Tuesday 04 August 2020 (UAE)
English College Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
English College Dubai
|School name||English College Dubai|
|Type of institute||private K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||UK|
|Qualifications or Courses||NC, GCSE, A-level|
|Head of school||Mr Mark Ford (Principal)|
|Executive body or owner||Board of Governors, Shaikh Butti Maktoum Bin Juma Al Maktoum|
|Number of students (approx)||1000|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Sheikh Zayed Rd, Al Safa 1, Jumeirah - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 11812, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.englishcollege.ac.ae (new window)|
|School fees structure||51,600-61,800 dhs per year (2018-2019)|
|Teacher salary range||11,600 - 16,200 dhs per month (estimate only)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
English College Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
English College Dubai reviews - add yours here.
The English College in Dubai (TEC, EC, ECD) tuition fees, information
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2018-2019d||51,600||51,600||51,600||55,900||55,900||61,800||61,800|
|Annual fees (AED) 2014-2015||45,486||45,486||45,486||49,346||49,346||54,493||54,493|
|Annual fees (AED) 2013-2014|
|Annual fees (AED) 2012-2013||23,638||27,275||27,275||27,275||27,275||27,275||27,275||29,093||44,329||44,329||44,329||48,091||48,091||53,107||53,107|
|Annual fees (AED) 2011-2012|
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011||22,620||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||27,840||42,420||42,420||42,420||46,020||46,020||50,820||50,820|
|Annual fees (AED) 2009-2010||22,620||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||26,100||27,840||42,420||42,420||42,420||46,020||46,020||50,820||50,820|
|Annual fees (AED) 2008-2009||42,420||42,420||42,420||46,020||46,020||50,820||50,820|
|Annual fees (AED) 2007-2008||36,570||36,570||36,570||39,675||39,675||43,815||43,815|
|Annual fees (AED) 2005-2007||19,500||22,500||22,500||22,500||22,500||22,500||22,500||24,000||36,570||36,570||36,570||39,675||39,675||43,815||43,815|
|Annual fees (AED) 2004-2005|
|Annual fees (AED) 2003-2004||31,800||31,800||31,800||34,500||34,500||38,100||38,100|
- 2014-2015 admission application fee AED 500, tuition deposit AED 4,000, security deposit AED 1,000. Note that from September 2014 The English College primary school will no longer operate. Tuition fee range AED 45,486-54,493.
- 2013-2014 fees information not supplied.
- 2012-2013 admission application fee AED 500, tuition deposit (non-refundable) AED 3,000 for primary, AED 4,000 for secondary, deposit (refundable) AED 1,000. Additional costs and charges for books, uniform, transport not supplied. Uniforms available from Magrudys on Jumeirah Beach Road.
- 2010-2011 admission application fee AED 300, tuition deposit (deducted from first term's fees) AED 3,000 FS1-Year 6 or AED 4,000 Year 7-Year 13, refundable joining deposit AED 1,000. Tuition fees due in three installments - before the start of each term.
- Admission registration applications and enquiries contact tel +971-4-394 3465 ext 304, and email email@example.com. Additional email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- English College Secondary School (ECSS) opened in 1992, Primary School (ECPS) opened in 2004, closed in 2014. EC websites at www.englishcollegeprimary.ac.ae, www.englishcollegesecondary.ac.ae, and www.englishcollege.ac.ae. EC Primary School blog at ecpsdubai.blogspot.ae. Secondary school blog not found. A-level and GCSE exam results available on EC secondary school website (Academic > Exam Information).
- Owner's name, number of staff, not supplied.
- Location Sheikh Zayed Road coast side, sort of opposite Oasis Center mall, between Safa Park and Manara Rd interchanges, in Al Safa 1 community, Jumeirah area. Between 29th and 35th streets.
The English College Dubai careers and teaching jobs
- Website Home > Jobs.
- 2019: Mr Mark Ford (Principal). Previously principal at Garden International School in Malaysia., and at Dubai British School before that.
- 2018 (?): Sir Greg Martin (Principal)
- 2014: Ms Jane Ballard (Acting Headteacher).
- 2012-2014: Ms Jane Ballard (Head of Secondary).
- 2010-2014: Mr William Johnston (Head of Primary), moved to Capital School in Dubai as Founding Principal.
- 2005-2012: Mr Allan Forbes (Principal or Headteacher).
- 2004-2010: Ms Fiona Davies (English College Primary School Founding Headteacher), moved to Kingscote School, Gerrards Cross, UK as Headmistress.
The English College, Dubai calendar and term dates 2013-2014
- Term 1, Winter Term 2013 dates Sun 08 Sep 2013 to Thu 19 Dec 2013 (earlier start dates for staff and new students).
- Term 2, Spring Term 2014 dates Sun 05 Jan 2014 to Thu 10 Apr 2014.
- Term 3, Summer Term 2014 dates Sun 27 Apr 2014 to Mon 30 Jun 2014.
English College of Dubai reviews and information
12 December 2018 - new primary school section at The English College
- The English College secondary school will merge with the Manor Primary School to become a FS1-Year 13 school, called The English College from January 2019.
- In 2014 The English College closed the primary section, which later reopened as a new school, The Manor Primary School.
Teaching job applications (2010-2014)
- See the Employment Opportunities section of the EC website for current vacancies and positions.
- Send letter of application, CV, recent photo, and contact details of two referees or references, addressed to (check website to confirm name is up to date):
- Ms Jane Ballard, Acting Headteacher Secondary School, email@example.com for secondary positions
- Mr William Johnston, Headteacher Primary School, firstname.lastname@example.org for primary jobs.
- Salary or pay scale not provided. Benefits package for overseas contracts includes furnished accommodation, medical insurance, annual flight allowance, baggage allowance, visa costs and gratuity. Employment contracts are for 2 years (renewable).
14 February 2011 review
- Headteacher of the primary school at The English College is William Johnston (Bill Johnston), started September 2010, previously headteacher at Stanwix School, a primary school in Carlisle, Wales. Headteacher of the secondary school is Allan Forbes according to teaching jobs advertisement in the Gulf News (date unknown but might have been 01 February 2011).
- Teaching job application closing date 19 February 2011, email email@example.com for primary vacancies (FS, KS1, KS2, French, Music teachers), email firstname.lastname@example.org for secondary positions (Arabic, English heads of department; Art and Design, Chemistry, Economics and Business Studies, English, History, Maths, Physics, Science teachers; possibly a Sociology teacher; librarian).
11 October 2010 review
- The English College (TEC) fee structure updated for 2010-2011, appears to be unchanged from 2009-2010, but confirmation not supplied.
- New primary school headteacher is (not supplied)? Ms Fiona Davies has left and is now Headmistress at Kingscote School, Gerrards Cross, UK, although TEC website still lists Fiona Davies as "Head of Primary." Unless the new primary head just happens to have the same name as the previous primary head.
30 September 2009 review
- Email received from The English College (TEC?) to clarify that school is co-ed at senior levels, not segregated.
- Contact email updated (was email@example.com, might still be valid). EC says do not use the email address firstname.lastname@example.org listed on their website.
- Tuition fees for 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 estimated based on KHDA information that The English College was eligible for 16% fees increase in the secondary school (Grades 7-12) for 2008-2009. FS1 = KG1, FS2 = KG2 (approximately).
- April 2009 KHDA Inspection Report (date of inspection October 2008) says Principals (Headteachers) are Allan Forbes and Fiona Davies. Alan Forbes has been headteacher since September 2005.
18 September 2006 review
- Many would regard The English College as one of the better schools in Dubai for a western or British education.
- TEC doesn't quite have the reputation of the American School in Dubai or Dubai College, but then it's not as snobby either.
- Girls and boys might be segregated in the secondary school?
- Majority of students and staff at The English College are British.
- Incorrect tel and fax nos seen are tel +971-4-3446465 (is for an IT shop?), fax +971-4-3446342 (for Emirates English Speaking School?).
- English College Primary School established in September 2004 by Fiona Davies as Founding Head Teacher?
English College Dubai primary school closure June 2014
12 June 2014
- Secondary head, Ms Jane Ballard, is Acting Headteacher of The English College. Primary school head, Mr William Johnston has moved to the new Capital School in Dubai as Founding Principal.
04 December 2013
- It appears as though there has been no change to the announcement that the English College primary school would close in June 2014 despite investigations into an alternative solution.
- Oddly though, the closure decision now seems to have been made by the KHDA according to a Gulf News Xpress report - English College shutdown inevitable as KHDA refuses to change stance ... with the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) refusing to budge on its decision to shut the school next year. It wasn't clear what information GN had found or received to make that statement.
- The last information we had was that it was the owner's decision to close the school because it was making a loss and the KHDA would not allow a large fee increase. No further statement supplied by the KHDA or the school owners since then to explain why it was now the KHDA and not the owner's decision to close the school.
- Also confusingly, a letter or email apparently sent by the head, William Johnston, on 27 Nov 2013 (not confirmed) said "The original letter sent by the board is confirmed and the school is scheduled to close at the end of June 2014. I have been informed that all avenues have and will continue to be explored, but of course it is now time for you to make alternative arrangements for your child. The closure is for business reasons and is not related to fee increases…" But a previous letter (18 Nov 2013) said the school closure was related to fee increases ... "The KHDA ... has refused permission to raise our fees."
26 November 2013
- Regarding the announced English College primary school closure, the KHDA was reported as "actively bringing the owner and associated parties together to find a suitable solution."
- Dr Abdulla Al Karam, Director-General of the KHDA, was quoted or issued a statement saying "We are working closely with all associated parties at English College, keeping the best interests of students in mind. The issue has caused distress to parents, teachers and students. As soon as further information is available, English College will communicate directly with the parents."
- Unclear what that actually means - whether the KHDA is considering allowing a fees increase to keep the school open, or trying to persuade the owners to keep the school open without a fee increase, or something else.
23 November 2013
- The English College announced that the owners or Board of Governors had decided to close the primary school section at the end of the 2013-2014 academic year due to KHDA imposed restrictions on school fee increases. A letter dated 18 Nov 2013 (Monday) by the EC Primary School Headteacher, William Johnston, said "The reasons that have been given are purely business - basically the Primary phase of The English College has been making a loss which cannot be sustained. The KHDA who controls fees in all Private Schools has refused permission to raise our fees and therefore the board has come to the decision to close."
- News reports on Wednesday and Thursday said parents had sent 250 letters to the KHDA requesting the authority to give permission to the school to raise fees by 20%. The KHDA did not comment despite apparently saying they would - a 7 Days report said The organisation had said it would release a statement on the primary school on Wednesday but none was forthcoming.
- EC website says "The English College Primary School will be closing at the end of the academic year so we are no longer accepting applications."
- Unknown yet if the school is closing for real, or if it is an attempt by the owners to try and persuade the KHDA to allow a larger fee increase than what is usually permitted, similar to how things went when GEMS Education announced in December 2012 that the GEMS Westminster School in Dubai would be closing. In May 2013 they said they wouldn't close after all.
- Present secondary school Acting Principal is Ms Jane Ballard, started September 2012 (previously Director of Studies at EC?). Previous Principal or Headteacher was Allan Forbes.
- EC 2013 exam results: For GCSE, most subjects had 90-100% of students attaining grades A*-C. For A-levels, most subjects had 75-100% of students obtaining grades A-C (no A* awarded except for one student in PE).
Schools in the same area as English College Dubai
|School name||Level||Curriculum||School fees||Reviews|
|Al Anwaar Kindergarten||UAE|
|Al Ittihad Private School Jumeirah||1998||K-12||Arabic, US||21,584-44,039|
|Jumeirah English Speaking School||1975||primary||UK||32,045-40,165|
|Jumeirah Primary School||1996||primary||UK||32,775-41,315||JPS reviews|
|Senses Dubai||Support Services|
Last update 06 August 2019
General comments - might not apply to English College Dubai
- Many popular schools are full for 2020-2021. New schools in Dubai might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
- British schools in Dubai
- Best British school in Dubai - add your vote and/or comment to the forum topic.
- Study in Dubai - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Dubai - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Dubai - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Dubai education||Nurseries in Dubai | Schools in Dubai | New schools in Dubai 2019-2020 | Special needs in Dubai | Colleges in Dubai | Universities in Dubai | KHDA | KHDA school inspections ||
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.