British International School Abu Dhabi
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
British International School Abu Dhabi
|School name||British International School Abu Dhabi|
|Type of institute||private profit-making K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||UK|
|Qualifications or Courses||IB, IGCSE, NC|
|Head of school||Mr Patrick Horne (Principal)|
|Executive body or owner||Nord Anglia Education Limited|
|Date founded||September 2009|
|Number of students (approx)||1250|
|Number of staff (approx)||150|
|School area, location map||Capital District, Zayed City - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 60968, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|School fees structure||47,900-63,200 dhs per year (2015-2016)|
|Teacher salary range||10,000-16,000 dhs per month (2013-2014)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
British International School Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
British International School Abu Dhabi reviews - add yours here.
British International School Abu Dhabi (BISAD) tuition fees, general information
|Annual fees (AED) 2015-2016||47,900||47,900||56,100||56,100||56,100||56,100||56,100||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||63,200||63,200|
|Annual fees (AED) 2014-2015||47,900||47,900||56,100||56,100||56,100||56,100||56,100||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||57,400||63,200||63,200|
|Annual fees (AED) 2013-2014||46,497||46,497||54,457||54,457||54,457||54,457||54,457||55,772||55,772||55,772||55,772||55,772||55,772||61,349||61,349|
|Annual fees (AED) 2012-2013c||46,497||46,497||54,457||54,457||54,457||54,457||54,457||55,772||55,772||55,772||55,772|
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011||46,497||46,497||46,497||51,864||51,864||51,864||51,864||51,864||53,115||53,115||53,115||53,115|
|Annual fees (AED) 2009-2010||46,497||46,497||46,497||51,864||51,864||51,864||51,864||51,864||53,115||53,115||53,115|
- 2015-2016 registration fee increased to 5% of annual tuition fee (range AED 2,395-3,160), deducted from tuition fees when paid. Bus transport charges unchanged at AED 6,300 one way or AED 8,000 return (annual). Tuition fees include cost of text books and materials.
- 2014-2015 admission registration fee AED 1,500. Tuition fees increased 3% from 2013-2014. Bus transport fees unchanged. Uniform costs AED 250-550.
- 2013-2014 fee range AED 46,497-61,349. Registration fee AED 500. Bus transport charges AED 6,300 one way or AED 8,000 return (per year). Fee increase of 5% but BISAD was ordered by ADEC to refund the increase to parents as it was not approved by ADEC. See heading below dated 02 Sep 2013.
- 2012-2013 fee schedule not provided.
- 2009-2010 enrolment admission fees for new students AED 7,500 for foundation level students, and AED 9,000 for Years 1-8. Fees include tuition, textbooks, most extra-curricular activities and school trips. Fees do not include bus transport, lunch, uniforms, some after-school activities.
BISAD location and contact information
- Tel +971-2-5100100 for general enquiries. For admissions and enrolments tel: +971-2-5100101, +971-2-5100123, +971-2-5100131, +971-2-5100136.
- Email addresses: admission enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org, general enquiries email@example.com, teaching jobs firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (old address, might be invalid).
- Website domain www.bisabudhabi.com forwards to www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/abu-dhabi.
- FB page facebook.com/britishinternationalschoolabudhabi.
- Location: Between Khalifa City B and Mohammed Bin Zayed City on the Al Ain Rd (other side from MBZ City and Mussafah). Next to Abu Dhabi University. In the planned Capital District area (renamed as New Khalifa City or Zayed City in Nov 2013).
Teaching jobs and careers at BISAD
- Current teaching vacancies listed on BISAD website: Home > Our Staff > Work With Us > Opportunities.
- Or visit their worldwide list of vacancies here: www.jobtrain.co.uk/Nordanglia5/ (job alert registration also possible).
- Or check the Times Educational Supplement (TES) situations vacant, Nord Anglia also advertise positions there.
- Or send them an application letter and CV anyway to try and jump the queue before they advertise. You can assume hundreds of other teachers are also doing that, so don't expect a reply unless they're impressed and you get lucky with your timing.
- For an indication of salaries and benefits package information see heading below dated 16 May 2010.
- Mr Patrick Horne (Principal), from January 2015. Previously principal at The British International School Shanghai.
- Ms Lesley-Ann Wallace (Principal) until December 2014, moved to The British International School Shanghai as principal.
- Mr Chris Penter (Interim Principal at BISAD), from May 2010.
- Mr Stuart Dennis (Founding Principal), from May 2009.
24 March 2016
- Nord Anglia Education (NAE) announced on 04 Feb 2016 that they would open a new international school in Abu Dhabi for September 2017. Location given vaguely as the new CBD in Abu Dhabi.
- BISAD fees, jobs, contact information headings added or updated.
26 February 2015
- Additional phone number for admissions and enrollment enquiries is +971-2-5100131.
- Email contacts: general enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org (not for admission enquiries), admission enquiries: email@example.com (or enquiry form on website), teaching jobs: firstname.lastname@example.org. admission applications (download and complete PDF form from website first) email@example.com.
- Domain www.bisabudhabi.com forwards to website on Nord Anglia site at www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/abu-dhabi (previously www.nordanglia.com/abudhabi/).
- Domain www.bisad.ae returns an error (might be used only for emails).
02 September 2013 - fee increase, maintenance and entry fees
- The National newspaper reported that BISAD was introducing new maintenance fees of AED 2,000 per student, entry fee of AED 2,500 for Year 1 students, and AED 9,000 for other students, as a result of the school being denied a 5% increase in tuition fees by ADEC. According to the report, "ADEC said those new charges were illegal," and ADEC had told BISAD to stop collecting the additional fees.
- The instruction from ADEC was prompted by complaints from parents about the new fees. The school said the increased or additional fees were intended to be used to expand the school by 500 places, and build additional sports facilities including an indoor swimming pool and gymnasium.
- A new memo from the school reportedly said fees would be refunded or adjusted to comply with ADEC rules: "... your customer account will be readjusted from the invoice sent to you recently. This re-credit will ensure that the fees you pay are compliant with ADEC's regulations ..." Another report in The National quoted one parent as saying "I haven't received any notice about the refund ..."
29 March 2011
- BISAD contact details updated. New telephone +971-2-5100100, additional tel for admissions +971-2-5100101 (old phone number +971-2-5860340), fax number unchanged. New email firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com also listed on website), old email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website also available at www.bisad.ae.
- New principal from December 2010 is Lesley-Ann Wallace. Previously was Chris Penter (Interim Principal).
- School capacity is up to 1500 students. Year 10 starting in September 2011, Years 11 and 12 starting in September 2012, and Year 13 starting in September 2013.
29 July 2010 review
- Chris Penter is Interim Principal at BISAD. Started early May 2010? Previous head (Founding Principal) was Stuart Dennis (started in May 2009).
- Mr Penter was previously Deputy Director of Nord Anglia Inspections at Nord Anglia Education. Before that he was Headteacher at Fairfield High School for Girls in Manchester?
- Mr Dennis started an educational consultancy in April 2010, "The Learning Principal Ltd" in the UK, and is Managing Director and Senior Consultant. Or he's at Compton Education Limited (incorporated/registered on 29 June 2010). Or both?
16 May 2010 - BISAD teaching jobs
- PBR Group in the UK is advertising KS1, KS2, and secondary teaching jobs for an Abu Dhabi school offering UK National Curriculum, IGCSE, and IB. The advertisements appear to be referring to the British International School in Abu Dhabi (but not confirmed). Teaching salaries and benefits package offered includes:
- Salary of up to £32,000 per year tax-free in UAE - about AED 170,000 at May 2010 exchange rates, or AED 14,250 per month.
- Annual accommodation allowance of AED 80,000 (which is probably not enough for a decent 1 bdrm apartment in Abu Dhabi in 2010, but should be for Dubai if you feel like driving 3 hours every day).
- 40 days annual holiday.
- Flights at start and end of contract, and AED 7,000 per year flight allowance for teacher and family (enough for one person to fly anywhere economy class return, or enough for 2 people to fly to Europe economy class return on a cheap airline).
- End of service gratuity (amount not specified so probably in accordance with UAE labour law).
- Free education at the school for up to 2 children.
- Medical insurance for teacher and family.
21 April 2010 review
- British International School in Abu Dhabi (BISAD) will open up to Year 9 students from September 2010, with higher grades up to Year 13 opening in following years (Year 10 in 2011 etc). Fee information for Year 9 not supplied.
- Contact details updated (previously PO Box 37557 Abu Dhabi, telephone +971-2-4474629, fax +971-2-4474347).
- Principal's email contact is email@example.com.
- BISAD plans to become an accredited IB World School offering the IB Diploma program in senior years.
- BISAD website (www.bisabudhabi.com) now forwards to BISAD information on the Nord Anglia website (www.nordanglia.com/abudhabi/).
20 December 2010 review
- BISAD Abu Dhabi has arranged with the British Institute of Learning Development to provide psychology and therapy related services for special needs students at BISAD (more information on the BILD Dubai page).
- Services available include Behaviour and Emotional Assessments, Cognitive and Scholastic Assessments, Developmental Screening, Occupational Therapy, Parenting Information and Workshops, Physiotherapy, Play Therapy, Psychometric Assessments, Psychotherapy and Counselling, Speech and Language Therapy.
29 April 2009 review
- A report in The National (22 April 2009) says BISAD will open KG-grade 8 classes in September 2009, GCSE classes in September 2010 (but school website still says IGCSE), and sixth form in September 2011.
- The school is expected to have 500 students when it opens, and eventually expand to capacity of 2000 students, with class sizes supposed to be maximum 18 students and lower levels and 22 students at senior levels.
- New principal at BISAD is Stuart Dennis according to the BISAD website. He was previously head at Dubai World Academy, and Jumeirah Primary School before that.
- BISAD is different from (and unrelated to) the new British community school Abu Dhabi (British College of Abu Dhabi) which plans to open in September 2010, and The British School Al Khubairat (BSAK), the original Abu Dhabi British Community School which opened in 1968.
20 March 2009 review
- The British International School in Abu Dhabi (BISAD) is a new school in Abu Dhabi offering British and international curriculums including International GCSE (IGCSE) and International Baccalaureate (IB). IB offered subject to approval by the IB Organisation (IBO).
- BISAD will open in three phases from with year groups FS1 - grade 8 (ages 3 - 13) starting in September 2009. Presumably IGCSE classes will start in September 2010 and IB in September 2012 as students progress upwards (or possibly September 2011 for IB if enough demand?).
- School facilities will include IT and music rooms, science labs, gymnasium, athletics track, football field, two swimming pools, indoor and outdoor play areas. Capacity for up to 1500 students.
- Contact details are for Nord Anglia Middle East Office (also has tel +971-2-4474467). Admissions email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BIS Abu Dhabi location is on the Abu Dhabi Al Ain Road, near the new Abu Dhabi University campus.
- NordAnglia, the operators of BIS Abu Dhabi, also operate British International Schools in Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary), Prague (Czech Republic), Shanghai (China), Seoul (South Korea), and Warsaw (Poland).
- Middle East Nord Anglia Director is Raza Khan. BISAD Principal has been appointed but not named as he is currently principal at another GCC school (BISAD website message from Director says "Out of respect for his current position as Principal of another very successful school in the GCC region, I cannot release the new Principal's details ...").
- Information evenings for prospective parents are being held at the Nord Anglia offices from 18:30 (6:30pm) once or twice per week (see calendar on school website for exact dates).
- Teachers interested in a job at BISAD should send CV and application to email@example.com.
- Nord Anglia are also one of the providers as part of the Abu Dhabi schools PPP program for Abu Dhabi government schools. Teachers in the program who signed up with NA sound happier with their deal than some who signed up with other providers.
Last update 24 March 2016
General comments - might not apply to British International School Abu Dhabi
- Many popular schools are full for 2020-2021. New schools in Abu Dhabi might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
- British schools in Abu Dhabi
- Best British school in Abu Dhabi - add your vote and/or comment to the forum topic.
- Study in Abu Dhabi - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Abu Dhabi education||Nurseries in Abu Dhabi | Schools in Abu Dhabi | New schools in Abu Dhabi 2019-2020 | Special needs in Abu Dhabi | Colleges in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Abu Dhabi | ADEC | ADEZ|
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.