Friday 13 December 2019 (UAE)
GEMS World Academy Dubai
GEMS World Academy Dubai
|School name||GEMS World Academy Dubai|
|Type of institute||private profit-making K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||UK, US|
|Qualifications or Courses||IB DP, MYP, PYP|
|Head of school||Jason McBride (Head of School)|
|Executive body or owner||GEMS Education, Varkey Group, Emirates REIT|
|Date founded||September 2007|
|Number of students (approx)||1800|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Al Khail Rd, Al Barsha South - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 126260, Dubai, UAE|
|School fees structure||55,386-96,140 dhs per year (2013-2014)|
|Teacher salary range||12,500 - 23,000 dhs per month (estimate only)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
GEMS World Academy Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
GEMS World Academy Dubai reviews - add yours here.
GEMS World Academy Dubai (GWA-DXB) tuition fee structure, information, reviews
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2013-2014||55,386||55,386||69,283||69,283||69,283||69,283||69,283||79,733||79,733||79,733||79,733||87,780||87,780||96,140||96,140|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2010-2011||53,000||53,000||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||84,000||84,000||92,000||92,000|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2009-2010||53,000||53,000||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||84,000||84,000||92,000||92,000|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2008-2009||53,000||53,000||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||84,000||84,000||92,000||92,000|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2007-2008||53,000||53,000||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||66,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||76,300||84,000||84,000||92,000||92,000|
- 2013-2014 - application fee AED 500 (non-refundable), admission fee on acceptance AED 7,500 (non-refundable but deduction from Term 1 fees). Fees are exclusive of uniform costs, food, bus transport, any additional English language or special needs learning support.
- 2011-2012 fees information not supplied.
- 2009-2010 - application and assessment fee of AED 500. fees appear to be payable in 3 unequal instalments for 2009-2010 (most expensive term is term I), and two equal instalments for 2010-2011. There was a registration fee of 2000 dhs and admission fee of 3000 dhs in previous years, unknown if that still applies.
- Location and school address in Al Barsha South, off Al Khail Road, near the JSS School Dubai Al Barsha. Exit Sheikh Zayed Road or Al Khail Rd at the Hessa St junctions and drive in the desert direction, turn left after the JSS International School campus. See location map for more detail. Areas near DWA Dubai include Al Barsha, Arabian Ranches, Dubai Motorcity, Dubai Sports City, Jumeirah Village, Emirates Hills The Springs and The Meadows, DuBiotech.
GWA Dubai teaching jobs and careers
- See the Careers at GWA-Dubai section for details of any current or future vacancies. GEMS also uses teacher recruitment agencies for example Search Associates.
- Teaching job applications must include CV with contact details of most recent supervisor, recent photograph, three letters of recommendation (written references). Or complete a job application package, available from GWA Dubai reception. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with name of position applied for in subject line. Covering letter not specified but usually it's sensible to include one.
- Requirements are teaching certification, minimum 2 years teaching experience, preferably IB experience.
- Overseas hire benefits package includes annual return airfare to home country, furnished accommodation, health cover (unknown if private or government), settling in allowance of US$1000 (about AED 3,700), annual professional development allowance of US$500 (about AED 1700), laptop computer use, free annual tuition for children (limited to one child per teacher, not clear if that means teaching couples get two or not), bonus for master's degree, end of service gratuity (not specified so assume minimum as per UAE law).
- Salary and pay scale not provided but fee level indicates it should be decent enough, however the one child limit on free tuition for teachers is a negative indicator. Think twice if you have more than one child, tuition costs at schools like GWA are high.
- 2013 Aug: Mr Jason McBride (Head of School), taking over from Mr Dan Young who went to GEMS World Academy Singapore.
- 2009 Sep: Mr Jason McBride (Elementary School Principal), previously principal at the GEMS American Academy Abu Dhabi.
- 2009 Apr: Mr Dan E Young (Superintendent and CEO). Previously at RAK American School, and Dubai American Academy before that.
- 2007-2009: Mr Stuart Dennis (Founding Principal). Previously previously principal of Jumeirah Primary School. Moved to British International School Abu Dhabi for May 2009.
GWA Dubai calendar and term dates 2013-2014
- Term 1 start date 02 Sep 2013 (also for Semester 1) for most students. New students attend on 01 Sep 2013. PreK-KG2 students start date 03 Sep 2013. Last day of Term 1 is 19 Dec 2013, classes finish at 1200. Holidays start.
- Term 2 start date Mon 06 Jan 2014 for students. First day for teachers is 05 Jan 2013. Semester 1 ends 30 Jan 2014, Semester 2 starts 02 Feb 2014. Last day of Term 2 is 10 Apr 2014, early finish, 1200, Spring Break holiday starts.
- Term 3 start date Mon 21 Apr 2014. Term 3 last day is Thu 19 Jun 2014 for students, also last day of Semester 2 and the Academic Year, students dismissed early at 1200, summer holiday starts. Last day for teachers is Fri 20 Jun 2014, finish at 1200 (according to GWA Calendar - seems odd, Friday is normally a weekend day off in the UAE).
23 November 2013 review
- Emirates REIT Ltd, a UAE property investment trust, has taken over ownership of GEMS World Academy in Dubai from GEMS Education in a leasehold deal. GEMS will lease the property from Emirates REIT and continue to operate the school. Press release said there will be no impact on school operations, but presumably Emirates REIT made the deal because it saw a profit making opportunity, so that might have some impact on operations of the school. The press release also said The GEMS property acquisition, which is yield-accretive, represents approximately 25 per cent of Emirates REIT’s income stream so the revenue generation must be significant, given that Emirates REIT now has 8 properties in its portfolio.
- GEMS sold the school to REIT to help fund our development and expansion plans within the UAE education sector according to the story.
- Value of the deal, and length of lease not reported, but total value of Emirates REIT portfolio given as Emirates REIT’s assets to eight properties now valued at over Dh1.1 billion.
- Head's name updated to Jason McBride (Head of School), previously was GWA-Dubai Elementary School Principal and Assistant Head of School. Previous head was Dan E Young (Superintendent, CEO). Date of change not supplied (was August 2013?). Mr Young moved to the new GEMS World Academy in Singapore (opening Aug 2014) as Founding Head and CEO. GWAD Elementary school principal is Ms Megan Brazil.
- Contact details updated. Fax number updated to +971-4-323 3176 (previous +971-4-3233076, unknown if still valid, changed, or was an error). Email address updated to email@example.com (previous firstname.lastname@example.org, unknown if still valid).
- Weebly used for GWAD Primary Years Program (PYP) communication and educational resources, website address gwapyp.weebly.com which has links to other sites for classes PreK, KG1, KG2, Grades 1-5.
17 May 2010 review
- GEMS World Academy Dubai (GWA-Dubai) has announced that they have been authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to offer the two year IB Diploma Program for senior students.
- GWA Dubai IB classes will start in September 2011 for Grade 11 students according to the 17 May 2010 press release (not September 2010) - "The school commences its two year diploma program starting September 2011."
- GWA already offers IB junior and middle school programs, or something. Press release said "The Academy finalises authorisation of pursuing the Primary Years and Middle Years programs, fall 2010" whatever that means.
29 April 2009 review
- Stuart Dennis, the current (?) GEMS Dubai World Academy head, is moving to the new Abu Dhabi British International School for May 2009.
- Dan E Young is now Superintendent and CEO of GWA Dubai. Presumably he moved after the new American School in RAK closed down earlier in 2009, prior to that he was at another GEMS school, the Dubai American Academy (DAA).
- Grade 11 starts from September 2009.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program expected to be offered from 2010 or 2011 subject to IBO approval.
- Same GWA websites at www.gemsworldacademy-dubai.com and www.gemsworldschool-dubai.com. Information also at www.gemseducation.com but no website at www.gwadubai.ae (might be for email only).
04 January 2009 review
- Contact details updated from GEMS World School Academy website. Old telephone number +971-4-3417857 and fax number +971-4-3417858. Old email email@example.com.
- Class expansion schedule is September 2007 pre-K to grade 6 (maybe grade 7 & 8), September 2008 pre-K to 9 (maybe grade 10), September 2009 pre-K to grade 12.
07 September 2008 review
- School name is now GEMS World Academy (GWA?). Website www.gemsworldschool-dubai.com still valid, with same information as GWA website.
- GWA advertisements say they are the first and only school with a 50 meter swimming pool (Olympic size). Previous information was that it would be a 25m pool.
- Additional telephone contact is mobile +971-50-5513343.
- Website www.gwsdubai.ae seems to be for email contact only - no content when checked.
- Fees assumed to be unchanged from 2007-2008 - GWA website still has 2007-2008 figures, KHDA information is that GWA applied for 25% increase but were ineligible as it was a new school.
30 June 2007 review
- GEMS World School aims to provide a holistic international whole body mind and spirit education, or something like that, for children in Dubai, which sounds impressive. It should be, GEMS spent AED 200 million on the project. GWS will hold first term classes for 2007-2008 academic year at Royal Dubai School while GWS facilities are being completed. Registration at GWS Registration Center at Dubai American Academy. There is also a mobile contact number +971-50-5504272 available 0700-2000 Dubai time. GWS will start with KG to grade 6 and progress to grade 12 by 2010.
- GWS is seeking accreditation from the Council of International Schools (CIS) and authorization from IBO to run IBPYP/IBMYP/IB programs, but IB will not be offered for September 2007.
- Additional programs offered include Breakfast Club early mornings, GEMS enrich after school, GWSclub after GEMSenrich, and GEMSclub on Saturdays, so parents hardly ever have to see their kids.
- Discount of 20% on fees for the first year if registration before September 2007 (and 10% in the following year). Registration Fee of 2000 dhs and Admission Fee of 3000 dhs. Fees are about the most expensive in Dubai for schooling. School website says fees paid to another school in Dubai can be deducted from GWS fees. Check with school exactly what this means.
- Comprehensive facilities will include a planetarium, robotics studio, TV studio, 25m swimming pool, athletic track, tennis and squash courts, and a rooftop Peace Garden where students can bunk off, er spend time in reflective contemplation.
Last update 27 November 2014
General comments - might not apply to GEMS World Academy Dubai
- Many popular schools are full for 2019-2020. New schools in Dubai might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
- American schools in Dubai
- Best British school in Dubai - add your vote and/or comment to the forum topic.
- Study in Dubai - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Dubai - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Dubai - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Dubai education||Nurseries in Dubai | Schools in Dubai | New schools in Dubai 2018-2019 | Special needs in Dubai | Colleges in Dubai | Universities in Dubai | KHDA | KHDA school inspections ||
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.