Emirates International Maritime Academy
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Emirates International Maritime Academy in Dubai
|College name||Emirates International Maritime Academy|
|Director's name||Captain Jaafar bin Sidin (Director)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Date founded||May 2008|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private college|
|College location / area||Dubai Maritime City Education Complex - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 117774, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.eima.ae (new window)|
|Qualifications||MSc, short courses|
|Instructor salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Instructor job satisfaction rating
(by instructors, not about instructors)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Emirates International Maritime Academy admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Dubai colleges forum
Emirates International Maritime Academy (EIMA) courses and programs
- Master of Science (MSc) in Marine Technology - in collaboration with Newcastle University.
Start date expected to be February 2011.
- Cost AED 75,000 (not clear if total or per year), full-time (or part-time according to a press release 03 February 2011?) course delivered in 10 modules during a 2 year period, followed by a thesis.
- Prerequisites Bachelor of Engineering, Naval Architecture, or Science (in a relevant discipline) with professional experience in the shipping industry.
- Scholarships worth £1,360 (about AED 8,000) available from Newcastle University.
- Undergraduate degrees expected to be offered from 2012 (Gulf News report 24 October 2010).
Short courses in Maritime and Ship Security, Basic Boat Handling, Port Operations, etc. Most course 1-5 days duration.
- Basic Safety Training
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Crowd Management & Safety Training for Passengers Ships
- Ship Security Officer
- Company Security Officer
- Port Facility Security Officer
- Appreciation To ISPS Code
- Maritime Resource Management (MRM)
- Master Near Coastal (Less Than 200GT) - a 4 week course
- Mooring Safety For Portworkers
- Introduction to SMCP
- Appreciation To ISM Code
- Hazardous Material (IMDG) Level 1 and 2
- Rigging & Lifting
- Forklift Operating Safety
- Basic Emergency First Aid training
- Office Safety
- Basic Fire Fighting & Self Rescue
- Basic Power Boat
Emirates International Maritime Academy agreements and memorandums of understanding
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (03 February 2011) - agreement signed to launch the MSc in Marine Technology degree in 2011.
- Swedish Club Academy (13 July 2010) - licensing agreement signed for EIMA to become a maritime resource management (MRM) provider in the Middle East.
- Lloyds Register (27 September 2008 press release) - MoU signed to jointly offer and develop maritime courses, programs, and workshops in security, safety and ship classifications. Also to establish the "Marine Centre of Excellence" in the Dubai Maritime City Campus (DMC Campus).
13 July 2010 - EIMA Maritime Resource Management courses (press release)
- Emirates International Maritime Academy (EIMA) will provide Maritime Resource Management (MRM) courses and workshops after signing a licensing agreement with the Swedish Club Academy.
- The MRM course will cover the principles of Bridge Resource Management (BRM) as outlined in Section B-VIII/2, part 3-1 of the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code. Er what?
10 May 2010
- Emirates International Maritime Academy (EIMA) announces their first degree program - an MSc in Marine Technology in partnership with Newcastle University in the UK.
- The program will include advanced marine technologies, management, and business operations. Classes will be offered in evenings and weekends.
- Program fee information not supplied or found.
- EIMA also plans to offer professional education and training programs for merchant marine, off-shore and shore-based maritime industries.
01 May 2008
- Emirates International Maritime Academy (EIMA) (not Emirates International Marine Academy) announced by the Dubai Maritime City Authority (DMCA) as a new tertiary college and training institute offering marine, engineering, and maritime navigation programs and courses (press release 01 May 2008).
- Location will be the Dubai Maritime City Education Campus (DMCC).
- According to the press release, "Study programs will be conducted according to International Maritime Organization (IMO) standards in both theoretical and practical training."
- Director's name also written as Captain Ja'afar Bin Sidin.
Last update 29 June 2010
General comments - might not apply to Emirates International Maritime Academy
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for instructors too)
- UQAIB - a quality assurance agency to licence free zone colleges and universities in Dubai
|Colleges||Colleges in Abu Dhabi | Colleges in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Colleges in Dubai | Colleges in Ras Al Khaimah | Colleges in Sharjah | Colleges in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.