Tuesday 21 January 2020 (UAE)
Nottingham University Dubai PGCE
Nottingham University Dubai PGCE
|University name||Nottingham University Dubai PGCE|
|Executive body or owner||Nottingham University|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university|
|University location / area||(no map)|
|Postal address||Dubai, UAE|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Nottingham University Dubai PGCE admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Dubai universities forum
Nottingham University courses in Dubai and UAE, general information
- No Dubai office, distance learning courses only. Local contact and liason is Stafford Associates.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International) (PGCEi) - not the same as the general UK PGCE teaching qualification.
- Nottingham vs Sunderland PGCE differences:
- Nottingham is cheaper (about two-thirds to half the price of the Sunderland PGCE).
- Nottingham has no actual teaching practice requirement as part of the course. Assessment is by assignments, essays, and similar tasks. Sunderland PGCE has a teaching practice component as part of the coursework, in addition to written assigments.
- Conflicting information provided regarding applicant's status as a teacher. According to Nottingham, "You will need ... regular access to a classroom context" (without specifically stating that applicants must be currently teaching). But Stafford Associates says applicants for the Nottingham PGCE "Must be currently teaching and have access to a classroom". Sunderland does not require applicants to be teaching but you do need to be able to complete two 6-week teaching practice sessions in a school where you can be assessed.
- The "International" designation of the Nottingham PGCE is relatively meaningless, apart from indicating that it is not a valid English teaching qualification in terms of recognition by the English education authority (Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales have different education authorities). The Sunderland PGCE has the same invalid status. Or in a more positive light, both qualifications have the same validity with respect to international and expat schools in countries other than the UK (which varies between countries and schools).
- Both courses take one year or less (8-12 months usually).
- 2013-2014 fees for Nottingham PGCEi vary depending on location. Direct from UK is £2,900 (about AED 17,000-19,000). Other locations £3,200 (about AED 19,000-21,000). In UAE through Stafford Associates £4,300 (about AED 26,000-28,000).
- Previous PGCE URL returns an error, try www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/pgcei/pgcei-introduction.aspx.
- See also www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/pgcei/dubai.aspx for UAE information.
- See www.staffordglobal.org/education/post-graduate-certificate-in-education-international-pgcei/ for Stafford Associates information. Contact email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
08 December 2009 review
- The University of Nottingham (UON, NU) does not have an office or campus in Dubai, however, their PGCE International (PGCEi) by distance learning is available. Either directly through Nottingham University in the UK, or through Stafford Associates in Dubai.
- Note that the UON Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International) (PGCEi) is not the same as the Post-Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) commonly studied in the UK which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), and might not be accepted as a teaching qualification at all schools, especially the more highly regarded UK curriculum schools in Dubai such as Dubai College, DESC Dubai, DESS Dubai. The UoN PGCEi information says "Please note that Qualified Teacher Status in England and Wales is conferred by the General Teaching Council of the relevant country and not by Universities. This PGCE(I) does not therefore offer a licence to teach in the UK."
- General Nottingham University PGCEi information available at www.nottingham.ac.uk/Education/Prospective/TeacherTraining/PGCEInternational.aspx and maybe www.nottingham.ac.uk/education, but no Dubai specific website found.
- See also the Sunderland Magrudy's PGCE, a similar qualification available in Dubai.
Last update 31 March 2010
General comments - might not apply to Nottingham University Dubai PGCE
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- UQAIB - a quality assurance agency to licence free zone colleges and universities in Dubai
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.