University of Dubai
University of Dubai
|University name||University of Dubai|
|Director's name||Dr Essa Al Bastaki (President)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||Dubai Academic City - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 14143, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.ud.ac.ae (new window)|
|Curriculum||UAE, UK, US|
|Qualifications||BBA, LLM, MBA, MS, PhD|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
University of Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about University of Dubai
University of Dubai (UD, UOD) courses, programs, tuition fees and general information (needs update - add BBA, MS, MSIS, PhD)
Location map shows old location (marker A, GPS 25.2601,55.3153) and new location (marker B, GPS 25.1062,55.4147).
Certificate and diploma programs, and other qualifications
- Professional qualifications CFA, CIM, CIPS, CMA
- Human Resources Management certificate and diploma programs from 27 January 2008, to be accredited by the Ministry of Education, and offered by the CMPD (see below)
- Foundations program for UAE high school graduates who score less than 60% in the UAE Secondary School Certificate exams. Courses cover English, Mathematics, Arabic, IT, and Study Skills
Under graduate degree programs
- Bachelor degree programs recognized by the UAE Ministry of Education (in 2002) are
- Bachelor of Business Administration degrees in Marketing, Accounting, Management, Finance & Banking
- Bachelor of Science in Internet Computing and Computing and Information Systems.
- Bachelor programs also in in Business, Tourism, IT
Post-graduate degree programs
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), accredited by the UAE MOHESR from 01 January 2010
- Master of Science (MSc) degree program in Computing and Information Systems, specializing in Information Systems Management. Starting September 2012, offered through the College of Information Technology (CIT) (press release 17 April 2012).
- Master of Laws (LLM) program and College of Law (Director Harold Koster). Announced 18 Dec 2013 after accreditation approval by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education. Start date not provided. Twelve month course consists of 11 courses, 36 credit hours, modules in 15-week terms, taught in English. Tuition fees AED 10,500 per course (AED 115,500 total for 2014-2015). Admission open to Law and non-Law graduates. Two specializations offered:
- LLM in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution (ADR).
- LLM in Financial Crimes and Money Laundering(FCML).
- University of Dubai MBA courses, and maybe IT courses, can also be studied at the Al Khawarizmi College in Abu Dhabi.
- PhD in Business or Business Administration (rather than a Doctor of Business Administration - DBA) - proposed in 2011. Start date planned for September 2012 (press release 17 April 2012). Start date delayed to September 2014 (24 May 2012 news reports)?
University of Dubai new campus
- UD plans to expand or relocate to a new campus in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC) on a 3 million sq ft plot. Construction of Phase I expected to start December 2012. Completion date not supplied. Faculties will include College of Business Administration, College of Information Technology, College of Law, General Education Department (Khaleej Times 24 May 2012).
University of Dubai Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)
- 24 January 2012 (press release) - MoU signed with California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) in California, USA. The MoU will be effective for 5 years and facilitates student and faculty exchanges, collaboration on research projects and academic programs, and the exchange of library resources and research material.
- 10 January 2011 (press release) - MoU signed with the Foundation of Grenoble Ecole de Management (GEM) in France for collaboration including student exchanges.
- 03 November 2010 (press release) - University of Louisville (UofL) (UOL), USA - MoU signed with the College of Business Administration at the University of Dubai. UofL students will join the UD Middle East Familiarization program from summer 2011, and UofL faculty will be invited to teach at UD. Future plans include internships, student exchanges, and joint faculty research projects.
Center for Management & Professional Development (CMPD)
The Center for Management & Professional Development (CMPD) is the corporate training and community outreach department of the University of Dubai. CMPD was licensed by the UAE Ministry of Education in December 2006 to offer certificate courses in Management & English Language. CMPD manager is Usha Kaul Saraf. CMPD offers vocational courses and training in:
- Management, Marketing, Accounting, Procurement & Supply Chain logistics
- Business English
- Human Resource Management
- Retail Management and Customer Service
University of Dubai presidents
- Dr Essa Al Bastaki - Aug 2013 to present.
- Dr M Omar Hefni
22 February 2016 - new campus location
- University of Dubai moved to new Academic City location (previously DCCI building, Deira).
- Tel updated to +971-4-5566800. New fax number not provided. Previously tel +971-4-2225411, fax +971-4-2242151.
- Admission enquiries phone 800 UOD (800 863) (toll-free in UAE) or +971-4-5566877.
- Email contact updated to email@example.com. Previously was firstname.lastname@example.org for Dubai University College.
18 December 2013 - new College of Law (PR)
- College of Law announced, law school and faculty director Harold Koster. Also new Master of Law (LLM) degree announced but start date not provided. Possibly January 2014, or September 2014?
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) not offered but see St Joseph University (USJ) Dubai law degree (offered in Arabic not English though).
25 August 2013 - new UoD president
- New president of University of Dubai reported as Dr Essa Al Bastaki (Dr Essa Mohammad Bastaki). Previous president was Dr M Omar Hefni.
- Expansion or new campus in Dubai International Academic City opening delayed until 2015?
24 May 2012 news reports
- Master of Law (LLM) - proposed, not confirmed. Start date might be September 2013.
18 February 2011 - University of Dubai CAA accreditation
- The National newspaper reported that in 2010 the University of Dubai was denied accreditation by the CAA for its planned professional certificates in business subjects, and was advised to start an MBA program instead. Which it did (see 01 September 2010 information).
01 September 2010 - New University of Dubai MBA program (press release)
- University of Dubai has announced a new MBA program, accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research
- UDMBA available with 4 different double majors - Leadership and Human Resources Management, Operations and Logistics Management, Finance and Accounting, or International Business and Marketing.
- MBA program length 15 months. Registration from 12 September 2010. Fees information not supplied.
- Update: 02 October 2010 press release said The University of Dubai (UD) ... has extended the registration date to enrol in its MBA programme due to high demand. Which sounded odd. One would have thought if there was high demand, then classes would be full and no need to extend the deadline. Press release didn't say anything about expanded classes or facilities.
22 July 2010 - Confucius Institute in Dubai (press release)
- The University of Dubai and the Confucius Institute Headquarters in China have signed an agreement to establish a unit of the Conficius Institute at the UOD. Previous reports had indicated that a Dubai Confucius Institute would be set up at the Zayed University. Unknown if the UD location is instead of, or additional to, the ZU location.
13 July 2010 - Foundations Program accreditation (press release)
- The University of Dubai Foundations Program has been awarded accreditation by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- Students completing the program successfully will receive an attested certificate which allows them to apply for entry to other universities in the UAE if they choose not to continue at UD.
04 March 2010 - University of Dubai MBA and accreditation (press release 04 March 2010)
- The University of Dubai (UD) MBA is accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) as of 01 January 2010.
- First UD MBA class starts 04 April 2010
- University of Dubai MBA double major options are:
- Leadership & Human Resource Management (LHRM)
- Logistics & Operations Management (LOM)
- Accounting & Finance (AF)
- International Business & Marketing (IBM)
- MBA takes 15 months to complete.
04 January 2010 - University of Dubai expansion and Barclays scholarship
- University of Dubai (UD) expansion plans have been delayed somewhat, and spending reduced. A Gulf News report 03 January 2010 said that construction on a 3 million sq ft site in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC) would begin "soon" after AED 200m in funding was approved in July 2009.
- Completion of the expansion is now scheduled for 2012. Original plans in 2006 were for AED 500m to be spent with Phase I complete in 2007, and Phase II possibly completed in 2010.
- Sponsorship program signed in December 2009 between UD and Barclays Bank for UAE nationals. Students get a one year scholarship in return for working for Barclays Bank for a month, and representing the bank at conferences, exhibitions, and fairs.
08 December 2009 - University of Dubai MBA
- MBA program launched with first classes starting 01 February 2010. Open evenings on 08 and 22 December 2009 from 1930-2130 at the Dubai Chamber building.
- University of Dubai awarded accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB) International.
- MBA program fees are AED 7,500 per course, works out to AED 97,500 for 8 core courses and 5 specialist courses.
03 September 2009 - University of Dubai ABET accreditation
- Clarification to the ABET accreditation notes below is that University of Dubai CIS program is indeed accredited (ABET accredits courses and programs, not institutions), and the correct ABET address is 111 Market Place (not 11 Market Place).
12 August 2009 - University of Dubai accreditation
- According to an email received from the University of Dubai (29 July 2009), "The University of Dubai (UD) is not a member of the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)" and the correct information should be "The Computing and Information System program offered by the College of Information Technology is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, 11 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 – telephone: (410) 347-7700" but ...
- ... according to the University of Dubai website Department of Student Services (DSS) section, "UD is a member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) and the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD)" ... but (again) ...
- ... the general "About Us" section says "UD is a member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). The Computing and Information System (CIS) program offered by the College of Information Technology is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700"
- So if you can figure out whether UD is a member of ABET or not, and whether ABET lives at 11 or 111 Market Place, then add an explanation to the UD forum topic. Presumably UD was a member of ABET but no longer is (and the DSS page hasn't been updated yet), and the 11 or 111 in the address is a typo (the ABET website, www.abet.org, says "111 Market Place"). A search of the ABET website confirms that the Computing program is indeed accredited by the CAC Commision of ABET, and next review is due for 2013-2014.
30 December 2007
University of Dubai (UD or UOD) was originally established as the Dubai Polytechnic in 1997, a co-educational tertiary institute, by the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI). The DCCI is now known as Dubai Chamber. University of Dubai has 2 colleges - the College of Business Administration (CBA), and the College of Information Technology (CIT).
- Renamed as Dubai University College in 2001.
- Renamed as University of Dubai in 2006, may also be referred to as 'Dubai University'.
- Member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), and the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD).
- Multinational students with a large proportion of Emiratis.
- Significant proportion of staff are Arabic but classes are in English (except for Arabic and Islamic Studies).
- Day and evening classes available.
- Additional contact information: tel +971-4-2225411, email email@example.com
- Previous website was www.duc.ac.ae which forwards to new website. However the Dubai Polytechnic website, www.dubaipolytechnic.com, is now spam.
- Two campuses - DCCI building in Deira and Al Masood / Al Masaood (tel +971-4-2242472).
January 2006 - Dubai University expansion and move to Dubai Academic City
- In January 2006, the University of Dubai announced that a new campus would be built in Dubai Academic City on an area of about 200,000 square meters, with buildings occupying over 30,000 square meters.
- Phase I was originally expected to be ready by September 2007 and cater to up to 10,000 students on completion of phase II (by 2010?).
- Total cost about AED 500 million.
- Consultant Cansult Maunsell?
Last update 22 February 2016
General comments - might not apply to University of Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Academic City - schools and tertiary institutes in Ruwayah.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- University Quality Assurance International Dubai - licenses DIAC institutes in Dubai (the UQAIB)
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|MBAs||MBA in Abu Dhabi | MBA in Dubai | MBA in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.