Thursday 16 July 2020 (UAE)
Notting Hill College Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Notting Hill College Dubai
||Notting Hill College Dubai
|Executive body or owner
||Notting Hill College UK
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
|College location / area
|| (no map)
|Instructor salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Instructor job satisfaction rating
(by instructors, not about instructors)
|Voting disabled on mobile
Notting Hill College Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Dubai colleges forum
Notting Hill College UK (NHC-UK) programs and courses (might be available by distance learning in Dubai and the UAE)
||Cost in UK Pounds
||Fees in UAE dirhams
|TESOL Diploma, 250 hours
|TEFL Certificate, Advanced
|TEFL Certificate, Intensive
||Classroom-based, unknown if available in the UAE
|Master of Arts in TEFL
|| Joint course offered by NHC and Pebble Hills University (PHU)
|NHC Master Degree
|Business course diplomas
- Fees in UAE dirhams estimated using exchange rate of approximately 5.7 : 1 (in July 2010).
- Range of fees is for different course formats - Assisted Learning or Blended Learning (4 hrs, 8 hrs, or 12 hrs).
- Courses offered by NHC in the UK do not appear to be accredited by the UK Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (OFQUAL), which might or might not be important depending on what students plan to do with their qualifications.
26 July 2010 - Notting Hill College UK update
- Notting Hill College found in USDLA list of "Institutional Academic Member Organizations Affiliated with the United States Distance Learning Association through Current Membership."
- NHC still not found on BILD or IATEFL websites though. Not that we could find any membership list on the BILD or IATEFL websites - might be available only to members, or difficult to find.
- NHC website has updated fee amounts for the various courses on offer, fee amounts are in GBP.
- NHC-ME website says Ras Al Khaimah office contact details are:
509A Fifth Floor,
Business Center 4,
Free Trade Zone,
+971 7 2046097,
0044 77487 27184,
+971 7 2046098
- Help line
+971 555 14 26 17,
+971 555 03 11 64
- Mobile number appears to be for the UK, not UAE. Help line numbers are an unusual number format for the UAE but might be mobile phone numbers.
- No contact details for any other UAE locations found.
25 June 2010 - Notting Hill College and Pebbles Hill University MA in TEFL
- Notting Hill College has announced a Master of Arts in TEFL distance-learning degree program in partnership with Pebble Hills University (PHU) (May 2010?).
- Unknown if the MA in TEFL is available in the UAE. It is not clear where Pebble Hills University is based. The PHU website says it is located in Nice in France; incorporated in Delaware (USA); lists a telephone number in New Zealand; and a fax number in Italy. Previous information indicated that the university was based in Seborga, Italy, a small town near the French border with a population of only a few hundred people. Contact details according to PHU website (www.pebblehills.edu) are:
- Pebble Hills University, Villa MontFleuri,
24 Montee de Cimiez,
Nice 06000, France
- Email Address: email@example.com,
Phone Number: +64-9353-1228
- PHU website lists a large number of organisations and accrediting bodies with which it is affiliated, including the "International Commission for Higher Education (ICHE)." The ICHE appears to be an accrediting body based in Texas, USA, but unapproved by the Education Department in the USA, or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in the USA, two authoritative organisations with respect to approval of tertiary level accrediting organisations.
- The website of the Higher Education Department of the State of Maine in the USA (www.maine.gov) says about PHU in Italy and Australia that it "Claims authority to issue degrees from subnational entities in both Italy and Australia. Neither approval is recognized internationally and the entity should be viewed as not a degree-granting institution."
- These comments may or may not be important to prospective MA students. It depends on what the intention of obtaining the degree is. If a job teaching EFL is the goal, then check with potential employers if a PHU degree is acceptable. Some employers are more fussy about where degrees come from than others.
24 February 2010 - Notting Hill College UAE contact details (press release 24 February 2010?)
- A press release about Notting Hill College Teacher Training courses in the UAE (which looked the same as press releases about NHC courses in Egypt and other countries) had the following contact details for Notting Hill College in RAK:
- Telephone +44-2081332793, fax +442081332793 which is a London, UK telephone number? Not a Ras Al Khaimah or UAE phone number.
- Postal address "B.O. 16284, Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates" which might have been intended as PO Box 16284 in RAK, but is also given as a zip code. However, there are no zip codes in the UAE.
- No UAE telephone number supplied with press release.
08 February 2010
- Notting Hill College UK (NHC?) has branches (or something?) in other locations, including a Notting Hill College UAE branch according to their UK website (www.nottinghillcollege.co.uk). No obvious contact details for a Dubai or Abu Dhabi office but location is given as "Ras Elkhaima" which is presumably Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), one of the northern UAE emirates. No PO box, tel number, or contact name found.
- Email contact try firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NHC has a School of Business, School of Languages, and School of Teacher Training. Unknown which, if any, of the UK college courses are available in the UAE.
- Not very easy to discover just what courses are offered in the UK anyway. Main website has links to several other websites for example www.nottinghillcollege-ghana.co.uk, www.nottinghillcollege-me.co.uk (for Alexandria-Egypt, North Africa, Middle East, UAE), www.school-of-languages.co.uk, www.school-of-business.co.uk. The last one in that list has links to "Training Location", "Payment and Savings", "Courses Catalogue" but those pages are all "under construction".
- Fees information on NHC Middle East site says (but unknown which currency is being used - perhaps UK pounds?):
|Course or Program
||75 per module
- UK contact information appears to be for a private PO Box company in central London (Virtual Serviced Offices - www.virtual-serviced-offices.co.uk), rather than a physical college location, indicating that courses are some sort of mail order or distance learning package. Not clear under what authority certifications are awarded. Doesn't appear to be the Cambridge CELTA, Cambridge DELTA, or Trinity College TESOL Certificate (Cert TESOL) courses, which are probably the most widely known and accepted.
- UK address: Suite B, 29 Harley Street, London, W1G 9QR, United Kingdom
- UK Tel +44-20-81332793, email email@example.com
- Notting Hill College website credentials page says they are members of the following organisations (comment in brackets about whether or not NHC found in membership list on website of relevant organisation):
- the British Institute for Learning and Development (BILD) - www.thebild.org (Notting Hill College not found)
- the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) - www.iatefl.org (NHC not found)
- the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA) - www.usdla.org (NHC not found)
- UK Register of Learning Provider (UKRLP) number 10028428 - www.ukrlp.co.uk (NHC found)
- UK Trainers Official Sponsor - www.uk-trainers.org (NHC found)
Last update 08 February 2010
General comments - might not apply to Notting Hill College Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for instructors too)
- UQAIB - a quality assurance agency to licence free zone colleges and universities in Dubai
Related websites (new window)