Tuesday 28 January 2020 (UAE)
Middlesex University Dubai
Middlesex University Dubai
|University name||Middlesex University Dubai|
|Director's name||Professor Raed Awamleh (Director)|
|Executive body or owner||Middlesex University UK, and Middlesex Associates Dubai JV with Edulink|
|Date founded||January 2005|
|Number of students (approx)||1700|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||Block 16, Dubai Knowledge Village - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 500697, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.mdx.ac (new window)|
|Qualifications||BA, BSc, MA, MSc, MBA, TESOL|
|University fees||30,000-46,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Middlesex University Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about Middlesex University Dubai
Honours degree courses at Middlesex University Dubai
- Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Biological and Health Sciences
- Business and Management Studies
- BA Honours International Business (from October 2010)
- Communication & Media Studies
- BA (Honours) Journalism and Communication Studies (from September 2010)
- BA Honours in Advertising, Public Relations, and Media (from September 2009 or 2010?)
- Computing and IT
- Marketing (BA Honours Marketing) starting September 2010, course duration is 3 years full-time.
- Social Sciences (new courses - MU Dubai press release 28 October 2009)
- BA (Honours) Development and International Studies - a course in "international political and developmental thinking"
- BSc (Honours) Global Social Science - social sciences development and trends with a global perspective, includes international sociology
- Tourism Management (new courses for academic year 2009-2010 - MU Dubai press release 15 September 2009)
- BA Honours in International Tourism Management and Marketing
- BA Honours in International Tourism Management with Human Resource Management
- BA Honours in International Tourism Management with Business
- BA Honours in Hospitality Management (a third year top-up degree)
- BA Honours in Hospitality Management with Tourism (a third year top-up degree)
Masters degree courses
- MA Education: Leadership, Management and Change - new for January 2010, part time, 18 months, course fees AED 40,000
- MA in Human Resource Management - 25 April 2009 press release says MA in HRM relaunched, and accredited by Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD).
- MA in Marketing Communications
- MA in Management
- MA in TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) - new course from January 2011.
- MSc Applied Psychology - starting October 2010, 2 year degree course
- MSc in Management
- MSc Computer Network Management - starting October 2010, 1 year full time or 2 years part time
- MBA (Association of MBAs - AMBA - accredited)
Other Middlesex University courses in Dubai
- Middlesex University Preparation Programme (MUPP)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Professional Development courses
Honorary degrees awarded by Middlesex University Dubai
- 2010 - Mr Misho Ravic, founder of the Middlesex University Dubai and Co-Chairman of the MUD Board - Honorary Doctorate awarded during MUD graduation ceremony in London on 06 July 2010.
- 2009 - H.E. Maryam Al Roomi, Minister of Social Affairs - Honorary Doctorate in recognition of her contributions towards the social development of the UAE and the Arab World and her inspiring community leadership.
- 2008 - H.E. Sultan Bin Sulayem, Chairman of Dubai World - Honorary Doctorate for outstanding contributions to Dubai.
Middlesex University Dubai Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) and other agreements
- 27 December 2010 (press release) - MOU signed with Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Dubai (DTCM) to provide internships for MUD students. No further information supplied.
22 March 2011 - new courses at Middlesex Dubai
- The Khaleej Times published an interview with the MUD Director, Professor Raed Awamleh, who said MUD were planning to introduce new programs in 2012 including health and fitness, risk management, logistics, law, environmental sustainability and occupational health and safety.
- Prof Awamleh said about applying for CAA accreditation that the question is whether our graduates really need this accreditation.
- And the current location at Dubai Knowledge Village (DKV) was suitable at present but that they may look at shifting to Dubai International Academic City, among other options, in the future depending on the growth of the university.
18 December 2010 - new MA degree for English Teachers (TESOL) (press release)
- MA TESOL offered from January 2011, part-time evening classes, possible to complete in 18 months.
03 September 2010 - BTEC HND credit towards Middlesex University programs (press release).
- Edexcel BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) qualifications are accepted by Middlesex Dubai as transfer credit and advanced entry towards university degree courses. Other universities in Dubai which accept BTEC include Heriot-Watt University, and American University of the Emirates.
- Wassim Hamadah, Marketing Manager at Middlesex University said "Most of our undergraduate programmes accept entrants onto the second and third year. In addition, we offer a number of top-up programmes which cover the third year of bachelors degrees and are specifically designed for applicants wishing to progress from Higher National Diplomas or following the second year of a standard Bachelor's degree programme."
22 July 2010 - new Bachelor's degree (Honours) in Marketing
- Middlesex University Dubai announced they would offer the BA Honours Marketing program from September 2010.
- Students can take professional exams for the Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM) qualification after successful completion of the BA Honours Marketing.
27 June 2010 - new Masters in Computer Network Management (press release)
- Middlesex Dubai announced a new Master's degree in Computer Network Management, starting September 2010.
- The program will cover the development of expertise and knowledge in the planning, deployment, security and management of network infrastructure and systems and is designed for IT professionals looking for a management level job with qualifications in computer science, IT, or network operations.
14 May 2010 (press release)
- Middlesex University in Dubai announces the launch of a Master's degree in Applied Psychology from September 2010.
18 April 2010
- Middlesex Dubai announces that they will offer their London based BA Honours degree in Journalism and Communication Studies, starting in September 2010.
- Press release said the program would cover traditional print-based journalism and newer digital media, and that The course combines a range of practical journalistic skills with a comprehensive and critical theoretical framework informed by current debates about the social, cultural and political implications of communication. Which might or might not mean talking about press censorship in the UAE.
11 November 2009
- Middlesex University Dubai fourth annual graduation ceremony held on 07 November 2009 at the Westin Dubai, with 316 students graduating.
- Honorary Doctorate degree awarded to HE Mariam Al Roomi, UAE Minister of Social Affairs in recognition of community leadership and work towards social development of the UAE and Arab World. This is the second honorary degree awarded by Middlesex Dubai.
- In 2008 an Honorary Doctorate was awarded to HE Sultan Bin Sulayem, Chairman of DP World, the first awarded by Middlesex Dubai.
- Previous graduation ceremonies in 2008 (153 students), 2007 (48 students) and 2006 (8 students).
- University has 1000+ students from 50 different countries, and 23 different degree programs.
15 September 2009
- Middlesex University Dubai (MU Dubai) press release announced 5 new Tourism Management honours degrees (see course list). Dr. Marcus Stephenson, Associate Professor of Tourism Management at Middlesex Dubai, said "the suite of tourism degrees at Middlesex features curricula that integrate management theory and practices, and social scientific models and approaches" which sounds like something you'd expect a professor to say.
- Fax number updated (was +971-4-3672956).
- To apply for teaching jobs at MDX Dubai, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
03 September 2009
- Middlesex University Dubai (MUD) start date for 2009-2010 academic year classes is 04 October 2009.
- Undergraduate scholarships available starting 2009 for international students, value 10%-100% of tuition fees.
- Press release from MUD about scholarships says Middlesex Dubai campus "opened in January 2005" but previous information was that it was established in October 2003 (unknown source - might have referred to the date Dubai Knowledge Village was founded)? The original Middlesex Dubai press release announcing the opening of the university was dated 11 July 2004, and said "the first Middlesex University programmes will be offered to students in Dubai from January 2005".
- Total of 25 undergraduate and postgraduate programs available. All undergraduate programs are 3 year honours degrees.
- Tuition fees updated (was AED 24,000-46,000 for 2008-2009). Master's degree fees AED 55,000-71,000 for 2009-2010 for complete program (4 teaching terms + dissertation/project/thesis).
- Middlesex Dubai accredited by the KHDA in Dubai, not the UAE MHESR because MUD is in a free zone.
12 September 2008
- New head at MUD Dr Raed Awamleh? Previously was Professor Dennis Hardy?
- Still not seen on list of MOHESR list of accredited institutions, presumably because MUD is in a Dubai free zone.
- Fees updated (was 20,000-40,000)
- University was launched in October 2003 according to website (previous figure we had was January 2005)
- Accommodation now (or shortly) available at The Halls student residence in Dubai Investment Park for AED 11,000 per semester (shared) or AED 20,000 per semester (single). A much better location than Ghusais. Free transport shuttle bus provided between The Halls and MU campus at KV. Separate residences for males and females.
22 August 2006
- Middlesex University Dubai (MUD? MDX Dubai?) tel number also +971-4-3671620?
- Comprehensive and informative website (except for location map) but odd domain extension, .ac is for Ascension Island. UAE tertiary level academic institute would be www.mdx.ac.ae but that returns DNS error.
- Credit transfer and study opportunities with London campus of Middlesex University
- Shared accommodation in villas in Al Ghusais (a long way through traffic jams from KV, but university bus service available) in single or shared rooms. Men and women in separate villas. Fees 7,500-16,000 dhs per semester (academic year Sep-Jun, 2 semesters per year).
- Purpose built accommodation in Dubai Investment Park (closer to KV and better location) coming although it doesn't appear that construction has begun yet.
- Not seen in list of MOHESR list of accredited universities.
- For teaching jobs, send CV to email@example.com.
Last update 06 February 2011
General comments - might not apply to Middlesex University Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Knowledge Village - tertiary institutes and related services in Al Sofouh, Dubai.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- University Quality Assurance Board Dubai (UQAIB) - licences DKV organisations in Dubai
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|MBAs||MBA in Abu Dhabi | MBA in Dubai | MBA in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.