BITS Pilani Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
BITS Pilani Dubai
|College name||BITS Pilani Dubai|
|Director's name||Professor Dr R. K. Mittal (Director)|
|Executive body or owner||ETA Ascon Star Group|
|Date founded||September 2000|
|Number of students (approx)||900|
|Number of staff (approx)||88|
|Type of institute||private profit-making college, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|College location / area||Dubai International Academic City - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 345055, Dubai, UAE|
|Qualifications||BE (Hons), ME, MSc, MBA|
|College fees||35,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)|
|Instructor salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Instructor job satisfaction rating
(by instructors, not about instructors)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
BITS Pilani Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about BITS Pilani Dubai
Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani, Dubai (BITS Pilani Dubai) courses, programs, and fees information
Bachelor's level courses offered for September 2009 (all courses normally 4 years long)
- BE (Hons) in Biotechnology
- BE (Hons) in Chemical Engineering
- BE (Hons) in Computer Science
- BE (Hons) in Electronics & Communication Engineering
- BE (Hons) in Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- BE (Hons) in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- BE (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
Master's programs offered for September 2009
- MBA in Engineering and Technology Management
- MBA in IT enabled services management.
- ME in Microelectronics
- ME in Software Systems
- ME in Design Engineering
- ME in Biotechnology..
- MSc (Tech) in Engineering Technology
- MSc (Tech) in Information Systems.
- Entry requirement for MSc degree is 12th Grade pass with Chemistry, Maths, Physics; or employed professionals with a recognised 3 year technical diploma (course exemptions might apply).
- Prerequisite for MBA or ME / MEng course is a BE or BTech.
- PhD or other doctor level degrees offered from September 2012? News reports on 20-21 April 2012 said that BITS Pilani had announced they had received approval from the KHDA to start offering PHD programs from September 2012 at the Dubai campus (no mention made of CAA approval though). PhD would be offered in the areas of engineering, management and allied interdisciplinary studies, and research topics could be chosen from any of the fields in which BITS Pilani already offers degree programs. No further information supplied or found - BITS Pilani Dubai website only appears to have information for Bachelor's and Master's level courses.
21 September 2012 - BITS Pilani Dubai sold to BITS Pilani India
- A news report (India Economic Times?) said that BITS Pilani India was buying out the ETA Star Group stake in BITS Pilani Dubai for Rs 100 crore, which means BITS Pilani India will take over the management of the Dubai campus. Previously ETA Star managed the infrastructure and BITS-Pilani managed the academics. Date of ownership change not supplied. News not confirmed (nothing found on ETA Star or BITS Pilani site, no press release supplied).
- Website domain www.bitsdubai.com forwards to universe.bits-pilani.ac.in/dubai/ but information also still available at www.bitsdubai.com. A bit (pun intended) confusing.
04 August 2010 - new BITS Pilani Dubai Director (press release)
- Professor Dr R. K. Mittal (BE Hons, ME, PhD) from BITS Pilani-Rajasthan in India, where he was Deputy Director of Administration, replaces Dr M. Ramachandran as the new Dubai BITS Pilani Director.
- Prof. Mittal started at BITS Pilani in 1975 and specialises in Robotics. He is the founding member of the Centre of Robotics and Intelligent Systems at BITS Pilani - Rajasthan, and president of the BITS Alumni Association since 1989.
23 March 2010 - BITS Pilani Dubai - University of Windsor agreement
- BITS Pilani Dubai (BPD) announced in a press release that they had signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU), or International Collaboration agreement, with the University of Windsor (UOW) in Canada.
- The MOU provides for faculty exchange programs, under-graduate and post-graduate student exchanges, collaboration in research and teaching.
- Also under the agreement, students completing under-graduate programs at BITS Pilani Dubai will receive preferential treatment with applications for post-graduate courses at the International University of Windsor, and also for financial assistance or scholarships.
- BITS Pilani Dubai has previously signed agreements with Al-Ain University of Science and Technology (UAE), George Mason University (USA), IOWA State University (USA), International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture (UAE), Kansas State University (USA), Purdue University (USA), University at Buffalo (USA), University of Maryland (USA), York University (Canada).
30 August 2009
- BITS Pilani Dubai is offering Masters level courses starting October 2009 (admissions start date 01 September 2009), with degrees awarded from BITS Pilani Rajasthan, India on completion. Classes will be held evenings and weekends to suit part-time students with jobs. Information from BITS Pilani press release 30 August 2009.
- Master's programs apparently have preliminary approval from the KHDA, but nothing showing on KHDA website when checked.
- BITS Pilani contact details according to KHDA are tel +971-4-4200811, fax +971-4-420055 (looks incorrect), PO Box 50022 (looks incorrect).
- BITS Pilani tuition fees information updated from BITS website, assumed to be for 2009-2010 academic year (but not explicitly stated as such). Previous tuition fees info was AED 25,000 per year (probably for 2006-7 or 2007-8). Practice School (PS) program fees an additional AED 4500? Masters course fees not obvious, or they are the same as for Bachelor level programs (check with BITS directly).
- Additional fees include Application Fee AED 200, Admission Fee AED 500, Activity Fee 1000, Lab Deposit AED 5000.
- For students in university accommodation, Hostel Fee AED 15,000 per semester, Internet connection AED 750 per year, Hostel Deposit AED 2000. Additional charges for laundry, refrigerator use, and perhaps other items.
- Transport Fee AED 1500 per semester for Dubai, AED 1750 for Sharjah and Ajman.
- Student Visa charges AED 2100 for the first year, AED 1500 for annual visa renewal years 2-4.
- Medical Insurance (including dental) AED 1550 per annum.
- BITS Pilani main branch is in Rajasthan, other BITS Pilani campuses in Goa and Hyderabad.
- Contact details updated - BITS Pilani moved to new campus at DIAC in 2008? Previous information was PO Box 500022, Dubai Knowledge Village, Building 11, telephone +971-4-3664575, fax +971-4-3664579.
22 September 2006
- Full name is "Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani, Dubai." Also called "BITS, Pilani - Dubai Campus", BPDC, or BITSPDC.
- Affiliated with BITS, Pilani - India.
- Unrelated to Birla Institute of Technology in Ras Al Khaimah?
- BITS Pilani offers 4 year BE (Hons) / BEng / Bachelor of Engineering programs in Engineering and Computer Science.
- Hostel, transport and visas available (at extra cost - 13,000 dhs per year for hostel and transport).
- BITS Pilani Dubai Campus currently at Knowledge Village but is moving to Dubai International Academic City.
- Local newspaper 7 Days reported on 08 September 2006 that 3 students were suspended for participating in blogging on the acerbic website blazefanthom.blogspot.com. Then a couple of days later, 12 students were suspended for an unpleasant case of ragging / hazing / bullying. See forum topic for more information and discussion.
Last update 07 October 2012
General comments - might not apply to BITS Pilani Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Dubai Academic City - schools and tertiary institutes in Ruwayah.
- Teaching in Dubai and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for instructors too)
- University Quality Assurance International Dubai - licenses DIAC institutes in Dubai (the UQAIB)
|Colleges||Colleges in Abu Dhabi | Colleges in Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ | Colleges in Dubai | Colleges in Ras Al Khaimah | Colleges in Sharjah | Colleges in UAE|
|MBAs||MBA in Abu Dhabi | MBA in Dubai | MBA in UAE|
|Dubai education||KHDA | List of Dubai colleges | List of Dubai universities | List of Dubai schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.