University of Sharjah
||University of Sharjah
||Prof. Eng. Samy Mahmoud (Chancellor)
|Executive body or owner
||Board of Trustees, Government of Sharjah
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
university, Ministry of Higher Education license
|University location / area
||Sharjah University City - location map
||PO Box 27272, Sharjah, UAE
||www.sharjah.ac.ae (new window)
||BA, BSc, LLB, MA, MBA, MBBS, MSc
||26,000-73,000 dhs per year (2006-2007)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
University of Sharjah admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Sharjah universities forum
University of Sharjah degrees, courses, and programs
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- General Diploma in Education
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Arabic Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, History and Islamic Civilization, Sociology
- Master of Arts (MA) in Arabic Language and Literature, English Language (Translation), History and Islamic Civilization
College of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Management Information Systems, Public Administration
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) (Executive MBA)
College of Communication
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication - specialisations include Print Journalism, Broadcast Journalism, Public Relations, Visual Media
- Master of Arts (MA) in Communication
College of Dentistry
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
College of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering
- Bachelor of Architectural Engineering
- Master of Science (MSc) in Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering
College of Fine Arts and Design
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture and Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Fashion Design with Textile
- Bachelor of Jewelry Design
- Bachelor of Graphics Multimedia Design
College of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Clinical Nutrition, Environmental Health, Health Services Administration, Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Physiotherapy
College of Law
- Bachelor of Law (LLB)
- Master in Private Law
- Master in Public Law
College of Medicine
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS)
College of Pharmacy
College of Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Applied Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics
- Bachelor of Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Information Technology - Multimedia
- Master of Science (MSc) in Computer Science
College of Sharia and Islamic Studies
- Bachelor of Shari'a - Jurisprudence and its Foundations
- Bachelor of Shari'a - Foundations of Religion
- Master in Exegesis and Hadith
- Master in Jurisprudence and its Foundations
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma Dental Assistant
- Diploma in Dental Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Food Safety
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Library Information Systems
- Diploma Pharmacy Assistant
- Diploma in Safety and Health Environment
- Diploma in Secretarial Skills and Office Management
- Higher Diploma in Dental Laboratory Technology
- Higher Diploma in Oral and Dental Hygiene
Sharjah University agreements and Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) signed
- Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority (ESCA or SCA) - MoU signed to foster cooperation in areas including professional advice, institutional support and development, human resources, administrative and social development. SCA and UoS will organize conferences, workshops, forums, training programs and projects together, including summer internships at SCA for UoS students. UoS students can also be nominated to join the SCA SHARE (Supporting Human Assets for Real Emiratization) program. Signed by H.E. Abdullah Al Turifi, SCA CEO, and Dr. Sami Mahmoud, UoS Director
(press release 10 April 2011).
- Royal College of Surgeons in England (WAM report 28 July 2010, under consideration).
Sharjah University rankings
18 September 2012 review
- The University of Sharjah has been instructed to separate mixed gender classes into male and female only classes according to a report in The National, which said The Ruler of Sharjah, Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, has called for classes at the University of Sharjah (UoS) to be re-organised to separate male and female students.
The colleges of dentistry, fine art and design, mass communication, and medicine currently have mixed classes.
14 July 2011
30 December 2010 - Sharjah University fees rise 100%
- Tuition fees at Sharjah University will rise 100% apparently, and students are not happy (unsurprisingly) according to a report in Emarat Al Youm.
- However, according to Emirates Business 24-7 on 30 December 2010, the Acting Director of Finance, Jihad Hafez, said "The decision to hike the tuition fee will be applied from the summer semester 2011 to 2012."
- Fees are increasing from AED 900 to AED 1,790 per hour?
23 August 2006
- Also referred to as "Sharjah University".
- Not the same as the American University of Sharjah although both UoS and AUS are in Sharjah University City.
- A wide range of academic programs and courses available in Accounting, Business Administration, Communication, Dentistry, Engineering, Fine Arts, Islamic Studies, IT, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, Shari'a with qualifications including BA, BBA, BDS, BEng, BFA, BSc, MBA, MBBS.
- Accommodation available for 4,000 to 13,000 dhs per year.
Last update 21 February 2010
General comments - might not apply to University of Sharjah
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.