Masdar Institute of Science and Technology in Abu Dhabi
||Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
||Dr Fred Moavenzadeh (President)
|Executive body or owner
||Mubadala / MIT
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
government non-profit university
|University location / area
||Masdar City (no map)
||PO Box 54224, Abu Dhabi, UAE
||www.masdar.ac.ae (new window)
||MSc, ME, MEng, PhD
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Abu Dhabi universities forum
Masdar Institute Master's degree programs
- Foundation program, starting October 2010, preparation for entry to Masdar Institute MSc programs
- Master's in Chemical Engineering - CAA accreditation received (13 February 2012 announcement)
- MSc in Computing and Information Science
- MSc in Electrical Power Engineering
- MSc in Engineering Systems and Management
- MSc in Information Technology
- MSc in Materials Science And Engineering
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering
- MSc in Microsystems - in
partnership with the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC)
- MSc in Water And Environment
- MSc in Water And Environmental Engineering
- PhD in Renewable and Advanced Energy and Sustainable Technologies? From September 2010 according to February 2010 press release; from 2011 according to March 2010 press release?
Fees information not available, and moot anyway. Masdar website says "There is no listed fee structure as currently full financial support is available to all qualified students who are admitted. No separate scholarship application is required. The only criteria for the scholarship is to gain admissions and as such only the online application for admission is necessary." (as of 11 July 2010)
Masdar Foundation program
- Masdar Institute announced they would start offering a Foundation Program for the Fall 2010 semester to better prepare students for the MSc programs.
- Dr. Lamya N Fawwaz, Assistant Provost for Regional Affairs, said in the press release "The Foundation Program has been designed to give selected students courses to refresh and extend their knowledge of the principles that underlie the academic field of their choosing. It also directly responds to Abu Dhabi's ambitions to create a sustainable knowledge-based economy."
- More cynical observers will wonder what the problem is with the undergraduate degrees that current applicants would be assumed to have before applying for graduate study at the Masdar Institute. Or if Masdar is short of students and trying to encourage more applicants.
- Prerequisites for entry to
Masdar Foundation Program are:
- an undergraduate degree relevant to a Masdar Institute MSc degree
- a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of no less than 3.0 on a scale of 4.0
- three letters of recommendation
- a statement of objectives
06 September 2011
- New Provost is Dr Joseph Cecchi. Previously he was Dean of the School of Engineering at University of New Mexico. He was also at Princeton University in USA.
13 July 2010 - Provost resignation
- Dr John Perkins has resigned from his position as Provost at the Masdar Institute, and will "return to the UK in the fall for personal reasons," according to media reports of a statement from the Masdar Institute Media Relations Officer, Lesley Snyman.
11 July 2010 - comments from the President, Dr Moavenzadeh, published in the Gulf News
- "Over the past three years or so, we've started from nothing in place to the current state where we have close to 50 young and dynamic faculty members from 15 to 16 different countries and the best universities,"
- "We're also talking about offering doctoral degrees to about 10 to 15 candidates."
- Dr Moavenzadeh said by the end of August students and faculty would be moving to a new, state-of-the art campus. "This building is going to have very sophisticated and expensive pieces of equipment, which is necessary to do graduate programmes,"
28 June 2010
- Masdar Institute announces new President, Dr Fred Moavenzadeh, who will start on 01 July 2010. Dr Moavenzadeh was previously at MIT as Director of the Technology and Development Program (still is?), and was involved in the establishment of the Masdar Institute (press release).
- Other senior positions include Dr Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber (Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of Masdar Institute, and is also Managing Director and CEO of Masdar), Dr John Perkins (Provost).
- Email contact updated, previously firstname.lastname@example.org.
03 September 2009
- The Masdar Institute of Science & Technology (MIST) is a collaboration between Mubadala Development Company, Masdar City, the Masdar Initiative, and the Massachusets Institute of Technology (MIT). Or something like that.
- MIST is a graduate level university college focused on energy solutions and technology using alternative, renewable, and sustainable energy sources.
- MIST courses and programs offered include Masters degrees at present, and PhD doctorates in the future.
- Scholarships available for UAE nationals to study at an overseas institute (the Masdar Institute Fellowship Program) or for students of any nationality to study at the Masdar Institute in Abu Dhabi (the
Masdar Institute Graduate Scholarship).
- First students to begin study programs in September 2009.
- Fees information not found.
- Masdar Institute accreditation was announced by the Commission of Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) on 08 June 2008 (Khaleej Times report 09 June 2008).
04 June 2009 - new Provost appointment announced
- Masdar Institute of Science and Technology announced Professor John Perkins as the new Provost, starting in June 2009 (press release).
- Previously, Professor Perkins was Vice-President and Dean of the Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences at the University of Manchester (UK), and Director of the Dalton Nuclear Institute (UK).
- Professor Perkins is Vice-President and a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Fellow of the City and Guilds of London Institute, Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered Mathematician and a Chartered Scientist.
- He shouldn't have too much trouble changing a light bulb then.
Last update 11 July 2010
General comments - might not apply to Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.