Private International English School in Abu Dhabi
||Private International English School
|Type of institute
||private K-12 school
|Curriculum or Student Nationality
|Qualifications or Courses
|Head of school
||Mrs Rajalakshmi Pillai (MA, MEd, MPhil) (Prinicipal)
|Executive body or owner
||Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|School area, location map
||Musaffah / Mussafa
||Abu Dhabi, UAE
|School fees structure
||8,000-15,000 dhs per year (2010-2011)
|Teacher salary range
||1,800 - 3,900 dhs per month (estimate only, not confirmed)
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
Private International English School admissions, reviews, notes
Private International English School reviews - add your comments, updates, or questions here.
Private International English School (PIES/IES) tuition fee structure
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2010-2011
- Admissions start date is 15 August 2010, for KG-Class IV only at first (Class V starts April 2011).
- Bus transportation fees about AED 400-450 per month, book fees AED 500-700 per year, uniforms cost about AED 500-600 (per annum?).
- Fee scholarships or subsidies of 50% available to "Meritorious students" (details of what that means not supplied) from Class VIII onwards.
- Contact details not supplied, but try their email address.
11 January 2011
- PIES Abu Dhabi expanding for September 2011 according to Khaleej Times report quoting Ramachandran Menon, Chairman of BVB Middle East as saying "Our planned expansion will allow us to take an additional 2,000 students from September and we will have separate admissions for the kindergarten during this time."
15 September 2010
- The new Private International English School was officially opened by
Sheikh Tahnoon Bin Saeed Saif Bin Mohammed Al Nahyan, with
MK Lokesh, the Indian Ambassador to the UAE, attending.
- School has about 300 students and 20 teachers to start with, from Grades 1 to 4 or 5.
- Second language options include
Hindi, French, Sanskrit, and possibly Arabic in the future.
10 August 2010
- The Private International English School (PIES) (Bhavans Kendra Abu Dhabi?) is a new Indian CBSE curriculum school in Musaffa / Musaffah on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi city.
- Opening date of PIES is reported to be 15 or 19 September 2010 (both dates seen).
- PIES/IES will operate as a day-boarding school with class timings 0730-1230 for KG, and 0730-1530 for class I onwards.
- Extra tuition classes available on Saturday from 0830-1330.
- Classes KG-IV start September 2010, Classes V-VIII or IX from April 2011, Classes X-XII added from 2012-2014.
- Facilities include 40 classrooms, to be increased by 120 more classrooms as school intake expands.
- Student capacity of 1,000, increasing to 4,500 when construction of additional buildings is complete.
- Various spellings of Principal's name - Mrs Rajalakshmy Pillai, Rajalakshmi Pillai, Rajalaxmi Pillai, Rajalaxmy Pillai?
- Mrs Pillai has previously held positions in schools in
Kuwait, India, Qatar.
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB) is an education provider and school operator in India, founded in 1938, with schools and centers in Australia, Canada, India, Kuwait, Mexico, Portugal, South Africa, UK, USA
- Chairman and/or Middle East Director of
BVB is N K Ramachandra Menon (Ramachandran Menon). Is also chairman/head of the BVB school in Kuwait?
- Students are not supposed to do homework or get private tuition in Abu Dhabi. Mr Menon reported as saying "We have extended teaching time up to 3.30pm for this purpose so that pupils can complete all work at school," and "The teachers are not allowed to take up private tuition as well." Except confusingly, other comments indicated students would get homework - in the form of projects. Mr Menon said "Pupils in grade 5 and above will have assignments to be completed at home"
- Maximum classs size 25 with teacher to student ratio of 1:15 - "We are aiming to have 15 students in each classroom, with the maximum being 25 students in a class," (NK Ramachandran, The National 10 August 2010).
- Second languages available include
French, Hindi, Sanskrit, and possibly Arabic.
- Some information at website www.iesvidyabhavan.com for the Kuwait school, not clear what website for IES Abu Dhabi is. See also www.bvbdelhi.org and www.bhavans.info for Bhavans Kendra background information (not www.bvbdelhi.com or www.bhavans.com, which are spam).
New BVD schools in the UAE
- BVD plans to open additional schools in Dubai and Sharjah according to comments from Mr Ramachandran Menon in the Khaleej Times 10 August 2010 - "We propose to start one school in Dubai in April next year and another one in Sharjah in September next year after getting the necessary sanctions from the authorities here. BVB is planning to start one school in Bahrain in next April and another one in Oman in September next year,"
- No further information supplied. See Bhavan school Dubai and Bhavan school Sharjah for further updates if available.
Last update 09 August 2010
General comments - might not apply to Private International English School
- Many popular schools are full for 2014-2015. New schools in Abu Dhabi might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.