American University Dubai
||American University Dubai
||Dr Lance De Masi (President)
|Executive body or owner
||Board of Governors
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
private university, Ministry of Higher Education license
|University location / area
||Sheikh Zayed Rd, near Dubai Internet City (no map)
||PO Box 28282, Dubai, UAE
||www.aud.edu (new window)
||BArch, BBA, BFA, BIT, BSc, MBA, MEd
||50,000-70,000 dhs per year (2009-2010)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
American University Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
Got something to say? Start a new topic in the Dubai universities forum
American University in Dubai courses and programs (last update 06 September 2009)
All undergraduate courses have an Arts and Sciences requirement of 36 credit hours.
- Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) (5 years) - new program starting September 2009 (166 credit hours)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) - specialisations in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Management, Marketing, and Marketing Communications (123 credit hours)
- Master of Business Administration (AUD MBA) - specializations include International Finance, International Marketing, Health Care Management, and Management of Construction Enterprises (36 credit hours).
- Masters in Education (MEd) launched September 2011. Intended for currently employed elementary and secondary school teachers, and university graduates wishing to pursue a career in education. Curriculum follows standards set by the Interstate New Teachers Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC) in the USA. Announced in press release 03 July 2011.
- College of Education to be opened for September 2012, offering a Master's in Education, based on a curriculum from University of Ohio (reported 02 April 2012). Does this mean the previous press release was incorrect? Clarification not supplied.
- Diploma in Education, duration 1 year? Possibly offered in 2013?
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Electrical Engineering (137 credit hours)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) - new for September 2011, specializations include
Databases, Game Design and Development, Network Security
(25 July 2011 press release).
- Master of Science in Construction Management (MSCM) launched by the Civil Engineering Department at AUD, starting September 2011. Thesis and non-Thesis options available (press release 10 July 2011).
- AUD School of Engineering established in conjunction with the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
- AUD Engineering programs accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET in the USA
- Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) with concentrations in Application Development for Commerce and Industry, Database Design, Development and Operation, Network Infrastructure Design and Operations (120 credit hours)
- BIT program accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET in the USA
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA) in Interior Design with option of Integrated Computational Design (124 credit hours)
Mohammed Bin Rashid School for Communication (MBRSC)
- Bachelor of Communication and Information Studies (BCIS) - specialisations include Digital Production and Storytelling, and Journalism (124-125 credit hours)
- MBRSC established in 2008 in partnership with the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California (USC)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA) in Visual Communication with options in Creative Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography, and Studio Art (125 credit hours)
- Center for Executive Programs and Professional Services (CEPPS) - corporate and executive consulting, education, professional development, and training services
- Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies (18 credit hours). Bachelor degree required before certificate is awarded?
- IAA Diploma in Marketing Communications - awarded to graduates of BBA and BFA degrees with Marketing Communications and Advertising (Creative) concentrations as both these programs are accredited by the IAA in New York, USA. There is an additional exam requirement for BBA students?
- Intensive English Language Program
Scholarships usually cover tuition and accommodation fees for a year (or semester in the case of visiting students).
- Mohammed Bin Rashid School For Communication Scholarship
- MSU Dubai scholarships - offered to students transferring from MSU Dubai after the July 2010 announcement of the closure of undergraduate programs at the Dubai campus.
- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Scholarships
- William Jefferson Clinton Scholarship
- Young Arab Leaders Scholarship (YAL)
06 September 2009
- American University of Dubai (AUD) courses and programs list updated.
- Other details reviewed and updated.
- Tuition fees vary depending on number of courses and program. Program requirements range from 18 credit hours (Middle Eastern studies certificate) to 166 credit hours (BArch). Tuition fees are AED 2,100-2,900 per credit hour.
- Accommodation in student housing available for AED 8,500 shared or AED 12,500 single per semester (AED 22,700 & 33,500 per year including summer session).
- AUD Dubai independent of the American InterContinental University? AUD not in list of branch campuses on AIU/AICU website.
- Provost and Chief Academic Officer is Dr Jihad S Nader.
26 July 2009 - new programs announced (press release)
- Bachelor of Architecture available from September 2009
- Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies available September 2009?
07 October 2006
- American University of Dubai (AUD) is a branch campus of The American InterContinental University in the USA (previously called The American College).
- Courses and programs offered include Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) (4 years), Bachelor's in Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor in Information Technology (BIT) degree, Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Civil, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, and Master of Business Administration (MBA) in International Marketing or International Finance.
- Number of students about 2400 in 2005-2006 academic year.
Last update 06 September 2009
General comments - might not apply to American University Dubai
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.