American University RAK in Ras Al Khaimah
||American University RAK
||Prof Hassan Hamdan Al Alkim (Chancellor)
|Executive body or owner
||RAK Education (EdRAK)
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
|University location / area
||Al Hudaibah / Hudaiba - location map
||PO Box 10021, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
||BSc, BBA, MSc
||21,000-40,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Comments about American University RAK
Add a comment or review about American University RAK
American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) degree courses and programs
- IELTS and TOEFL exam preparation
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Business Administration, specialisations in Finance, International Business, or Marketing.
- BS in Electronics and Communications Engineering, including IT
- BS in Computer Engineering
- BS in Biology - specializations in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics
- BSc in Computer and Information Systems (proposed or planned for September 2010?)
- BSc in Management (proposed or planned for September 2010?)
- MSc in Education and Leadership (proposed or planned for September 2010?)
26 February 2012 - scholarships and biotechnology laboratory
- Julphar Pharmaceuticals in RAK and AURAK have signed an agreement in which Julphar will sponsor 5 student scholarships (value and other details not supplied), and give AED 100,000 annually as financial support for the biotechnology laboratory at the university (press release).
06 September 2011
- WAM news announced the appointment of
Professor Hassan Hamdan Al Alkeem as a Chancellor of American University in Ras al-Khaimah.
- Supreme President of AURAK is Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah, according to the same report.
- However, the AURAK website lists Sheikh Saud as Chancellor and Chairman of the Board of Governors, and lists Professor Al Alkeem as Vice-Chancellor.
- Previous information was that the President of AURAK was
Dr Shaukat Mirza? Unknown what happened to him, although a report in The National on 14 August 2011 referred to him as the new president of the American University of Ras Al Khaimah.
29 July 2010
- About three-quarters of management and administrative staff at AU RAK had their jobs terminated according to a report in The National 23 June 2010.
- Dismissals included the Director in May 2010,
Professor Sharon Sivert (Siverts?)
- The report commented that
Prof Ian Cumbus, the commissioner at the Commission for Academic Accreditation within the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, said the commission was "very concerned" with the situation at the university, adding that there is a need to improve the organisational structure and financial "overspend".
- The new President,
Dr Shaukat Mirza, reportedly said, apparently making a connection between plumbing problems and administration, "Every department was over-flooded, ... From now on, there won’t be any problem. Things will be much more regulated." (The National, 28 July 2010). Headline read that AURAK staff were "overpaid and underworked"
- New programs being introduced include
an MSc in Education and Leadership, a BSc in Computer and Information Systems, and a BSc in Management, with MOHESR CAA accreditation being applied for.
28 February 2010
- The American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) BS in Business Administration has been recommended for Initial Accreditation by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) to the MOHESR (press release 28 February 2010)
- MOHESR licence awarded to AURAK for the period 01 August 2009 to 31 July 2012.
- BS in Electronics and Communications Engineering and BS in Computer Engineering degrees awarded accreditation by the CAA previously.
07 September 2009
- American University RAK (AU RAK) contact details updated, previous fax was +971-7-2210638.
- Additional AU RAK fees: Application Fee AED 200, Admission Fee AED 2500, Tuition Fee per credit hour AED 1400, Student visa fee AED 1700, Security Deposit AED 1000, allow another AED 1000-2000 for various other miscellaneous fees.
- Scholarships available (25% off fees) for degree programs.
- English language program tuition fees AED 10,500 per semester. Degree courses AED 20,000 per semester.
- Intensive English Program tuition fees AED 5,000 per 7 week block.
- Accommodation fees AED 6,500 per semester (AED 13,000 per year) for shared room, AED 13,000 (AED 26,000) for single room.
- New student accommodation under construction.
- Location is near the Higher Colleges of Technology RAK Men's College. In the old George Mason University building?
17 August 2009
- American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) established April 2009 but first courses not starting until September 2009
- Courses and programs offered for September 2009 include
- BS Business Administration (BBA?)
- BS Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSc?), including IT
- BS Biology (BSc?) - focus on Biotechnology or Bioinformatics
- IELTS and TOEFL exam preparation
- Scholarships available according to AU RAK website (but no further information available).
- Facilities include student accommodation, student center with shops, food, recreation, student clubs and support services.
- University and programs not found in list of UAE MHESR list of accredited programs on the CAA website.
- University Chancellor is the Crown Prince of Ras Al Khaimah, Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qassimi.
- President of AU RAK is Prof Sharon Sivert (according to a press release 10 August 2009), which seems odd, given that she was the boss of the now defunct GMU in RAK. One of the reasons for its demise was reportedly a disagreement between the owners and the managers over funding and how it should be run. Perhaps Prof Siverts had nothing to do with it, or she is part of the consultancy role that GMU were apparently going to provide to AU RAK.
- Two websites for AU RAK available, www.aur.ae which just has an announcement and email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), and www.aurak.ae which says "Site Under Construction" but seems to have more information than the original AURAK website.
27 February 2009
In the press release announcing the closure of the George Mason University RAK Campus from May 2009, there was a comment that their UAE partner, Education RAK (EDRAK) was planning to establish a new American University in Ras Al Khaimah (AU-RAK), and GMU might act in a consultative role. The AURAK website says that a memorandum to establish a university was signed on 01 November 2007 between the RAK Crown Prince, HH Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qassimi, and the CEO of Khoie Group, Mr Frank Khoie. As the RAK American School, also established by Khoie Group, didn't last long, there might be a question mark about Khoie Group still being involved in the RAK University project. No further information available at this stage.
Last update 12 September 2011
General Comments - might not apply to American University RAK
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.