Institute of Applied Technology in Dubai
||Institute of Applied Technology
|Type of institute
||government non-profit school
|Curriculum or Student Nationality
|Qualifications or Courses
|Head of school
||Dr Abdullatif Alshamsi (Director General)
|Executive body or owner
||Abu Dhabi government
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|School area, location map
||Al Ghusais / Al Qusais - location map
||PO Box 92559, Dubai, UAE
||www.iat.ac.ae (new window)
|School fees structure
|Teacher salary range
||8,000-10,000 dhs per month (estimate only)
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
Institute of Applied Technology admissions, reviews, notes
Institute of Applied Technology reviews - add your comments, updates, or questions here.
IAT Campuses and associated schools and institutes in the UAE
- IAT Directorate Dubai, tel +971-4-2122888, PO Box
92559, Dubai (or tel +971-2-4018111, fax +971-2-4018081 in Abu Dhabi?)
- IAT Human Resources Department Dubai, tel +971-4-2122818, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or phone +971-2-4018191 in Abu Dhabi?
- IAT enquiries Dubai, tel +971-4-2122888
- IAT Abu Dhabi - boys campus only, tel +971-2-4018222.
- IAT Al Ain - boys and girls campus (girls section opened in 2009-2010?), tel +971-3-7043000
- IAT Dubai - boys campus only, tel +971-2122888
- IAT Fujairah - boys campus only, tel +971-2056000
- IAT Ras Al Khaimah - boys campus only, tel +971-7-2074000
- Aviation Academy
- Fatima College of Health Science
- School of Nursing Abu Dhabi, tel +971-2-4071000 (also seen as telephone number for IAT Abu Dhabi)?
- The Logistics Academy
- Vocational Education Development Center (VEDC)
06 September 2010
- IAT student numbers will increase to 4,300 with the addition of grade 9.
- A new Energy Program will be available.
19 May 2010
- IAT plans to expand student numbers by 1,500 to a total of about 4,200 students for 2010-2011 by adding grade 9 students to the already operating classes for grades 10-12 according to comments made by the IAT Director General, Dr Abdullatif Al Shamsi, published in The National.
- Monthly stipend for students is apparently AED 800-1000 according to the same report. Information from 2007 was that students received AED 2000 per month.
- Military training and community service is compulsory for IAT students.
15 February 2010
- Institute of Applied Technology (IAT) obtained accreditation from the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) in the USA, for all five campuses in
Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah and Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) - WAM news 15 February 2010
- Chairman of IAT Board of Trustees is Eng. Hussain Ibrahim Al Hammadi.
- Website domain
www.iat.ae no longer available?
27 December 2009
- As part of the nuclear energy deal signed between the UAE and Korea, the IAT and Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR) in the UAE will work with the following institutes in South Korea on educational and human resources development: Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Korea Electric Power Corporation, Human Resources Development Service of Korea (HRD) and Korea Development Institute.
29 December 2007
- The Institute of Applied Technology (IAT) has branches in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, and Ras Al Khaimah.
- IAT are technical and vocational schools that offer programs to Emiratis in years 10-12 (ages about 15-18). The IAT started in 2005, replacing a previous system of vocational schools in the UAE.
- Most classes are in English, and students get 2000 dhs per month. Teachers get a little more.
Institute of Applied Technology teaching jobs (December 2007)
Do some investigation before accepting a job here - the place has a poor reputation amongst expats as a place to work, with complaints about management, poor student discipline, lack of resources, misleading salary offers, difficulties finding accommodation. Accommodation allowance is 35,000-60,000 dhs per year (paid monthly) depending on emirate, and is insufficient to find a good quality apartment (forget trying to find a villa unless shared).
IAT grew out of the Technical Schools, which was mostly a rebranding exercise and a new website (both www.iat.ae and www.iat.ac.ae point to the same site). IAT was originally intended to be run by the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), a tertiary level institute with a reasonably good reputation for the most part, but at the last minute that contract was cancelled and management of the IAT was handed over to the UAE military. Quality of education for students is variable and probably depends mostly on the motivation of individual teachers, which seems to fade very quickly soon after starting work at the IAT.
The thinking behind the foundation of the schools is admirable - bring in experienced teachers and managers from overseas to improve the education system in the UAE. Unfortunately, something seems to have been lost in the implementation of the idea. To say the least.
IAT also run several specialised programs:
- Aviation Academy - open September 2007, Al Ain
- Institute of Nursing (ION), Al Ain
- School of Nursing - 3 year PreCore program for 12-13 year old boys and girls, in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain.
- Vocational Education Development Centre at Zayed Military City in Al Shahama (near Abu Dhabi) for national males who have dropped out of mainstream education.
Schools in the same area as Institute of Applied Technology
Last update 12 September 2010
General comments - might not apply to Institute of Applied Technology
- Many popular schools are full for 2014-2015. New schools in Dubai might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.