Gulf Medical University in Ajman
||Gulf Medical University
||Mr Thumbay Moideen (President)
|Executive body or owner
||Thumbay Group (founders)
||28 January 1998
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
private university, Ministry of Higher Education license
|University location / area
||Al Jurf - location map
||PO Box 4184, Ajman, UAE
||MBBS, BPT, DMD, PharmD, MCP
||22,000-75,000 dhs per year (2007-2008)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Comments about Gulf Medical University
Add a comment or review about Gulf Medical University
Gulf Medical University (GMU) courses by College (28 September 2009 press release)
College of Medicine - Undergraduate Courses
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
College of Medicine - Postgraduate Programs
- Master's Program in Clinical Pathology
- Master's Program in Public Health - starting November 2010
- Master's Program in Toxicology - starting November 2010
- Diploma in Toxicology - starting November 2010
College of Allied Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Physical Therapy (BPT)
College of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D)
College of Dentistry
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
- GMC - RACGP - MOH Fellowship Program
- Specialization and Residency Program in Germany - Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, and more.
- GMC MCKenzie program and certificate programs
Gulf Medical University MOUs and agreements
- Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary - GMU signed an MOU for "mutually beneficial joint academic collaboration" (31 March 2011 press release).
- UAE Ministry of Health (MOH) - agreement signed for academic co-operation and to provide clinical training to GMU students at UAE government hospitals and community health centers. The MOH will accredit GMC Hospital, Ajman as a teaching hospital; 3rd-5th year students of GMU can utilize teaching facilities at MOH hospitals; and graduates can work as interns at MOH hospitals.
18 February 2011 - MOHESR accreditation denied (The National 18 February 2011)
- Gulf Medical University accreditation application for its new physical therapy degree program rejected by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA). The CAA head, Professor Ian Cumbus, said "We don't enjoy denying them at this stage, and prefer to set them a number of tasks. ... we decided it needed quite a lot of time and attention, which meant going back to the drawing board."
- The Provost, Dr Gita Raj, said "We've been given many recommendations and we have to work on them, ... I'm very positive about whatever is recommended."
17 July 2010 - MOHESR accreditation for new courses
28 September 2009
- Gulf Medical University press release with summary of courses and other information released. GMU focuses on Medical Education, Healthcare, and Research.
- GMU on an area of 100,000 sq meters (1 million sq ft).
- Students of 48 different nationalities attend GMU.
- Thumbay Group also operates the GMC Hospital & Research Center.
- GMU included in World Directory of Medical schools (WDMS) from the World Health Organization (WHO), and recognized by The Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education & Research (FAIMER).
- MBBS program started when GMU opened in 1998, Bachelor of Physiotherapy program added October 2000. Current programs also include Pharm D, DMD, Masters Programs in Clinical Pathology, Toxicology and Public Health and Primary Care, Fellowship Programs of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, and McKenzie Institute Certification Programs in MDT.
12 September 2009
- Gulf Medical University (GMU) Ajman press release announces White Coat ceremony for 150 students (presumably new students, not all students?).
- Provost is Professor Gita Ashok Raj
- President is Mr Thumbay Moideen (was, or is also, Director?).
14 April 2009
- Admissions for 2009-2010 academic year started. Priority given to UAE nationals.
- Students of 44 different nationalities study at GMU.
- New programs include Masters of Clinical Pathology (2 years) and Gulf Medical College - Royal Australian College of General Practitioners' Training Program in Family Practice (GMC-MOH-RACGP Fellowship Program, 3 years, starting May 2009)?
12 August 2008
- Gulf Medical College became Gulf Medical Universty (GMU) with effect from 01 July 2008
- Websites at www.gmcajman.com and www.gmu.ac.ae show different content. Main website assumed to have changed to www.gmu.ac.ae, not clear what the difference is between the two sites.
Last update 29 September 2009
General Comments - might not apply to Gulf Medical University
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.