Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
||Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
||Prof. Jean-Yves de Cara (Executive Director)
|Executive body or owner
||UniversitÚ Paris-Sorbonne, France, and Manhal Development Company, UAE
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
private university, Ministry of Higher Education license
|University location / area
||Al Reem Island - location map
||PO Box 38044, Abu Dhabi, UAE
||LMD, ECTS, Masters, Bachelors
||40,000-80,000 dhs per year (2008-2009)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
Paris Sorbonne University (Université Paris-Sorbonne) Abu Dhabi degree courses and programs (updated from press release 21 March 2010)
All UAE based degree programs approved by the MOHESR Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA)
- Intensive French Language Program (1 year)
License (Bachelor's level)
- Arabic Language, Literature and Civilization (L3)
- Art History
- Economics and Management (from 2008)
- French and Comparative Literature
- Geography and Urban Planning
- History (Civilizations and International Affairs)
- Information & Communication (offered only in Paris on the third year of specialisation of BA degree)
- International Business and Languages
- Law (from 2008)
- Languages and Civilizations?
- Maths (under consideration)
- Modern and Classical Literature?
- Music and Musicology
- Philosophy and Sociology
- Political Sciences (from 2008)
- Physics (under consideration)
- Archive Studies, starting September 2010?
- Business and Languages
- History of Art and Museology/Museum Studies, in French and English, in association with the Louvre and École du Louvre in Paris, starting September 2010?
- International Law, Diplomacy and International Relations
- Marketing, Business Management and Communication
- Performing Arts (planned?)
- Teaching French as a Foreign Language (Arab Speakers)
- Town and Country Planning/Urban & Regional Planning
14 September 2012 - new Vice Chancellor
- Professor Eric Fouache has been appointed as the new Vice-Chancellor at Paris Sorbonne University in Abu Dhabi.
10-25 April 2011 - disappearance of Abu Dhabi Sorbonne lecturer
- An Emirati lecturer at PSUAD, Dr Nasser Bin Gaith (Nasser Ahmed Khalfan Bin Gaith), disappeared on Sunday 10 April 2011 according to various reports (CNN, Al Jazeera, Reuters). His lawyer, Mohammed Al Mansouri, reportedly said he had been arrested. He was allegedly arrested for making previous comments calling for democratic reform in the UAE, or something like that. PSUAD website has no information about his disappearance - actually, the website has no information about Dr Gaith at all, he's not even in the list of faculty as of 25 April 2011, but some reports say he is affiliated with the university rather than employed.
- On 20 April 2011, Bloomberg reported a statement from the UAE Foreign Minister, Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, referring to the recent arrests of several pro-democracy activists: "The prosecution in the UAE has sent subpoenas to a number of people. ... This is fully in procedure with laws and rules of UAE."
- On 25 April 2011, WAM, the official UAE news agency, reported his arrest, and the arrest of 4 others (not related to PSUAD) who had disappeared in recent weeks, saying that they were held in preventive custody for investigation for being found committing crimes of instigation, breaking laws and perpetrating acts that pose threat to state security, undermining the public order, opposing the government system, and insulting the President, the Vice President and the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi.
20 April 2011 - Mubadala sells stake in PSUAD (WAM news report)
- Mubadala Development Company announced an agreement to sell 49% of its interest in Manhal Development Company PJSC to Mubadala Infrastructure Partners (MIP). Manhal is the developer, owner and operator of the Paris-Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi (PSUAD) campus.
- The CEO of MIP, Philip K. Haddad, said "Our investment in PSUAD is aligned with our aim of investing in social infrastructure opportunities throughout the MENA region and Turkey and diversifying our portfolio. We believe PSUAD will deliver strong and reliable returns to our investors, while affording MIP the opportunity to actively participate alongside Mubadala in value creation through operational improvements." ... Um, ok. To us that sounded like something in French translated to English via Russian or Klingon using the Google translator.
13 February 2011 - new Abu Dhabi Paris-Sorbonne University campus official opening
- New campus of PSUAD officially opened on Al Reem Island in Abu Dhabi. In attendance were General Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Francois Fillon, French Prime Minister.
- Construction cost AED 1.6 billion, construction completed in late 2010.
- Capacity increased to 2,000 students, area 93,000 square meters includes student accommodation, 200,000 volume capacity library, auditorium, sports center, cafeteria.
- New campus called the Abu Dhabi Latin Quarter?
- Current enrolment comprises 763 students from 60 nationalities, with 35% Emirati students. Graduation statistics to date are 98 students with Bachelor degrees, and 83 with Masters degrees.
31 July 2010
- Contact and location details updated. New telephone numbers +971-2-65 69 555, +971-2-65 69 666, new fax number +971-2-65 69 656, admissions phone numbers +971-2-65 69 302, +971-2-65 69 303, +971-2-65 69 304, +971-2-65 69 305.
- Previous information was location Airport Rd, Dubai side of Al Maqtaa Bridge, telephone +971-2-5090555, fax +971-2-5090656.
- Website domain www.psuad.ac.ae forwards to www.sorbonne.ae.
17 May 2010
- Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi (PSUAD) renewed their agreement with the Goethe Institute Gulf Region to continue teaching German at the university (WAM 17 May 2010).
- Professor Jean-Yves de Cara is now the Executive Director of PSUAD according to the WAM report - last year was Administrative Director?
- Professor Xavier Galmiche is still the Academic Director?
- President of Université Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV) in France is Georges Molinié.
- New programs planned or under consideration include (The National 17 May 2010):
- Master's degree in Museum Studies in association with Louvre Paris, Louvre Abu Dhabi, École du Louvre Paris. Course to be taught in English and French, and subject areas to include museum management, art restoration, history of art. Starting in 2010-2011 Academic Year.
- Master's in Archive Studies. Starting in 2010-2011 Academic Year.
- Master's in Performing Arts (under consideration).
- Bachelor degrees in Mathematics and Physics (under consideration).
- Doctorate programs (PhD) - speculative, no specific plans mentioned.
21 March 2010 - PSUAD Open Day (press release)
- Paris Sorbonne University AUH (PSUAD) held an open day at its new Al Reem Island campus.
- Facilities include student capacity for 2,000, campus buildings area 93,000 sq meters, library capacity for 200,000 books, recreational facilities, student accommodation, cafeterias, study rooms, etc.
27 May 2009
Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi (PSUAD) information updated (27 May 2009 email received from PSU AD). Other current information is:
- Pr. Jean-Yves de Cara - Administrative Director
- Additional telephone number +971-2-5090556
- Admissions telephone number +971-2-5090609
- Qualifications include License-Masters-Doctorate (LMD) and European Credits Transfer System (ECTS)
- Student accommodation available for AED 26,000 per year (single room) or AED 21,000 per year (shared room - double) plus AED 1000 deposit
- Transportation fees from AUH dormitories to university (return) 1750 dhs / semester, 550 dhs / month, 200 dhs / week.
- Weekend transport available to Dubai and Sharjah (depending on numbers) 100 dhs per return trip.
- Scholarships available for 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% of tuition fees
- Housing assistance available for 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% of cheapest accommodation rate.
- Tuition fees AED 40,000 per year for Intensive French Program, AED 60,000 per year for Bachelor Degree, Masters degrees as follows
- Master in International Law, Diplomacy and International Relations - AED 80,000 for 2 semester program
- Master in Marketing, Management and Communication - AED 100,000 for 3 semester program (equivalent to AED 67,000 per year)
- Master in Teaching French as a Foreign Language (Teaching French for Arab speakers) - AED 50,000 for 2 semester program
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning - AED 100,000 for 3 semester program (equivalent to AED 67,000 per year)
Previous information was:
- Mr Daniel Ollivier (Chancellor)
- PSU old tel +971-2-5585700, fax +971-2-5585800
- Old website www.paris-sorbonne-abudhabi.ae? Still appears in Google search and has PSU AUH information.
14 May 2008 - PSUAD new campus contract
- PSUAD move to Al Reem Island permanent campus phase one scheduled during Academic Year 2009-2010 - maybe August 2009?
- Phase II completion scheduled for August 2010.
- Construction contract worth AED 1.2 billion for the design and construction awarded by Mubadala Development Company to Al Habtoor Leighton Group. Project to be developed by a joint venture between the Al Habtoor Engineering Abu Dhabi division and Murray and Roberts.
- Capacity eventually 2000 students
- PSUAD new campus area about 93,000 sq meters (1 million sq feet)
- Facilities will include student accommodation, library (capacity 200,000 books), auditorium (seating capacity 700), teaching and recreational facilities
20 January 2008
- January 2008 news was that The Sorbonne is scheduled to move to a new campus on Al Reem Island by October 2009, on a 57,000 square meter area which can accommodate over 2000 students, development by Mubadala Development Company.
- French President, Nicholas Sarkozy, laid the foundation stone on 15 January 2008 during his UAE visit.
12 October 2006
First time Paris-Sorbonne University (PSU) sets up a branch office outside France. Agreement between PSU in France and the UAE to establish PSU Abu Dhabi was signed 19 February 2006. PSU Abu Dhabi will be the Middle East 'representative office' of PSU in Paris. Expected to have 1500 students within 3 years. Original Universite Paris-Sorbonne (or La Sorbonne) founded in 1257.
- The European LMD system means first you study for a Licence (roughly equivalent to a Bachelor's degree), then Masters, then Doctorate.
- Lecturers seconded from Sorbonne in Paris for varying periods. Curriculum and qualifications match those of the Paris Sorbonne. European ECTS credits. Bachelor level degrees only offered at Abu Dhabi Sorbonne, but is valid prerequisite for Master's or Doctorate level studies at Sorbonne in Paris.
- Language of tuition is French but French speaking courses offered to students who have little or no French speaking ability.
- Sorbonne in Abu Dhabi will open in temporary location October 2006 and move to new premises by October 2007. As with many building projects in the UAE, the word 'by' should be replaced with 'not before'.
- Accommodation (segregated) available.
- Art History and Archeology
- Economics (from 2008)
- Geography and Urban Planning
- Languages and Civilizations
- Law (from 2008)
- Modern and Classic Literature
- Music and Musicology
- Philosophy and Sociology
- Political Science (from 2008)
Last update 13 February 2011
General comments - might not apply to Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.