Thursday 29 October 2020 (UAE)
Australian School of Abu Dhabi
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Australian School of Abu Dhabi
Australian School of Abu Dhabi information
||Australian School of Abu Dhabi
|Type of institute
||private profit-making K-12 school
|Curriculum or Student Nationality
||Arabic, Australian, Islamic
|Qualifications or Courses
||IBPYP, IBMYP, IB Diploma
|Head of school
||Mr Ronald Mitrovski (Principal)
|Executive body or owner
||Australian International Academy, Australia, Dr Salah Salman
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|School area, location map
||Khalifa City B, Shakhbout City - location map
||PO Box 34170, Abu Dhabi, UAE
||www.aiahome.net (new window)
|School fees structure
||14,975-35,534 dhs per year (2013-2014)
|Teacher salary range
||9,000-17,000 dhs per month (2013-2014)
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile
Australian School of Abu Dhabi admissions, reviews, notes
Australian School of Abu Dhabi reviews - add yours here.
Australian School of Abu Dhabi (ASAD), Australian International Academy Abu Dhabi (AIA, AIAD) fee structure
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2010-2011c
- 2013-2014 or 2012-2013 fee range AED 14,261-33,841 per year.
- 2011-2012 updated fees information not supplied. Website for AIA Abu Dhabi says "... you will find various documents and information about school fees ..." but we didn't find them (last checked April 2011).
- 2010-2011 tuition fees not confirmed, fee schedule not provided by school. Registration AED 500, uniform costs AED 500-700, book charges AED 1,500-2,500. Bus transportation fees AED 3,000-3,800 per year depending on area. Fees for AIA in Australia are about A$10,000-$16,000 (approx AED 30,000-48,000) per year, but that might be a completely misleading indicator of fees at AIA in Abu Dhabi.
- Location: Khalifa City B (since September 2007), area renamed as Shakbout City in 2013. ASAD was previously in Al Mushrif area, see old location map.
- School renamed in September 2006, was previously the Modern Pakistani School in Abu Dhabi.
Teaching jobs at the Australian School in Abu Dhabi
- 2013-2013 or 2012-2013 salaries range from AED 9,000-17,000 per month. Benefits information not supplied.
- 2009-2010 updated salary information not provided. Housing allowance 60,000-75,000? Not confirmed, if correct, is insufficient for a decent one-bedroom apartment in Abu Dhabi unless living in Khalifa City or Mussafah area.
- 2008-2009 teacher salary range AED 7,083-16,667 per month.
12 February 2014 review
- Website updated to www.aiahome.net (previously www.australianschoolabudhabi.ae, returns error now).
- Website also at www.aia.vic.edu.au? Not available or error loading.
19 April 2011 - ADEC sued by private school in Abu Dhabi, not necessarily the Australian School or Australian Academy of Abu Dhabi
- Press reports said that there was a lawsuit filed against ADEC by an unnamed private school in Abu Dhabi for AED 8 million in compensation due to ADEC reducing the school fees, or reducing the increase, by 50% for 2010-2011. The school had argued in the Abu Dhabi Court of First Instance that it was allowed to set fees in its first year of operation without any intervention from the Ministry of Education.
- The National reported 19 April 2011 that Francesco Ruggiero, an ADEC Licensing and Accreditation Department Manager had said that the school had filed a request to raise its fees by an average of more than 30 per cent for the 2010-2011 academic year. The school was told in writing that ADEC would approve only a 5 per cent increase.
- Confusingly, press reports said the school had opened in 1993, 1994, closed in 1994, reopened in 2006 ...
- Gulf Today 18 April 2011 reported that the ADEC lawyer said the school had opened up as extension of another school that had been established in 1993 and opened up under a new name in 2006.
- But Emirates 24-7 reported that ADEC said that school was just an extension of another educational institution, adding that it was shut in 1994 and re-opened in 2006 under a new name by another company.
- And The National said Adec officials proved that although the school campus began operations in 2006, it was classed an extension of an existing institution, which had begun operations in 1993.
- Gulf News said the council said that the complainant is not a new school but an extension of another private school that was established in 1993 and closed down in 2006 before opening again under a new name through a private joint stock company.
- The school was instructed to pay court fees and legal fees. Gulf News reported on 18 April 2011 that The school was also fined Dh20,000 and closed down by the education ministry. Other newspapers also reported that the school had been instructed to close.
- Unknown if the school referred to was the Australian School in Abu Dhabi (ASAD) (or renamed as the Australian International Academy in Abu Dhabi AIA) but ASAD was established in 1992 or 1993 as the Modern Pakistani School in Abu Dhabi, and re-established as the Australian School in Abu Dhabi (ASAD) in 2006.
- ASAD, AIA appears to still be open, despite whatever was reported in the press about a school being instructed to close. And given that the UAE newspapers couldn't make up their minds about whether or not the school they were talking about opened or closed in 1993 or 1994, who knows what they meant to say about the current status of the school anyway, whether or not they were talking about ASAD, AIA. The IBO website still lists the school as though it is open, and it would seem odd for a school to advertise a job for a new principal if they were closed or closing ...
15 April 2011 - new head of Abu Dhabi Australian School vacancy
- A position vacant job for the Principal of the Australian School of Abu Dhabi is being advertised online, start date September 2011 (The Academy is seeking to appoint a School Head for Abu Dhabi Campus).
- Requirements are English language fluency, previous management experience, preferably as school principal or deputy principal. Salary scale not supplied but benefits include accommodation, health insurance, return air tickets.
- CV and applications including names of 3 referees and a copy of transcripts of tertiary results should be sent to The Head of Academy,
Australian International Academy,
56 Bakers Rd., North Coburg 3058, Australia. Or email
email@example.com. Closing date Thursday 05 May 2011.
11 August 2010 review
- New Australian School of Abu Dhabi principal is Mr Ronald Mitrovski according to ASAD information? Date of appointment not supplied. He was previously Assistant Head of Middle School at the Australian International Academy (AIA) Melbourne Campus?
- Domain www.australianschool.ae still not available. New domain might be www.australianschoolabudhabi.ae, but also not available when checked.
- Some information at www.aia.vic.edu.au/abu_dhabi/, which says school name is Australian International Academy (AIA) but not clear if school has been renamed, or that's just an alternative name.
- AIA has two postal addresses listed in their contact details: PO Box 36044 and PO Box 34170, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Additional telephone number is +971-2-5866981. Email address updated, was previously firstname.lastname@example.org (unknown if still active).
17 September 2009 review
- The Abu Dhabi Australian School (ASAD) has been an IB World school since June 2009 according to the IB Organisation (IBO) website (www.ibo.org). IB Diploma Coordinator is Ms Aseel Salman. School postal address is PO Box is 36044 Abu Dhabi according to IBO directory (different from school address provided).
- Founder, owner, or head of school is Salah Hamed Salman (who has long involvement with AIA schools in Australia)? Mr Salman received a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) honours award in 2007.
- Previous information was that the director is/was Ms Deborah Jones?
- Head of Senior School is Graham Marshal?
- ASAD is the only Australian curriculum (vaguely) school in Abu Dhabi. There are none in Dubai, and two in Sharjah - AIS Sharjah and VIS Sharjah. As far as we know. If this is not correct, please add a comment to the forum, thanks.
- Popular with expat Arab community wanting an Australian and IB education.
- The school seems to attract many negative comments, but there are a few positive comments also, and the school is reportedly making changes for the new 2009-2010 academic year (it's not clear just what those changes are - maybe just staffing but every school in the UAE has teachers leaving every year).
- ASAD location map for old location in Al Mushrif (tel +971-2-4475640, fax +971-2- 4475642, street number 23). ADCCI and Abu Dhabi Education Zone have contact details as tel +971-2-666 4510, fax +971-2-666 4513. School has moved to new building in Khalifa City B (KCB).
- ASAD website at www.australianschool.ae unavailable? Domain is www.australinschool.ae according to some sources but that appears to be incorrect (probably a typo). Another possible domain is www.australianschool1.ae but website also unavailable.
04 September 2008 review
- The Australian School in Abu Dhabi (ASAD) might also be referred to as Abu Dhabi Australian School LLC (or Abu Dhbi Australian School - LLC [sic] according to ADCCI, or Austrilian School of Abu Dhabi [sic] according to their own website in 2007), or the Australian International Academy Abu Dhabi branch (see below).
- ASAD is a branch of the Australian International Academy (AIA) in Melbourne, Australia which is an Islamic school in Australia so presumably ASAD is also. AIA in Melbourne offers both VCE and IB
- ASAD started with grades KG and primary grades, expanding to Year 10 for 2007-2008 and eventually up to Year 12.
- School moved to Khalifa City B location for September 2007.
- School office in Khalidiya at Villa 10/3 Street 6 off Al Falah Street tel +971-2-6664510, fax +971-2-6664513.
- New school office in Khalifa City B - opposite Civil Defense Building, tel +971-2-5866980 or +971-2-5866981, fax +971-2-5866982
- Teacher salary scale and employment conditions available on ASAD website. But no fees information found. Estimate 20k-60k dhs per year for KG - grade 12.
- Conflicting contact details seen - PO Boxes 34170 and 36044, emails email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Australian school was previously the Modern Pakistani School but changed curriculums, teachers and students for September 2006. According to a Gulf News report 12 June 2006, Its monthly tuition fee ranges from Dh100 to Dh200, whereas the new Australian school is likely to charge more than Dh1,000, which the current pupils cannot afford, referring to the old Modern Pakistani School.
Schools in the same area as Australian School of Abu Dhabi
|| Level ||Curriculum
|Al Sorouh American School
|| September 2010
|| primary ||Arabic, MOE, US
Last update 04 February 2015
General comments - might not apply to Australian School of Abu Dhabi
- Many popular schools are full for 2020-2021. New schools in Abu Dhabi might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
Related websites (new window)