New York University Abu Dhabi
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
New York University Abu Dhabi
|University name||New York University Abu Dhabi|
|Director's name||Alfred H Bloom|
|Executive body or owner||NYU USA|
|Date founded||October 2007|
|Number of students (approx)||100|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university|
|University location / area||Downtown Abu Dhabi / Saadiyat Island Marina District - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 129188, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|Website||nyuad.nyu.edu (new window)|
|University fees||150,000 dhs per year (2010-2011)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
New York University Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Abu Dhabi universities forum
NYU Abu Dhabi Saadiyat Island degrees, courses, programs, tuition fees and general information
NYU Bachelor of Arts degree specializations
- Arts: Studio, Performing and History
- Creative and Nonfiction Writing
- Language, Literature, and Translation
- Political Science
NYU Bachelor of Science degree specializations
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Engineering and Technology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
NYU multidisciplinary programs
- The Ancient World
- Biomedical Studies
- The Environment
- Global Public Health
- Media Studies
- Urbanization and Science of the City
- Women's Studies
2008 Sheikh Mohammed Scholars Program
- A group of 17 Emirati students were selected as the first "Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed University Scholars Program" class, beginning September/October 2008. Students were selected from UAE higher learning institutes - Higher Colleges of Technology, UAE University, and Zayed University.
- The initial program will include the first NYU Abu Dhabi course offered - religion and government, attendance at various other courses, conferences, and lectures; and a trip to NYU in the USA.
- The Sheikh Mohammad Scholars Program is an initiative of the "NYU Abu Dhabi Institute", a subsidiary or affiliate of NYU Abu Dhabi. Or something like that.
29 June 2010 - NYU Abu Dhabi suspended or postponed?
A couple of reports seem to be implying that the new NYU Abu Dhabi campus on Saadiyat Island might be cancelled or suspended by questioning the financing arrangements. Given that Mubadala is an Abu Dhabi Government, or government-owned, company, it seems unlikely that finance will really be a problem.
- A report dated around 28 June 2010 from the Infrastructure Journal said US$1.5bn NYU Abu Dhabi PPP thrown into doubt [by Kiel Porter] - Doubts are growing over the future of the US$1.5 billion New York University campus PPP development in Abu Dhabi. Citigroup were appointed as financial advisers to the project in March in the hope that a capital markets funding solution could be found. However at an investor meeting early last week where Mubadala outlined its project priorities for the next 12 months NYU was not mentioned while Mafraq to Ghweifat [Projects Database] - the Emirate's other large scale PPP - was.
- However, one of the IJ headlines said the university contract was only worth $150 million so it might be possible they don't know what they're talking about.
- An earlier report in Project Finance Magazine from 23 June 2010 said NYU Abu Dhabi On Ice - Mubadala is delaying the financing of its $1.5 billion New York University Abu Dhabi PPP pending a recovery in the capital markets. Due to its strong cash position and large deal pipeline, Mubadala is re-evaluating its external funding requirements.
27 April 2010 - New York University Abu Dhabi Saadiyat Island construction contract
- Al Futtaim Carillion was awarded the design and build contract by Mubadala Infrastructure for the US$1.5 billion NYUAD campus on Saadiyat Island.
- Campus will have a liberal arts, engineering, and sciences college, and a center for advanced research. Facilities will include classrooms, library, IT facilities, laboratories, housing for students and staff, and sports facilities. Capacity planned for 2,500 students.
- Construction expected to start in Q3 2010 with completion date planned for Q1 2014 (delayed from 2012). Information from press release.
27 April 2010
- NYUNEWS.com reports that 188 students have been accepted, or been offered a place, at NYUAD starting September 2010.
- About 8,000 of the 37,000 students who applied to NYU in New York said they were interested in NYUAD, and another 708 students applied directly to NYUAD.
- Update: different figures were in another NYU News report 28 June 2010 which said "NYUAD admitted 189 applicants, or 2.1 percent of the 9,048 applications filed."
01 April 2010
- NYU Abu Dhabi telephone number updated to +971-2-6284000. Previous phone number +971-2-6590740 no longer valid.
22 March 2010 - NYUAD and DED sign MOU (WAM news)
- The Department of Economic Development in Abu Dhabi (DED) signed an MOU with NYUAD on behalf of the Abu Dhabi Economic Research Center (ADERA) for NYU Abu Dhabi to be one of the ADERA research centers and receive funds for researchers based at NYU in both Abu Dhabi and New York.
03 February 2010
- Citibank has been appointed by Mubadala to arrange financing for the NYU Abu Dhabi project. The new campus development has an estimated cost of US$1.5 billion (AED 5.5 billion), although the report from Project Finance Magazine seemed to think it was worth US$15 billion - "Mubadala has mandated Citibank on its 15 billion New York University Abu Dhabi PPP,"
08 December 2009
- New York University Abu Dhabi (NYU AUH) officially opened its downtown Abu Dhabi campus.
- First undergraduate class of 100 students will begin in August 2010.
- Lectures have been offered since October 2007.
- Saadiyat Island campus completion date is delayed until 2014.
- Tuition fees information based on NYUAD estimate of US$40,277. They suggest allowing another AED 80,000 (US$22,000) for accommodation, books, medical, transport, etc.
- Unknown if Israeli students will be able to attend. Probably not for the time being - the NYUAD FAQs page points out that at present, UAE entry to Israeli passport holders is not allowed. However, after the UAE allowed an Israeli tennis player to enter the country for the Dubai tennis championship in 2009, a statement was issued by the UAE that said "The decision to issue the permit is in line with the UAE's commitment to a policy of permitting any individual to take part in international sports, cultural and economic events or activities being held in the country, without any limitation being placed on participation by citizens of any member country of the United Nations."
29 September 2008
- The New York University (NYU) in Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) plans to open a liberal arts college campus on Saadiyat Island, a natural island adjacent to the island on which Abu Dhabi city is situated, with infrastructure presently under construction. Saadiyat Island will be a cultural hub for Abu Dhabi (with a Guggenheim Museum, the Abu Dhabi Louvre, and other iconic cultural destinations).
- The NYU Abu Dhabi Saadiyat Island campus is scheduled for completion in 2012 (developer is Mubadala Development Company). NYUAD will admit their first students in 2010 but instead of sitting on the beach on Saadiyat Island for two years, they will attend NYUAD in downtown Abu Dhabi somewhere.
- Student population eventually expected to be 2000 undergraduates and 800 graduates.
- Qualifications offered will be NYU undergraduate degrees - Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, and Bachelor of Science (BSc) (BS) in Science and Engineering subjects.
- Students will be expected to be fluent in English and at least one other language by the end of their studies.
- President of NYU in the USA is Dr John Sexton.
- Head / President of NYUAD will be Alfred H Bloom (previously president of Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania, USA).
- Vice-Chancellor is Dr Mariet Westermann
- NYU already operates campuses overseas in Paris and Singapore, and has Study Abroad programs in Berlin, Buenos Aires, Florence, Ghana, London, Madrid, Paris, Prague, Shanghai, Tel Aviv.
Last update 01 April 2010
General comments - might not apply to New York University Abu Dhabi
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
|Universities||Abu Dhabi universities | Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ universities | Dubai universities | Ras Al Khaimah universities | Sharjah universities | UAE universities|
|Abu Dhabi education||List of Abu Dhabi universities | List of Abu Dhabi colleges | List of Abu Dhabi schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.