Sharjah British International School
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Sharjah British International School
|School name||Sharjah British International School|
|Type of institute||private profit-making K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||Arabic, UAE, Islamic, UK|
|Qualifications or Courses||IGCSE, A-levels|
|Head of school||Sheikha Deemas (Principal), Iain Maddox (Headteacher)|
|Executive body or owner||Abdullah Bin Khalifa Deemas Al Swaidi (Chairman)|
|Date founded||September 2002|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Al Muweilah schools area - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 681, Sharjah, UAE|
|Website||www.sharjahbritishinternationalschool.com (new window)|
|School fees structure||15,400-30,190 dhs per year (2014-2015)|
|Teacher salary range||3,500 - 7,900 dhs per month (estimate only)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Sharjah British International School admissions, reviews, notes
Start a new topic in the Sharjah school reviews forum with comments about this school.
Sharjah British International School (SBIS) fee schedule and information
There are several different schools in Sharjah with confusingly similar names to SBIS as follows:
- Sharjah British International School (SBIS) (this page) - new name for Sharjah British School. SBIS is a private school for Arab expats and Emirati students, which follows a British curriculum, but is not really a British or international western expat school. Sharjah English School (SES) is more popular with British and western expat families.
- Sharjah English College (SEC) - secondary section of Sharjah English School, not related to SBIS.
- Sharjah English School (SES) - a private British curriculum school more popular with western families. Not to be confused with Sharjah British School (SBS), renamed as SBIS.
- Sharjah International British School (SIBS) - either a reference to SBIS or to the British curriculum section of Sharjah International School, another private Arabic school, not a British or international expat school.
- Sharjah International School (Sharjah International Private School) (SIS, SIPS) - a private Arabic Islamic school for Muslim students, not British or international, but does have a British curriculum section, which, confusingly, is sometimes referred to as Sharjah International British School (SIBS), but is not related to SBIS.
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2014-2015||15,400||15,400||16,785||16,785||17,850||18,900||18,900||19,950||21,525||21,525||24,675||27,300||30,000||30,190|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2013-2014||14,500||14,500||15,260||15,260||17,000||18,000||18,000||19,000||20,500||20,500||23,500||26,000||29,240||30,000|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2012-2013||13,700||13,700||14,300||14,300||15,350||16,450||16,450||17,550||19,200||19,200||21,400||23,600||25,200||27,400|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2011-2012|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2010-2011||11,550||11,550||12,870||12,870||14,300||15,400||15,400||16,500||18,150||18,150||19,800||22,000||24,550||27,750|
|Book costs (AED) 2010-2011||615||755||865||915||1020||1120||1220||1350||1400||1550||1550||1650||1350||1350|
|Total fees (AED) 2010-2011||12,165||12,305||13,735||13,785||15,320||16,520||16,620||17,850||19,550||19,700||21,450||24,100||24,450||27,750|
- 2014-2015 tuition fees increased 1%-10%. Admission registration fee AED 500. Book costs unchanged (AED 850-2,300). Portal membership fee AED 110, medical fee AED 200. Exam fees AED 600 per subject for IGCSE, AED 1,000 per subject for A-levels. Transport costs unchanged.
- 2013-2014 registration fee AED 500. Book charges AED 850-2,300. Bus transport costs unchanged from 2012-2013.
- 2012-2013 bus transport charges AED 2,000 one way, AED 3,500 return for Sharjah and Ajman; AED 2,200 one way, AED 4,000 return for Dubai (Mirdiff, Al Ghusais) and Umm Al Quwain.
- 2010-2011 medical fee AED 200 annually. Tuition fees to be paid by 3 post-dated cheques at start of academic year. Or single payment by credit card accepted?
- 2008-2009 bus transport return AED 3500 for Sharjah and Ajman, AED 4000 for Dubai and Umm Al Quwain; one-way AED 2000 for Sharjah and Ajman, AED 2200 for Dubai and UAQ (2008-2009 charges according to SBS website).
- 2006-2007 fee range AED 9,450-16,600.
- Location is in the Al Muwailah (Al Moweilah) school zone between National Paints Roundabout and Sharjah University City.
Sharjah British School teaching jobs
- Secondary English teaching job advertised in June 2012 offered salary and benefits package of "18,400 USD monthly (12,000 GBP)" (presumably a misprint and they meant either AED 18,400 per month (good) or USD 18,400 per year (not so good)) plus housing allowance of USD 1,000 (AED 3,673) per month (which is not great, even in Sharjah). Benefits include annual flights. Minimum qualification Master's degree, minimum experience 1-2 years, contract length 2 years.
- Head of English Department job advertised in June 2012 offered salary and benefits package of "15,000 USD monthly (55,088 AED)" (presumably a misprint but not clear what they meant since AED 15,000 would be less than the teaching job that was advertised at the same time, and there aren't any schools in the UAE that pay a head of department AED 55,000 per month) plus housing allowance of USD 1,000 (AED 3,673) per month.
- KG teaching job advertised in June 2012 offered salary and benefits package of "9,000 USD monthly (33,053 AED)" (presumably a misprint and they meant either AED 9,000 per month (reasonably good) or USD 9,000 per year (not good)) plus housing allowance of USD 1,000 (AED 3,673) per month.
01 July 2014
- Name changed to Sharjah British International School (SBIS), previously Sharjah British School (SBS). Date of change not provided (was in 2013?).
- Old website URL at www.sharjahbritishschool.com forwards to new website at www.sharjahbritishinternationalschool.com.
- Email address for general enquiries updated to firstname.lastname@example.org. Previous email address email@example.com.
- New head teacher is Mr Iain Maddox, date of change not provided.
- School plans to implement an American curriculum in addition to the British curriculum? Principal's letter (undated) says "During the next year we will be embracing the American System ..."
10 December 2010 review
- Sharjah British School fees updated. Same website at www.sharjahbritishschool.com and www.sharjahbritishschool.net.
- Principal's full name is Sheikha Deemas Yohan Al Yeris Al Subosi. Head Teacher was Sarah A Hards? Current Headteacher is Mr Peter Vaughan (date of change not supplied).
05 May 2007 review
- Sharjah British School (SBS) intends to expand to K-12 and offer A-levels, but student numbers are decreasing? No contact details on website?
Schools in the same area as Sharjah British International School
|School name||Level||Curriculum||School fees||Reviews|
|Delhi Private School Sharjah||April 2000||K-12||Indian||8,630-11,530||DPSS reviews|
|Gulf Asian English School||1975||K-12||Indian||4,200-6,600||GAES reviews|
|International School of Creative Science||K-12||Arabic, UK||18,000-35,500||ISCS reviews|
|Manzil Special Needs||MSN reviews|
|Providence English School Sharjah||September 1999||K-12||Arabic/UK||8,700-17,250||PESS reviews|
|Rosary School Muweilah||K-10||UAE, UK|
|Ryan Star International School||Indian||RSIS reviews|
|Wesgreen International School||1991||K-12||UAE/UK||14,550-36,050|
Last update 09 March 2015
General comments - might not apply to Sharjah British International School
- Many popular schools are full for 2020-2021. New schools in Sharjah might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
- British schools in Sharjah
- Study in Sharjah - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Sharjah - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Sharjah - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Sharjah education||Nurseries in Sharjah | Schools in Sharjah | New schools in Sharjah 2019-2020 | Special needs in Sharjah | Colleges in Sharjah | Universities in Sharjah|
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.