 400 ranked institutions (none from the UAE made it into that list)?
20 May 2012
- Additional new campus section opened in Knowledge Village Block 14 on 17 May 2012, expands capacity to 5,000 students in 3 blocks. Currently Wollongong Dubai (UOWD) has 3,600 students (press release 20 May 2012).
31 January 2012
- UOWD announced the new president (again?) as Professor Ghassan Aouad (press release).
07 October 2011
- New President of UOWD will be Professor Ghassan Aouad from 01 January 2012 (press release). Mr David William Rome is Interim President until then.
11 August 2010 - CAA accreditation of DBA degree
- UOWD press release announces they have received approval from the Commission for Academic Accreditation at the UAE MOHESR for the new Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) course.
- UOWD is reportedly the first and only accredited DBA degree offered in the UAE.
- UOWD hopes to complete candidate selection and admissions procedures by October 2010, with DBA coursework start date in October or November 2010.
- DBA coursework fees AED 67,500 (9 subjects at AED 7,500 per subject), research fees AED 100,000 for 6 semesters full-time, AED 125,000 for 8 semesters part-time, AED 150,000 for 10 semesters part-time. Total is AED 167,500-AED 217,500.
26 May 2010 - UOWD Sports Scholarships
- University of Wollongong Dubai announced in a press release that they are offering sports scholarships. Scholarships have been available since 2006?
- Six full scholarships per year are available to students who have represented their state or country in sports such as badminton, basketball, cricket, football, table tennis, and volleyball.
- Scholarships are worth about AED 125,000 each? Linked to academic performance - minimum of 65% needs to be maintained in each subject otherwise the scholarship is cancelled.
04 January 2010
- University of Wollongong has student accommodation at the Ewan Residences area in Dubai Investment Park, a little closer to UOW in Knowledge Village than the previous accommodation block in Ajman (about 20-30 mins drive versus 1-2 hours).
- Rental costs about AED 7,500 per term.
03 January 2010
- Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, an ex-Wollongong Dubai student from early 2009, became famous (or infamous) worldwide when he tried to set off some PETN explosives in his trousers on Northwest Airlines flight 253 between Amsterdam in The Netherlands and Detroit in the USA on Christmas Day 2009. He set himself on fire, was subdued by other passengers, and was arrested when the plane landed.
10 December 2009 - Doctorate degrees at UOW Dubai
- University of Wollongong Dubai will start offering doctoral programs from September 2010 according to a report in the Khaleej Times.
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees will be offered.
- Prerequisites will include work experience, good Master's degree, English language proficiency.
- Course intake limited to 10 students.
27 August 2008 - New president of University of Wollongong in Dubai
- Professor Rob Whelan has been appointed president of the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) for an initial 3 year term according to press reports.
- From 2002-2008, Prof Whelan was Dean of the Faculty of Science at University of Wollongong, Australia.
- He is a Fulbright scholar, and has worked in the UK and the US.
23 December 2006
- Wollongong University in Dubai (UOWD) is one of the better universities in Dubai. Accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) and the Australian government, audited by the Australian Universities Quality Agency. All UOWD courses accredited by end of 2004.
- Bachelor programs include Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Finance, HRM, Management, and Marketing specializations), Bachelor of Computer Science, Bachelor of Internet Science and Technology.
- Masters programs include MBA, Masters in International Business, Masters in Quality Management, Masters in Strategic Human Resource Management, Masters in Strategic Marketing.
- IELTS, CELTA, Arabic language courses, Professional Diplomas and Certificates of Proficiency also available.
- Tuition fees about AED 27,000-32,000 for Bachelor and Master programs (approximately). See UOWD website for more fee details and for other courses.
- Shared accommodation available (males and females segregated) in two locations off campus for 6,500-9,000 dhs per semester (2 semesters per year).
- Academic year from April to January (two semesters/sessions).
- Founder and vice-principal is James Langridge. CEO is Professor Nick van der Walt.
- Around 85% of students are non-native English speaking (which is not unusual for a Dubai university).
Last update 07 November 2011
General comments - might not apply to University of Wollongong Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Knowledge Village - tertiary institutes and related services in Al Sofouh, Dubai.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- University Quality Assurance Board Dubai (UQAIB) - licences DKV organisations in Dubai
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|MBAs||MBA in Abu Dhabi | MBA in Dubai | MBA in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.