University of Waterloo Dubai
||University of Waterloo Dubai
||Dr Peter Douglas (Director)
|Executive body or owner
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
|University location / area
||Dubai Academic City, HCT Dubai Men's College - location map
||PO Box 15825, Dubai, UAE
||BE, BEng, CFA, PRM
||72,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Comments about University of Waterloo Dubai
Add a comment or review about University of Waterloo Dubai
University of Waterloo courses and programs in Dubai
- Chemical Engineering - Bachelor of Applied Science (from September 2009)
- Civil Engineering - Bachelor of Applied Science (from September 2009)
- Financial Analysis and Risk Management - Bachelor of Mathematics (from September 2010)
- IT Management - Bachelor of Mathematics (from September 2010).
06 November 2012
- University of Waterloo Dubai will close at the end of the 2012-2013 academic year, and students will go to the main Canadian campus from September 2013 to complete their studies.
- A statement from Waterloo which announced the closure said The recommendation was based on a thorough assessment, which determined the existing program – while positive for students and in terms of the relationship Waterloo developed with our partner institute – in its current form and structure does not meet the central strategic goals and expectations of either Waterloo or the Higher Colleges of Technology.
- Website domain URL uae.uwaterloo.ca forwards to uwaterloo.ca/united-arab-emirates/.
04 November 2009 (press release)
- University of Waterloo Dubai official opening ceremony held in Dubai with the HCT Chancellor, Sheikh Nahyan Mubarak Al Nahyan, and the UW President, Professor David Johnston, coming for a visit.
- Current enrolment about 22 students, expected to increase to 140 for September 2010, and up to 500 for September 2012.
- Faculty of 3 for September 2009, up to 9 for September 2010, and 12 for September 2012.
- Waterloo University plans to open a second international campus in Nanjing, China.
09 September 2009
- Waterloo Dubai opened with 25 students. Originally 130 students were expected (The National 09 September 2009).
- Heads name updated. Previous information was that Professor Magdy Salama was the UAE campus director.
03 September 2009
- UAE Waterloo University classes began 01 September 2009 with 22 students according to a press release from UoW.
- UoW Dubai included in list of universities and qualifications offering Engineering. Not clear if the correct designation for the resulting qualification is BE, BEng, or something else.
- UoW International also planning to open a campus in Nanjing, China.
14 March 2009
- University of Waterloo UAE first classes in September 2009. Enrollment and registration started January 2009?
- For admission and registration questions, email is email@example.com.
- Fees do not include accommodation or books, UOW is attempting to find some suitable accommodation arrangements. Should be easier and cheaper in 2009 than it would have been in 2008.
- Scholarships are available, worth AED 10,000-20,000 each for up to six students.
- Courses offered for September 2009 are chemical engineering and civil engineering
- Courses to be offered in September 2010 are financial analysis and risk management, and mathematics/information technology management
- UW campus will operate from the Dubai Men's branch of the Higher Colleges of Technology for the first two years (Gulf News 21 February 2009). We don't know if that means no female students, or if they will be enrolled as temporary males.
- Number of students is expected to be 50-60 in each program. Students will study the first two years in Dubai, and the following two years in Canada (at UW in Waterloo of course).
- Mailing address is:
University of Waterloo UAE campus
Magdy Salama, c/o HCT Dubai Men's College
PO Box 15825, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- UW say that courses at the UAE campus will be taught by UW staff from Canada, and according to their FAQs, they are keen to reassure students that they really will be taught by UW faculty members, not just see them for a couple of guest lectures. Not all UW staff will have the opportunity to teach in the UAE though, conveniently providing a soapbox for those suffering from a pedestal shortage. A 29 November 2008 article in "The Record" of Kitchener, Ontario, said that some UW students and faculty were concerned about the opening of the Dubai campus due to discrimination in the UAE, referring to possible jail sentences for being gay or having sex outside marriage in Dubai, with the comment "This means a professor who's openly gay or who is an unmarried mother would not be able to safely travel to Dubai to teach, said philosophy professor Shannon Dea." However, Leo Rothenberg, the acting dean of engineering at UW, was more pragmatic ... "Dubai's human rights record is improving, Rothenburg said", and he said about other Canadian companies in the UAE that "they all face this."
17 October 2008
- University of Waterloo Dubai will be known as the UW-UAE Campus. Originally was expected to open in Abu Dhabi.
- University of Waterloo initially plans to open by September 2009 with courses in civil and chemical engineering, with about 20-50 students. Mathematics courses expected in 2010.
- Correct acronym is UW, UOW, or WU? There is also a Wollongong University in Dubai, commonly referred to as UOW.
- Waterloo University also planning to open a campus in Abu Dhabi which will offer engineering courses, and management course would remain in Dubai.
- Students would do 2 years at UW-UAE and then complete degrees in Canada.
- Faculty would come from Canada for one or two terms at a time.
- Eventually WU hopes to have 800 students in the UAE.
- University of Waterloo is being established after talks with the Higher Colleges of Technology and CERT.
- Waterloo university campus in Dubai will be at HCT Dubai Men's College initially.
- Mother/father Waterloo University is based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- One of the founders of the BlackBerry company Research in Motion, Mike Lazaridis, is a Waterloo University alumni, and is now Chancellor of the university in Canada.
- Information based on report in The National 17 October 2008, and UW Canada website announcement.
- Leo Rothenburg (acting Dean of Engineering) is project co-ordinator for the Dubai establishment.
- A 17 September 2008 Waterloo University bulletin had this comment:
"At this week's meeting, a few senators voiced their concern over the proposed move to Dubai, raising questions about human rights and the level of social freedom there. They reminded Rothenburg that he had originally said Abu Dhabi had a more “live and let live” environment. In response, he commented that “live and let live” applies to the UAE as a whole, the country is relaxing its restrictions on labour unions, and it has the intention of being part of an international community where human rights are respected."
Last update 09 November 2012
General Comments - might not apply to University of Waterloo Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.