British College Abu Dhabi
British College Abu Dhabi
|School name||British College Abu Dhabi|
|Type of institute||private non-profit K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||UK|
|Qualifications or Courses||IB, NC|
|Head of school|
|Executive body or owner||Board of Governors|
|Planned opening date||planned|
|Number of students (approx)|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|School area, location map||Khalifa City A, near Abu Dhabi Golf Club|
|Postal address||Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|School fees structure|
|Teacher salary range||see general comments|
British College Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
British College Abu Dhabi reviews - add yours here.
British College in Abu Dhabi (BCAD), British School in Abu Dhabi (BSAD) might refer to one of the following schools
- British College Abu Dhabi (BCAD) - this page. BCAD was proposed with a planned opening date of September 2010 or 2011, but unknown what happened unless they became BCAD for Brighton not British.
- Bolton College in Abu Dhabi (BCAD) - a tertiary level institute (planned), not a school.
- Brighton College in Abu Dhabi (BCAD) - opened September 2011, located in Bloom Gardens near Al Bateen Airport. About as close to a "proper" British public school branch campus as you'll get in the UAE. Sometimes called Britain College Abu Dhabi? Unless that is a reference to BSAK.
- British Community School of Abu Dhabi, British School Al Khubairat (BSAK) - generally regarded as the original (and best) "British" community school in Abu Dhabi. Often what people mean if referring to or searching for the British School in Abu Dhabi (BSAD).
- British Council School in Abu Dhabi (or British Council College) - not a school.
- British International School of Abu Dhabi (BISAD) - open September 2009, located somewhere between MBZ City and Khalifa City B, Mussafah area. Offers IB at senior levels instead of A-Levels but still sort of British.
- Cranleigh British College Abu Dhabi (CSAD) - opening date planned for September 2014 on Saadiyat Island.
- Dulwich British College Abu Dhabi (DCAD) - opening date planned as September 2012, located on Saadiyat Island. Unknown what happened, see Cranleigh School instead.
- Repton British College Abu Dhabi (RSAD) - opening date September 2013, location Shams Abu Dhabi, Al Reem Island. British primary school to start with, expanding to higher grades in future years.
We have only included in this list the names of the best British curriculum schools in Abu Dhabi which have a British system and environment similar to private British curriculum schools in the UK (called public schools in the UK) which are thought of as at least "good schools" somehow. BISAD doesn't quite fit the criteria but is sort of near enough if you don't stand too close, and squint your eyes a bit.
A number of UK based schools (which of course think they are the best British schools around) have opened or are planning to open a branch in Abu Dhabi. It seems to be a bit random whether the Abu Dhabi and UAE campus versions have as good a reputation as the UK versions. A more cynical perspective is that a group in the UAE pays the UK school to use their name but then has little more to do with the UK institute. And if backed up by a bit of marketing and some nice pictures, some parents think they are registering their children for a branch of a reputable school in the UAE, which turns out to be something less desirable in reality.
Many other schools in Abu Dhabi, and the UAE, have en element of Britishness about them for example the name ("British", "English", "Cambridge", "Westminster", "Winchester", etc), curriculum, marketing, website images, etc but are only vaguely British or not at all British (some "English" schools are Indian or Arab schools for example) in the way Brits might expect.
- Belvedere British School of Abu Dhabi (BBS) - open September 2012, MBZ City, Mussafah. Not clear how British it really is since the school was marketing itself as being more for Arab and Emirati students rather than British expats.
- British Institute Abu Dhabi (British Institute for Learning Development, BILD) - special needs school, closed in February 2012.
British College Abu Dhabi (BCAD) general information, tuition fee structure, reviews
- Fees information not supplied. Please send fee structure to email@example.com.
- Location map, opening date, head's name, contact details, teacher pay scale, student numbers and nationalities, staff numbers and nationalities, website, email, etc, not supplied. Please send information and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
08 November 2013 review
- Unknown what happened to the plan for the British College of Abu Dhabi. Website domain www.bcad.ae given in some sources appears to be spam or undeveloped. No further information found or supplied.
- A renowed British school, Brighton College of Abu Dhabi, opened in September 2011. Unknown if that had any connection to the planned British College in Abu Dhabi.
20 April 2009
- A report in The National says that the British College in Abu Dhabi (BCAD) might open in September 2011 instead of 2010, due to fund raising not progressing as rapidly as hoped. The BCAD website still says opening date expected to be September 2010.
- BCAD is not the same as, or related to, BISAD (British International School Abu Dhabi) which is planning to open in September 2009.
26 November 2008
- The British College Abu Dhabi (BCAD) is the result of a working group formed in 2007 to develop a new British Community School in Abu Dhabi to satisfy the mismatch between demand and supply for a British education.
- Curriculum will be British but with International Baccalaureate (IB) at senior grades instead of A-levels.
- The British College Abu Dhabi plans to open in September 2010 for KG to Year 6 students, and add grades each year to take it up to Year 13 by 2015, with a total capacity of 2000 students.
- A Board of Governors, headed by the British Ambassador (currently Edward Oakden) will oversee the school.
- A debenture system will be put in place to help with funding the school (buy a spot for your kid ahead of time - up to 15 years for the enthusiastic). Debentures cost AED 1 million.
- Comparable schools are likely to include the original British Community School Abu Dhabi (usually called British School Al Khubairat or BSAK) and the British International School Abu Dhabi (open September 2009).
Last update 08 November 2013
- British schools in Abu Dhabi
- Best British school in Abu Dhabi - add your vote and/or comment to the forum topic.
- Study in Abu Dhabi - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Abu Dhabi education||Nurseries in Abu Dhabi | Schools in Abu Dhabi | New schools in Abu Dhabi 2018-2019 | Special needs in Abu Dhabi | Colleges in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Abu Dhabi | ADEC | ADEZ|
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.