University of Sunderland PGCE
University of Sunderland PGCE in Dubai
|University name||University of Sunderland PGCE|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university|
|University location / area||(no map)|
|Postal address||Dubai, UAE|
|University fees||36,000-38,000 dhs per year (2013-2014)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
University of Sunderland PGCE admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about University of Sunderland PGCE
Sunderland University Dubai programs and courses
- PostGraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) - prerequisite for the Sunderland University Master's in International Education. Does not appear to be equivalent to the UK PGCE which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the UK.
- Professional Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) - check carefully if the institute or country where you plan to teach accepts this as a teaching qualification. Especially UK curriculum schools in Dubai or other places overseas which might want teachers to have a UK PGCE and QTS, for example Dubai College or Dubai English Speaking College.
- PostGraduate Diploma in International Education - awarded after completion of stage 2 of the MA in IE.
- MA in International Education - awarded after completion of stage 2 and 3 (two modules at each stage).
- Futher information at www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/course/677/pgce__professional_graduate_certificate_in_education_overseas.
- See Nottingham vs Sunderland PGCE differences on the information page for Nottingham University PGCE International (PGCEi) qualification in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE.
PGCE course fees
- 2013-2014 - £6,000, about AED 36,000-38,000.
- 2009-2010 - AED 30,000-35,000.
- Magrudy's Education are no longer involved with the University of Sunderland PGCE in Dubai [Association discontinued in December 2010? Check]. The PGCE can still be done as a distance learning course directly from Sunderland.
- www.sunderland.ac.uk/courses/educationandsociety/postgraduate/pgce-professional-overseas/ - more information about the PGCE.
- Note that PGCE in this case is the Professional Graduate Certificate of Education, not the Post Graduate Certificate in Education. Sunderland points out that "Qualified Teachers Status (QTS) in England is conferred by the Department of Education and not by universities. The PGCE (Overseas) does not therefore offer a licence to teach in the UK."
- Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org no longer valid. Magrudys Education contact details removed.
10 February 2010 review
- Magrudy's Education advertisement (seen in 7 Days) and website says both teacher training PGCEs are offered in the UAE but website information about courses studied is the same for both except for an additional 4000 word case study related to education for the Postgraduate version.
- Sunderland Dubai PGCE graduates from either program do not get QTS in the UK - Magrudy's website says in reference to the Sunderland PGCE programs: "English QTS is not conferred by this programme, which is studied in 'private' schools overseas."
17 February 2009 - details updated (forum post)
- Number of students is for the Gulf region, not just Dubai or UAE.
- UAE and GCC contacts are Anna Valenzia or Alison Henderson. UK Program Leader is Sue Cooke.
- Fees information may vary due to changes in exchange rates. Magrudy's website says £5750 (payable in 4 instalments) + AED 500 administration fee.
- Previous contact details were tel +971-4-2979797, fax +971-4-2623270, email email@example.com.
- Web page education.sunderland.ac.uk/courses/off-campus-degrees/pgce/professional-graduate-certificate-of-education gives error now
07 September 2006 review
PGCE usually means Post-Graduate Certificate of Education but in the Sunderland version, the "P" means "Professional", not "Post". It appears that after completing your studies, you have NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) status only, and to get QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), you'll need to spend up to a year teaching under observation - possibly in the UK (but confirm this before starting the Sunderland PGCE teacher training course in Dubai if you plan to teach in the UK or at a school which requires a UK PGCE qualification). Support is about normal for a distance learning course, workload is heavy if you're teaching full time also. One advantage is that your teaching practices will be done wherever you're already teaching, with the same students.
- Contact information comes from newspaper advertisement 07 September 2006, with application deadline given as 12 September 2006.
- Tel number is for Magrudys Educational Resource Centre on the Dubai-Sharjah Road, but that's not stated in the advertisement which seems odd.
- Fax number from advert is different from Magrudys fax and fax number on Sunderland website (+971-4-42684244).
- UAE contact person is Anne Lambert. Sunderland Distance Learning PGCE program leader is Ms Sue Cooke.
- Course is worthwhile doing if you want to stay in the UAE and get a teaching qualification, since it's the only Distance Learning PGCE choice available in Dubai.
- Prerequisite is a Bachelor's degree.
- Magrudy's started offering the Sunderland PGCE in 1999.
Last update 01 August 2014
General comments - might not apply to University of Sunderland PGCE
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- UQAIB - a quality assurance agency to licence free zone colleges and universities in Dubai
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.