American School of Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
American School of Dubai
|School name||American School of Dubai|
|Type of institute||private non-profit K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||US|
|Qualifications or Courses||AP, HS diploma|
|Head of school||Dr Brent Mutsch (Superintendent from Aug 2012)|
|Executive body or owner||The Cultural Foundation, Board of Governors|
|Number of students (approx)||1350|
|Number of staff (approx)||234|
|School area, location map||Al Barsha|
|Postal address||PO Box 71188, Dubai, UAE|
|Website||www.asdubai.org (new window)|
|School fees structure||52,730-104,070 dhs per year (2014-2015)|
|Teacher salary range||13,300-18,800 dhs per month (2009-2010)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
American School of Dubai admissions, reviews, notes
American School of Dubai reviews - add yours here.
American School of Dubai (ASD) fee structure and general information
ASD is unrelated to the Universal American School (UAS) in Dubai Festival City, the Dubai American Academy (DAA) in Al Barsha, or the American International School of Dubai (AISD) in Al Ghusais. Of the four schools, ASD would be the preferred choice for most parents wanting a US education for their children. UAS and DAA offer the IB curriculum so are more international.
|Annual fees (AED) 2014-2015 (corporate)||52,730||56,710||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950||69,950|
|Annual fees (AED) 2014-2015 (regular)||74,730||90,830||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070||104,070|
|Annual fees (AED) 2013-2014 (corporate)||34,172||43,328||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073||65,073|
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011 (corporate)||45,000||48,400||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700||59,700|
|Annual fees (AED) 2010-2011 (regular)||45,000||59,420||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720|
|Annual fees (AED) 2009-2010 (corporate)||31,350||45,260||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210||65,210|
|Annual fees (AED) 2009-2010 (regular)||31,350||50,770||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720||70,720|
|Annual fees (AED) 2008-2009 (corporate)||29,900||65,820|
ASD has two types of place (or seat) available. Company owned (debenture, or corporate seat) and non-company owned (regular). Company-owned are guaranteed seats.
- 2014-2015 admission application fee is nil, registration fee AED 500, book deposit AED 500 (refundable), medical fee AED 350. Deposit for new students AED 29,850, refundable if no outstanding payments due. Regular tuition fees include a Capital Fee AED 22,000, and Facility Fee (not for KG1) AED 12,120. Siblings of a student already attending ASD do not pay the Capital Fee, so total regular fee is then K1 AED 52,730, K2 AED 68,830, and Grades 1-12 AED 82,070. Fees can be paid in one, two, or four instalments. Additional surcharge of 2.25% for credit card payments (only Visa and Mastercard accepted).
- 2013-2014 fees not confirmed. 2012-2013, 2011-2012 fee schedule not supplied.
- 2010-2011 annual fees consist of tuition fees and deposit of AED 5,510. It appears as if the Assessment fee for 2009-2010 is no longer applicable hence the apparent decrease for debentured fees, but confirm with ASD, it might still be a total of AED 65,210 for grades 1-12. Fees due in full by start of academic year. Two payments is possible but costs extra.
- Additional depost of AED 29,850 per child starting from 2010-2011 academic year, refundable when student leaves (hopefully).
- 2009-2010 annual fees for debentured seats made up of tuition fees plus Assessment fees of AED 5,510 for grades K2-12 (no assessment fee for K1). For non-debentured seats, total is Tuition fees plus Assessment fee and Seat Rental Fee of AED 11,020 for grades K2-12 (no assessment fee or seat rental for K1).
- Location is at the corner of Hessa St (D61 or D611 road) and Al Mafraq Rd, Al Barsha (exit 36 from Sheikh Zayed Road). Opposite TECOM, and the Saudi German Hospital, next to GEMS Nations Academy.
26 November 2011
- ASD announced the appointment of Dr Brent Mutsch as the new Superintendent from August 2012 (replacing Dr Harold Fleetham). Previously Dr Mutsch was Superintendent of the Singapore American School.
26 May 2011
- ASD Dubai email address updated from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com. KHDA information still has firstname.lastname@example.org, unknown if still valid.
02 March 2011
- Search Associates is advertising a job for a new Superintendent at ASD. Application closing date 31 March 2011, start date of employment stated as "Effective August 1st, 2012" (not 2011). Applicants must be US citizens. Usual benefits package one would expect for an overseas posting, salary scale not supplied (but will probably be one of the better paying school head jobs in Dubai).
07 November 2010
- ASD contact details updated. Temporary mobile number no longer in use. New telephone number is +971-4-3950005. Old number +971-4-3440824 also still in use (update supplied by email).
24 August 2010
- New American School of Dubai (ASD) campus will not be ready for elementary students in September 2010. They will attend classes at the old campus until further notice. Possibly sharing it with the new Jumeira International Baccalaureate School which was established there.
04 August 2010 review
- New American School of Dubai (ASD) campus in Al Barsha opening date scheduled for 14 September 2010.
- Area of project site is 92,903 square meters (about 1 million sq feet), gross internal floor area is 58,622 sq m, old Jumeirah campus is 31,424 sq m (Construction Week 04 August 2010). Figures sound more realistic compared to previous report of only 185,000 sq feet.
17 July 2010 review
- The new Taleem IB school moved into the ASD premises in Street 53B, Jumeirah 1 from 15 June 2010.
- New ASD telephone number is mobile +971-50-1002310. Old ASD contact details were tel +971-4-3440824 and fax +971-4-3441510 (fax number still valid according to ASD website?).
- Teacher salary and benefits package for 2009-2010 ranges from base salary of US$35,000-$48,700 plus cost of living allowance of US$8,732-12,801 depending on status (single, married, married with children). See ASD website for careers, job vacancies, and employment conditions.
11 April 2010 new school at old location
- After ASD moves to their new campus in Al Barsha for September 2010, a new Taaleem school, the Jumeira Baccalaureate School, will be established in the old ASD campus in Jumeirah 1.
12 December 2008 review
- ASD will move to a new location in Al Barsha 1 in 2010, four times larger than the current site in Jumeirah. Cost of new school premises will be about AED 400 million, and ASD will be able to accept up to 1600 students (Gulf News report). Architects Burt Hill, area reported as 185,000 sq feet (sounds too small - is an error)?
- ASD new Al Barsha location on corner of D611 Road (runs past Dubai College and Choueifat Dubai) and Al Mafraq Rd, opposite the new Saudi German Hospital (also under construction). Take the Exit 36 underpass from Sheikh Zayed Road.
- New facilities will include auditorium; theater; separate gymnasiums, libraries, playground areas for elementary and high school students; music, arts, and drama studios, wireless network.
04 September 2008 review
- Fees information updated (was AED 11,280-47,610 for 2007-2008).
- Tuition fees are 29,900-54,800 dhs per year but there is an additional AED 5,510 or AED 11,020 dhs per year to be paid depending on whether companies own a debenture or not at the school.
- KHDA details say ASD PO Box is 2222, but ASD website has PO Box 71188. Alternative email address email@example.com
23 February 2007 review
The American School of Dubai (ASD) was established in the 1960s (originally as the Jumeirah American School?) for the children of the US employees of Dubai Petroleum but has since expanded to allow employees of other companies in Dubai to enroll their children. ASD has a reputation as one of the best schools in Dubai both for students and teachers. Difficult to get a place there or a job, especially for non-North American citizens. The majority of students and teachers are North American.
- Alternative email addresses may be firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Website needs updating - home page urgent message says no urgent messages as of February 2005.
- Domain name www.asd.sch.ae returns DNS error (07 July 2006).
- Teacher salaries given as USD$31,000-$47,900 + cost of living (COL) $8404-$9878 per annum on website.
- PO Box given as 2222 on searchme.ae? PO Box also seen as 71888 but appears to be an error.
- Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (USA).
- Also known as "The American School of Dubai" or "The American School in Dubai", or maybe the "Jumeirah American School". Unrelated to the 'American College of Dubai' in Al Garhood - a tertiary institute.
Schools in or near Al Barsha close to American School of Dubai
|School name||Level||Curriculum||School fees||Reviews|
|Dubai Community Health Center||Support Services|
|Jumeirah College||September 1999||secondary||UK||58,542-73,177|
Last update 14 July 2013
General comments - might not apply to American School of Dubai
- Many popular schools are full for 2020-2021. New schools in Dubai might have places.
- Allow extra for books, extra-curricular activities, uniforms, trips, etc if not included in school fees.
- American schools in Dubai
- Study in Dubai - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Dubai - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Dubai - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Dubai education||Nurseries in Dubai | Schools in Dubai | New schools in Dubai 2019-2020 | Special needs in Dubai | Colleges in Dubai | Universities in Dubai | KHDA | KHDA school inspections ||
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.