Pan American Academy Dubai
Pan American Academy Dubai
|School name||Pan American Academy Dubai|
|Type of institute||private K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||Canadian|
|Qualifications or Courses||BC HS Diploma|
|Head of school|
|Executive body or owner||PAA British Columbia, GIVE Education Group, AISD|
|Planned opening date||September 2010|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Al Qusais, Al Gusais|
|Postal address||Dubai, UAE|
|School fees structure|
|Teacher salary range||see general comments|
Pan American Academy Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Pan American Academy Dubai reviews - add yours here.
Warning (06 September 2014)
There are a number of reports of teachers being offered a job at the Pan American Academy in Abu Dhabi (see that page for more details), with requests for the applicant to pay visa processing fees via Western Union to City Life Travels, a travel agent in Dubai.
Do not do this. It is usually a sign of a scam, and even if it isn't, employers in the UAE are legally required to pay all visa and related costs for their employees.
Pan American Academy Dubai
Not to be confused with the Pan American Academy Charter School (website www.panamericanacademy.org) in Philadelphia, USA, which is unrelated to PAA in the UAE or Canada.
14 October 2009 review
Pan American Academy Limited (PAA) is a British Columbia, Canada, based school operator with schools in China. PAA plans to open a school in Dubai in association with the American International School in Dubai, and maybe Abu Dhabi. The schools would be BC Offshore Schools, certified by the BC Ministry of Education if approved.
- According to a Vancouver Sun report 13 October 2009, Pan American Academy Limited (PAA) is a subsidiary of the GIVE Education Group in Vancouver, British Columbia (BC), Canada. GIVE is the Kingston Education Group reinvented, or renamed, or something.
- Allegedly, the Kingston Education Group collapsed and disappeared as a result of some business to do with fees from international students (one report on kelowna.com dated 12 October 2009 says "several students filed civil lawsuits, which are still before the courts").
- According to a PAA website (was at www.panamericanacademy.com, not available now, copy at www.garychenartdesign.com/paa/ also unavailable): "Pan American Academy, a Vancouver BC, Canada based company, is a member of GIVE Education Group which provides high school and university education opportunities around the world to serious students who aspire to be leaders in their communities. Pan American Academy delivers North American primary, secondary and high school programs and postsecondary education in Asia, The Middle East and in South America."
- The same website also said "BC Ministry of Education officials visited PAA in Dubai, UAE in October, 2008: Dr. Emery Dosdall, Deputy Minister and Mr. Peter Owen, Assistant Deputy Minister, from the British Columbia's Ministry of Education and Skills, recently visited our new school in Dubai and met with government officials in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE".
- Teachers wanting a job were invited to "accept the challenge of growing North American high school programs in India, UAE and Latin America" and send their CVs to Mr Brian Fichter, the BC agent for PAA, at email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The PAA Dubai opening date was planned for August 2009 and would have been the first BC Offshore School in the Middle East, but opening date has been postponed to August 2010 according to the report in The Vancouver Sun.
- PAA schools run a British Columbia school curriculum, and offer a BC High School Diploma at senior levels.
- GIVE Education Group website appears to be at www.givegroup.org but access is restricted. Email email@example.com to obtain login id (we didn't). Same access restriction for www.panamericanacademy.com (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- GIVE Group also operate the Grand Canadian Academy (Asia) Limited (GCA), a high school in Nanjing, China, and Jianxing Grand Canadian Academy. Both schools are BC certified offshore schools, and were part of the Kingston Education Group before its demise.
- There is a Pan American Academy public charter school North Philadelphia, USA (website www.panamericanacademy.org), with opening date August/September 2008. It appears to be unrelated to PAA in BC.
- See also Canadian International School in Dubai, another BC Offshore School system applicant in the UAE, and Pan American Academy Abu Dhabi (a tentative possibility).
12 October 2009 Vancouver Sun report
- The BC Ministry of Education ordered Pan American Academy to withdraw misleading online advertisements that they were operating a BC certified school in Dubai according to a report in the Vancouver Sun.
- Reportedly the company's application to operate a BC Offshore School was still being reviewed. There is also a Canadian International School in Dubai listed on the BC education website with a BC education certification application under review.
- BC agent for PAA is Brian Fichter, who said to the Vancouver Sun "To the best of my knowledge, PAA had removed the website prior to August of this year, as soon as they got news that the commencement date of the high school program would be postponed to next year."
- Unclear where PAA is registered - might be Vancouver or Asia. GIVE Education Group is reportedly registered in the British Virgin Islands.
PAA visit to the UAE, October 2008
The following report on the PAA website (no longer available - 14 October 2009) details a visit to their new school in the UAE at the American International School of Dubai (which is not the same as, nor related to, the American School of Dubai).
Dr. Emery Dosdall, Deputy Minister and Mr. Peter Owen, Assistant Deputy Minister, from the British Columbia's Ministry of Education and Skills, recently visited our new school in Dubai and met with government officials in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE.
On October, 12th 2008, Dr. Dosdall and Mr. Owen toured our new school (Pan American Academy at American International School, Dubai) with Mr. Chris Pilgrim, Senior Director of Business Development, PAA and with Mr. Othman Abdel Bari, Principal and Director of American International School. Both Dr. Dosdall and Mr. Owen were very pleased with the school and had opportunity to speak with several teachers and students while touring the school. Pan American Academy at American International School (PAA at AIS) will begin its inaugural year in August 2009 starting with grades 1 to 3 and grades 9 and 10.
After touring the school, Dr. Dosdall and Mr. Owen held a meeting with Dubai 's Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) to pave the way for the official signing of a cooperative education agreement between the Emirate of Dubai and the British Columbia Ministry of Education. Attending the meeting with Dr. Dosdal and Mr. Owen were Dr. Abdulla Al Karam, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Director General; Jameela Al Muhairi, Chief of Dubai Schools Inspection Bureau; Stephanie Price Whittle, Director of Strategic Partnerships of KHDA, and Mr. Chris Pilgrim, Mr. Mohamed Bamatraf, and Mister Juma Al Salami.
Dr. Dosdall and Mr. Owen also had opportunity to visit with Dr. Fouzia Mohammed Badri, Chief Executive of Educational Affairs, United Arab Emirates Ministry of Education in Abu Dhabi. The BC Ministry of Education will also sign a cooperative agreement with the UAE National Ministry of Education.
Last update 11 September 2014
- Canadian schools in Dubai
- Study in Dubai - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Dubai - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Dubai - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Dubai education||Nurseries in Dubai | Schools in Dubai | New schools in Dubai 2019-2020 | Special needs in Dubai | Colleges in Dubai | Universities in Dubai | KHDA | KHDA school inspections ||
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.