Monday 09 December 2019 (UAE)
British University in Dubai
British University in Dubai
|University name||British University in Dubai|
|Director's name||Dr Abdullah Al Shamsi (Vice-Chancellor)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||private university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||Floor 1, Block 11, Dubai International Academic City - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 502216, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.buid.ac.ae (new window)|
|Qualifications||MSc, MEd, PhD, EdD DEd, PGDE|
|University fees||AED 80,000 (needs updating)|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
British University in Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Dubai universities forum
British University in Dubai (BUiD) courses and programs
- Master of Science (MSc) in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution (first classes February 2010 ... or September 2010?), in association with the Centre of Construction Law and Dispute Resolution at King's College London.
- MSc in Information Technology, Information Technology Management, Environmental Design of Buildings, Finance and Banking
- MSc in Intelligent Building Design and Automation (IBDAA) - starting in September 2010.
- MSc in Project Management part time (2 years) or full time (1 year).
- Master of Education in Special Needs, English Language Teaching, International Management and Policy
- MEd Intensive Programme.
- Doctor of Education or Doctorate in Education (DEd / EdD) program launched for September 2009 start?
- Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in association with the KHDA as part of their Teach in Dubai program for Emirati and Arab students interested in teaching careers.
- PhD in Education, Project Management, Information Technology (planned)
- PhD in Architecture focusing on environmentally-aware design, via the Welsh School of Architecture (WSA) at Cardiff University in Wales, UK.
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses can be taken by doing individual modules from the masters programs, including Education, Finance and Banking, Human Resource Management, Information Technology, IT Management, Project Management, Systems Engineering, Construction Law and Dispute Resolution, and Sustainable Design of the Built Environment.
- Special Needs Children Teacher Assistant Training program - for Emirati women, to train them as Teacher Assistants with special needs children included in mainstream public schools in the UAE. Run by the British University in Dubai (BUiD) in cooperation with the UAE Down Syndrome Association (UAEDSA) and the Emirates Foundation. Starts May 2012 (WAM report 06 May 2012).
British University in Dubai salary and benefits package (10 August 2010)
A Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Professor job being advertised by BUiD listed the following benefits. Actual salary scale not supplied.
- Housing accommodation allowance contribution AED 60,000 (lecturer) or AED 90,000 (Senior Lecturer, Professor) per annum.
- Private school fees paid up to AED 40,000 per annum per child, up to 2 children.
- Medical insurance and economy class annual flights for teacher, spouse, and up to 2 children.
- Set-up allowance AED 40,000 (lecturer), or AED 60,000 (senior lecturer / professor) with pro-rata repayment required if 3 year contract not completed.
- Gratuity payment 1 month salary for each year of service.
British University in Dubai agreements and memorandums of understanding (MoUs)
- BUiD and Arabian Child signed an MoU to provide teacher training to kindergarten, early years and childhood teachers (press release 22 November 2010). Also for primary school teachers? Training only available to Emiratis?
08 July 2013 (WAM)
- British University of Dubai announced a 25% reduction in fees for the 2013-2014 academic year to celebrate their 10th anniversary of operating in Dubai.
19 August 2010 - BUiD MSc Taster Courses (press release)
- The British University in Dubai (BUiD) is offering free (except for assessment) taster courses for its MSc programs. Courses cover (with relevant degree program in brackets):
- Organisational Change (MSc Human Resource Management)
- Program and Portfolio Management (Project Management)
- Modelling Methods and Applications (MSc Systems Engineering)
- Strategy (Project Management)
- Sustainable Built Environments (MSc Sustainable Design of the Built Environment)
- Each taster course consists of 6-9 sessions, to be held from September to November on one evening per week from 1800-2000 (6-10pm).
- Attendees will receive a certificate of attendance, and they can also attempt an accredited assessment (fee payment required) for which they receive an additional certificate if successful, as well as credit transfer to the related MSc program if they enrol.
- Successful completion of the taster course assessment will also lead to a provision offer of a place on the related MSc degree program.
- Applications should be completed online at the BUiD website, deadline is 26 August 2010.
17 June 2010 - MSc in Intelligent Building Design and Automation (IBDAA)
- British University in Dubai (BUiD) announced they would offer an MSc in Intelligent Building Design and Automation (IBDAA) from September 2010.
- The MSc IBDAA will be offered association with Cardiff University and the University of Manchester in the UK.
- Program goals are to educate practicing architects and building physicists in the theory and application of the design of sustainable built environments and automated control systems for energy efficiency.
03 March 2010 - BUiD new campus inaugurated (WAM 04 March 2010)
- The new campus of the British University in Dubai (BUiD) at Dubai International Academic City (DIAC) was officially opened by by HH Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chancellor of BUiD (and Chairman & CEO of Emirates Group, President of Dubai Department of Civil Aviation, Chairman of Dubai Airports).
- New campus facilities include a bigger library, more classrooms, staff offices, and open space.
- BUiD new location is in phase three of DIAC.
- Area of new campus is 25 million square feet.
- Previous location was Block 17, Dubai Knowledge Village. University moved to DIAC from February 2010?
17 February 2010 - British University of Dubai partnership with Cardiff University
- British University in Dubai (BUiD) announces a partnership with Cardiff University in the UK, whereby students can do the Welsh School of Architecture PhD in architectural sustainability. The qualification is a Cardiff University degree, not a BUiD degree, and study will require some time at Cardiff University (BUiD press release 17 February 2010).
- BUiD has associations with British universities including University of Birmingham, University of Cardiff , University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester, King's College London, and Cass Business School - City University - London.
24 January 2010 - BUiD Master's degree in Construction Law
- The BUiD Construction Master's will start in February 2010 after all, at least according to a BUiD press release announcing the appointment of Professor Haitham Haloush, previously at The Hashemite University in Jordan, as Senior Lecturer of the program: "... the newly-launched Masters (MSc) programme in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution (CLDR), to commence in February 2010."
18 January 2009
- The Master's degree in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution that was announced in November 2009 will apparently start in September 2010, not February 2010, according to a report in The National newspaper 18 January 2009: "Kings College London has signed an agreement with the British University in Dubai for a postgraduate course on construction law that was approved last month by the Dubai International Financial Centre and will start in September."
12 December 2009 - BUiD relocation
- British University in Dubai will relocate to a new campus in Dubai Academic City for February 2010 (press release 12 December 2009).
10 November 2009 - MSc in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution
- New Master's program in construction law and dispute resolution announced by the British University in Dubai (BUiD).
- Designed for architects, engineers, lawyers, surveyors, and anyone else who enjoys a bit of a scrap.
- First classes to start in February 2010. Program can be studied full-time (1 year) or part-time (2-3 years). Classes will be held on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Program consists of five modules (160 credits) and a dissertation (40 credits). Full-time students take 2 modules each semester and part-time students take 1 module each semester.
- Entry requirements are a bachelor's degree equivalent to a minimum of a British Upper Second Class Honours Degree, or a GPA of 3 or above (on a 4 point scale) from an accredited university, and English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 580.
- MSc modules include Introduction to Law and Construction, Construction Law I and II, Arbitration and Construction, Dispute Resolution and Construction.
- Supported by the Dubai Courts, and legal and construction organisations in Dubai.
- The new MSc course is offered in association with the Centre of Construction Law and Dispute Resolution at King's College London, and is accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MHESR).
12 August 2009
- British University in Dubai has scholarships available for expatriates and Emiratis planning to study in the areas of Banking and Finance, Education, Human Resource Management (HRM), Information Technology (IT), IT Management, Project Management, Sutainable Environment Design, Systems Engineering.
- Deadline for scholarship applications for 2009-2010 academic year is 31 August 2009.
- Current scholarship sponsors include Atkins, Deyaar, Emirates Foundation, Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation.
- Previous information was that BUiD scholarships could cover up to 50% or 75% of tuition fees. Some current scholarships appear to cover 100% of tuition fees, or an amount of 40,000 dhs.
- BUiD scholarships restricted to full-time students (Masters degree program only?) who have been accepted to the university and do not receive financial assistance from other sources (company for example). Additional requirements might apply (e.g. minimum number of research hours).
- Vice-Chancellor also referred to as Dr Abdullah AlShamsi.
18 May 2008
- Also referred to as The British University in Dubai (BUiD) or The British University of Dubai.
- BUiD associated with Cardiff University, Cass Business School at City University London (see also Cass Dubai for MBA courses), Universtiy of Birmingham, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester.
- BUiD Chancellor is Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Last update 19 August 2010
General comments - might not apply to British University in Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Academic City - schools and tertiary institutes in Ruwayah.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
- University Quality Assurance International Dubai - licenses DIAC institutes in Dubai (the UQAIB)
|Universities||Universities in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Universities in Dubai | Universities in Ras Al Khaimah | Universities in Sharjah | Universities in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.