Michigan State University Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Michigan State University Dubai
|University name||Michigan State University Dubai|
|Director's name||Harold Sollenberger (Interim Executive Director) - from 01 Jun 2010|
|Executive body or owner||Michigan State University Board of Trustees (MSU)|
|Date founded||August 2008|
|Number of students (approx)||200|
|Number of staff (approx)||20|
|Type of institute||university|
|University location / area||Dubai Knowledge Village - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 345001, Dubai, UAE|
|Qualifications||BSc, MSc, MA|
|University fees||50,000-60,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Michigan State University Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about Michigan State University Dubai
Michigan State University Dubai campus information (MSU-DXB, MSUD)
- New website at dubai.isp.msu.edu. Previous domain dubai.msu.edu forwards to new one.
- Location: Suite G23, Block 2B, Dubai Knowledge Village (DKV, KV). Tel +971-4-4465147 and +971-4-4465148, fax +971-4-4390543.
- Previous locations (closed): Dubai Knowledge Village Block 2A (tel +971-4-4361500, fax +971-4-4243829). Dubai International Academic City Block 10.
MSU Dubai programs and courses (last update 03 September 2008 but most cancelled as of 05 July 2010 according to press reports)
Postgraduate Degree Programs (unknown if any suspended from September 2010)
- Certificate in Educational Technology
- Executive Certificate in Retailing
- Master of Arts in Advertising (from August 2009)
- Master's degree in Human Resources & Labor Relations
- Master of Human Resources and Labor Relations
- Master of Jurisprudence (from October 2012?)
- Master of Public Health (from October 2011? Two year part-time program?)
- Master of Science in Packaging (from August 2009)
- Master of Science in Retailing
- Master of Science in Supply Chain Management (from August 2009)
- Master of US Law (from October 2012?)
Bachelor's Degree Programs (cancelled from September 2010)
- Child and Youth Development - Bachelor of Science in Family Community Services
- Computer Engineering - Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Construction Project Management - Bachelor of Science in Construction Management
- Early Childhood Education - Bachelor of Science in Family Community Services
- Electrical Engineering (from September 2010)
- Media Management and Research - Bachelor of Science in Media and Communication Technology
09 April 2012 - MSU Dubai, the CIA, and Iranian spies
- Bloomberg reported that back in 2009, when MSU Dubai had a funding problem, Michigan State University (MSU) President Lou Anna K. Simon contacted the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to ask about a Dubai-based company which was offering to bail out MSU Dubai. She wondered if the company was a front for the Iranian government because it had Iranian investors and wanted to recruit students from Iran. The Bloomberg report said "The CIA couldn’t confirm that the company wasn’t an arm of Iran’s government. Simon rejected the offer and shut down undergraduate programs in Dubai, at a loss of $3.7 million."
- The company wasn't named, and it didn't appear as though anyone could confirm that it was a nest of Iranian spies. Nor did the report mention that there are a large number of companies in Dubai with Iranian investors, a large number of Iranian students at various institutes in Dubai, and a large number of Iranian expats living in Dubai.
- The remainder of the report went on to focus on other US institutes (not in Dubai) and spies who had studied at them.
23 August 2010 - ASD scholarships for transferring MSU Dubai students
- MSU Dubai students left high and dry after the suspension of the undergraduate program are being offered first year scholarships at the American University of Dubai (ASD) if they transfer there (press release 23 August 2010).
06 July 2010 - MSU Dubai undergraduate program suspension/cancellation (reported in The National 06 July 2010)
- Michigan State University's (MSU) branch campus in Dubai is reportedly closing down all of its undergraduate programs which doesn't say much for its "long term commitment to the UAE" stated in the MSU Dubai press release in April 2010 announcing accreditation by the UAE MOHESR.
- About 100 students (or 85 in some reports) will have to go somewhere else, and 24 staff have to find another job. Subjects affected include business, computer engineering, electrical engineering, media management and research.
- The MSU Dubai master's degree in human resources and labour relations, with about 12 students, will continue.
- The closure is apparently due to high fees, low enrolment, and losses running into millions of dollars. Jeffrey Riedinger, Dean of International Studies, reportedly said "Our [financial] model was predicated on a greater number of students,"
- The Canadian Press reported that Michigan State University President, Lou Anna Simon, said in a conference call that About $3.4 million that had been expected from partners in Dubai didn't develop,
- Students migh be able to transfer to MSU in the USA (and continue to pay fees at the lower Dubai rate, not the higher MSU East Lansing rate), or transfer credits to another university in the UAE, pending a decision by the Dubai KHDA about the cancelled courses.
16 May 2010 - new MSU director search
- The State News of East Lansing, Michigan, USA, reported that MSU Dubai is searching for a new director. History of directors so far is:
- Harold Sollenberger (Interim Executive Director), 01 June 2010 - whenever new director appointed (announced 11 May 2010)
- Dr Brendan Mullan, August 2008 - December 2009 ... extended to 01 June 2010
- The report said that "Sollenberger also sees his job as keeping the morale of faculty on the Dubai campus high" which sounded odd. Was faculty morale something to be concerned about?
19 April 2010 - MSU awarde academic licence by MOHESR (press release)
- MSU Dubai announced that they had been awarded an academic licence by the UAE Federal Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR).
- MSU Dubai said in the press release Although not a requirement for the university, as a TECOM and KHDA licensed institution, MSU Dubai applied for the license as part of its long term commitment to the UAE and to demonstrate the high academic standards attained.
- Academic standards at the MSU Dubai are supposed to be the same as at the MSU campus in USA, and faculty teach at both campuses to help with that objective.
17 January 2010
- MSU Dubai announced that they are seeking accreditation from the UAE Ministry of Scientific Research and Higher Education (MOHESR).
- Accredition decision expected by March 2010.
- "MSU Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Kim A. Wilcox, the chief academic officer for Michigan State University, held a meeting (this week) with the UAE Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research during a visit to the UAE." - MSU press release 12 January 2009.
12 December 2009
- MSU Dubai offering 50% fees discount to students transferring from other universities (in Dubai only?) for January 2010 start. About 200 students have applied for the 100 available MSU Dubai Transfer Scholarships according to a press release 08 December 2009. Other universities in Dubai are unimpressed with the poaching according to a report in The National on 12 December 2009.
- Funding information from a State News report 12 December 2009 (the MSU newspaper), says $2.7 million grant from Dubai Holding, and another $3.2 million of loans from Dubai Holding (different from Lansing State Journal report in November 2009).
09 November 2009
- MSU Dubai student population was 100 in 2008, and 170 had applied in 2009, according to a report in the Lansing State Journal 09 November 2009.
- Financial costs according to the same report were $7 million (AED 26m) spent in 2008 to establish the Dubai campus (including $2.7m from the Dubai Government as a grant, and $2.5 million from Tecom Investments as a loan).
- MSU were expecting 600 students within 4 years of opening in Dubai.
05 October 2009
- Michigan State University Dubai (MSU Dubai) press release said student population more than doubled, but didn't say how many students. Have assumed previous figure of 100 was for 2008-2009 and increased accordingly.
- Student population has 19 nationalities from 11 countries including China, Kyrgyzstan, GCC countries, Syria, the UAE.
22 October 2009
- MSU Dubai Transfer Scholarships are being offered to transferring students from other universities (in Dubai only?). Scholarship value is 50% discount on fees. Deadline for applications is 30 November 2009, start date for successful applicants is January 2010.
06 September 2009
- MSU Dubai (MSUD) contact details updated. Fax number not available, or not obvious on MSUD website, fax +971-4-424 3829 unconfirmed (source unknown). Previous tel number +971-4-3755212 might have been for Dubai Knowledge Village (DKV) location, is not on current MSU website contact details.
- MSU Dubai no longer at DKV?
- MSU Dubai Academy established as part of MSU Dubai, classes start 04 October 2009.
03 September 2008
- Contact details also include tel +971-50-5991098 / +971-50-5001098 (from MSU website - both are correct?) and +971-4-3755215.
- Student accommodation available in the Silicon Arch Residence in Dubai Silicon Oasis (close to DIAC), 1 bdrm apartments with 3 students per apartment, cost is AED 15,500 per semester per student (2008 figure).
- MSU Dubai (MSUD) not in list of MOHESR accredited institutions because MSUD is in a Dubai Free Zone.
- Dubai fees information not found but USA MSU fees are $10,264 (Michigan freshmen) - $25,722 (out of state and international freshmen) per semester. Equivalent to AED 37,670- AED 94,400. Unknown how in-state / out-of-state designation applies in Dubai.
29 September 2007
- A press release was issued to say an agreement was signed to establish a branch of Michigan State University in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), which is in Dubai Academic City (DAC).
- Qualifications from bachelor to postgraduate will be offered in subjects including media, communications, public relations, computer engineering, construction management, family studies, business cognates.
- MSU say they will be non-profit.
- MSU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the Commission on International Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA).
Last update 02 September 2011
General comments - might not apply to Michigan State University Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Knowledge Village - tertiary institutes and related services in Al Sofouh, Dubai.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- University Quality Assurance Board Dubai (UQAIB) - licences DKV organisations in Dubai
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.