[Closed] Al Worood Academy
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Al Worood Academy in Abu Dhabi
|School name||Al Worood Academy|
|Type of institute||private K-12 school|
|Curriculum or Student Nationality||Arabic, Islamic, UK, US|
|Qualifications or Courses||A-level, IGCSE, HS Diploma, SAT|
|Head of school||Dr Don Grant (Principal)|
|Executive body or owner||Dr Abdulla Al Nuwais (Founder and President)|
|Number of students (approx)||2300|
|Number of staff (approx)||167|
|School area, location map||Al Rehan, Al Reehan - location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 46673, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|School fees structure||14,193-31,448 dhs per year (2014-2015)|
|Teacher salary range||4,500-18,000 dhs per month (2012-2013)|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Teacher job satisfaction rating
(by teachers, not about teachers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Al Worood Academy admissions, reviews, notes
Al Worood Academy reviews - add yours here.
Al Worood Scientific Private School is not a new or existing school
- A few websites list a school in Abu Dhabi called the "Al Worood Scientific Private School (AWSPS)" but with the same details as the closed Al Worrod Academy. There is no school existing or planned with the name "Al Worood Scientific Private School" as far as we know, in Abu Dhabi or anywhere else.
07 May 2016 - school closed
- Al Worood Academy Private School in Abu Dhabi closed at the end of the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Details removed from table: tel +971-2-4447655, fax +971-2-4449732. Website offline.
28 May 2015 - school closure confirmed
- A notice to parents from AWA said "As you are aware, Al Worood Academy Private School will remain open June 7th to June 18th. We will be happy to work with your child if you wish him/her to be at the school. It will be a normal school day with the usual school hours and usual bus times."
- A GN report from 12 May 2015 said that ADEC had confirmed the school would close in August 2015, reference "Shutdown of Al Worood school in Abu Dhabi to be implemented in August".
- A GN report from 11 May 2015 said that "The order of closure of Al Worood Academy Private School has been revoked and its bus driver and attendant are being asked to serve six months and one year in jail respectively, the Abu Dhabi Court of Appeals ruled on Monday."
19 February 2015
- ADEC announced they would arrange for places at different schools in Abu Dhabi to be offered to Al Worood Academy students.
- Offer letters will be sent to Al Worood school for collection by parents, collection time will be sent to parents by SMS from ADEC. ADEC said parents have only one week from date the notification is sent to collect letters and approach the new school.
- ADEC said in the announcement: "ADEC has taken the initiative to provide school seats closer to a student’s residence. ADEC has also made sure that siblings are admitted to the same school." Announcement did not say if parents would pay the same fees as at Al Worood, or fees according to the fee structure at the new school.
- Update 22 Feb 2015: it appears from letters received by parents so far, that discounted fees have not been arranged, and most or all places are offered at more expensive schools. School placement offers are sometimes or often in different locations for children from the same family.
08 February 2015 - school closure update
WAM (the official UAE news agency) reported the result of the trial at the Abu Dhabi Misdemeanours Court [Court of First Instance] of defendants in the case of the death of the girl left in a school bus:
- The bus driver and the bus attendant were each fined AED 20,000 and sentenced to 3 years in jail for negligence resulting in the death of the child.
- A transport supervisor or administrative employee at the school whose job included checking student class and bus passenger lists, was fined AED 20,000 and given a 3 year suspended jail sentence.
- The bus transport company owner was fined AED 500,000 for employment irregularities, and given a 6 month jail sentence for endangering lives.
- The court ordered the school to be closed. The school was fined sums of AED 50,000 for its responsibility in the death of the child, and AED 100,000 for endangering lives. The report referred specifically to the "school", not the school head or owner. However in previous reports, the school principal was one of the five defendants. No jail sentence or fine was reported for the school principal. The school owner was not one of the defendants according to any reports published.
- The court ordered blood money to be paid jointly by the school, the administrator, the bus driver, and the bus attendant.
- The defendants have one month [30 days] from the date of the ruling to appeal the sentences.
- The Al Worood Academy in Dubai is also closing at the end of the academic year according to an announcement in January 2015 by the KHDA (the Dubai education authority). The closure is by request from the owners or management as a result of falling student numbers, not because of any instruction from ADEC or the Abu Dhabi courts.
- Aug 2015: school closed by ADEC.
- 12 May 2015: ADEC confirms school closure remains in effect.
- 19 Feb 2015 (Thu) - ADEC announcement that they would offer places at other schools in Abu Dhabi to all Al Worood students.
- 08 Feb 2015 (Sun) - verdict announced. School principal not mentioned in official news release or other news reports, however "the school" was published. The defendants have 30 days to appeal.
- 18 Jan 2015 (Sun) - another court session heard again from defence lawyer for the school employees, and defence lawyer for the transport company owner. The bus driver and bus attendant requested an adjournment to hire a lawyer. Case was adjourned until 08 Feb 2015.
- 12 Jan 2015 - case adjourned again for the bus attendant to hire a lawyer.
- 16 Dec 2014 - third hearing, defendants and their lawyers presented their defence of the charges. Case adjourned for the bus attendant to hire a lawyer.
- [Check date, reported as 21 Nov 2014 but is a Friday] 19 Nov 2014 - second hearing, the court adjourned the trial until 14 Dec 2014 after requests from some defendants to find lawyers, and from defense lawyers to prepare their case.
- 19 Oct 2014 - first hearing, five defendants were accused of causing the death of the girl: bus driver, bus attendant, bus company owner, administrative or transport supervisor at the school, the school principal. All five entered a plea of not guilty.
- 07 Oct 2014 - date when girl was found dead inside a school bus.
22 October 2014 - school closure ordered
- Al Worood Private Academy in Abu Dhabi has been ordered to close in August 2015 by ADEC after the death of a student when she was left locked in a school bus on 07 October 2014. A statement from ADEC said the school was guilty of "gross negligence" with respect to student safety on school transport (ref: Khaleej Times 22 Oct 2014 - "School ordered to shut down in Abu Dhabi").
- The ADEC statement said The school’s operating licence will be revoked at the end of 2014/2015 school year, as per Article No. 83 of Abu Dhabi Private School Regulations. According to the order, the school will be under financial and administrative supervision of ADEC until its scheduled closure. The school shall cooperate with ADEC or any agency or person authorised by ADEC in matters relating to conducting the school’s business until the licence is revoked.
- The ADEC judgement was made before the outcome of the court case to determine responsibility for the girl's death. A court case on 22 Oct 2014 was adjourned until 19 Nov 2014.
- ADEC did not have an explanation (at least not one which was made public) for parents who felt they were the ones being punished, by being forced to find another school for their children in Abu Dhabi. Finding a private school place in Abu Dhabi is an expensive, time-consuming, and difficult enough process at the best of times, especially for schools in a similar price range as Al Worood.
- The closure decision does not apply to the Al Worood Academy in Dubai as far as we know (ADEC is the authority for schools in Abu Dhabi emirate only).
Al Worood Academy Private School Abu Dhabi (AWA, AWAAD) tuition fee structure and information
|Annual tuition fees 2014-2015 (AED)||14,193||14,801||15,307||15,724||16,420||16,837||17,672||18,090||19,203||19,759||20,594||22,681||26,299||31,448|
|Annual tuition fees 2010-2011 (AED)||11,220||11,700||12,100||12,430||12,980||13,310||13,970||14,300||15,180||15,620||16,280||17,930||20,790||24,860|
|Annual tuition fees 2009-2010 (AED)||11,220||11,700||12,100||12,430||12,980||13,310||13,970||14,300||15,180||15,620||16,280||17,930||20,790||24,860|
|Book costs 2009-2010 (AED)||1,520||1,900||3,150||2,900||3,200||3,550||3,625||3,700||4,200||4,370|
|Annual tuition fees (AED) 2008-2009||11,220||11,700||12,100||12,430||12,980||13,310||13,970||14,300||15,180||15,620||16,280||17,930||20,790||24,860|
- 2014-2015 placement confirmation fee minimum AED 500 (part of registration fee, non-refundable), maximum amount not given. Bus transport charges AED 3,650 (annual).
- 2013-2014 fee increase of 10% approved by ADEC.
- 2011-2012 admission, tuition fee schedule not supplied.
- 2010-2011 tuition fee range AED 11,220-24,860.
- 2009-2010 book costs for Grades 9-10 (total) are AED 5,500 (non-UK High School system) or AED 8,000 (British system), book costs for Grades 11-12 (total) are AED 7,000 (non-UK High School) or AED 7,500 (UK system). Uniforms cost from AED 200 to AED 470 depending on grade and whether boy or girl. Tuition fees paid in two instalments. Books and uniforms to be purchased from Al Worood school shop. Bus transport AED 3150 return, AED 2200 one-way (annual or term fees not specified in supplied information).
- 2009-2010 Al Worood Nursery fees are AED 1000 per month or AED 300 per week. Add transport fees AED 5000 return or AED 3500 one way, book fees AED 1170-6500 depending on grade and curriculum, uniform fees AED 165-415 per uniform. Al Worood School website says fees are provisional and might increase.
- Most students are Arab, or at least first language Arabic speakers.
- School owner and president is Dr Muna Al Ansari (Oct 2014 reports).
- FB page at facebook.com/alworoodad.
- Location is off 29th St between Airport Rd and Al Muroor Rd. Area or district Al Rehan, Al Rehhan, Al Muroor?
- Dr Donald Grant (principal).
- Dr Roderick E. D. Williams (principal from August 2012).
- Ms Judy Flatt (principal from December 2009).
- Dr Abdullah Al Nuwais (director and owner, was also principal according to ADEZ up to 2008 or 2009).
09 February 2015
- New head is Dr Donald Grant (Principal), previously was principal of Institute of Applied Technology in Fujairah.
- Start date not given but was after October 2014? News reports then were quoting the principal as Dr Roderick Williams (Principal or CEO).
- ADEC inspection report from 2013 said "The Effectiveness of the School: Band C, Grade 7. Inspectors judged Al Worood Academy Private School to be in Band C, that is a school in need of significant improvement."
18 September 2012 - new school head
- New school principal is Dr Roderick E. D. Williams (from August 2012), or Mr Roderick Earnest David Williams (both versions given). Previously was Ms Judy Flatt (principal since December 2009).
07 June 2012 news
- A report in the Arabic newspaper, Emirat Alyoum, said that 400 students were suspended and threatened with expulsion if their fees weren't paid. Emirates 24-7 carried the story in English ... Alworood, one of the largest private schools in the UAE, assembled all the suspended students in one classroom on Wednesday and asked them to contact their families to come and pay or take them home, Emirat Alyoum said.
- The school had repeatedly asked parents to settle their accounts according to the same report which said an unnamed official (possibly from ADEC) said the management clarified that it had sent three notices to those parents in April, May and June asking them to settle their dues and warning that the students face expulsion unless the fees are paid.
15 March 2011 - Al Worood School court case
- News reports said that Al Worood School in Abu Dhabi is claiming AED 100 million in damages resulting from some ex-employees allegedly forging documents used for recruitment to help provide non-existent employees with UAE resident visas. The 5 ex-employees were convicted of forgery by the Abu Dhabi Criminal Court of First Instance in February 2011 and each received a 3-month suspended jail sentence but appeared in the Court of Appeal on 14 March 2011 to ask for an acquittal. During the appeal, the school made its counter-claim. A verdict is due on 04 May 2011.
- The National reported that The staff said the school's claim was vindictive, and had been filed by a member of the school-owner's family out of personal spite.
21 December 2009 review
- Al Worood Academy in Dubai opened in new location in Dubai Investment Park (DIP). Actual opening date not provided.
14 May 2009 review
- AWS is accredited by the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA) in the USA.
- Full name is Al Worood Academy Private School. Email address firstname.lastname@example.org might also be valid. Other telephone numbers +971-2-4448855 and +971-2-4448990.
12 April 2008 review
- ADEZ information is school name Al Worood Academy Pvt Sch, head's name Dr Abdulla Al Neweis (Dr Al Nuwais is also the school founder and/or owner).
- Boys and girls are segregated (maybe not in junior levels).
18 February 2007 review
- Contact details from ADCCI list name given as "Al Wurood Educational Private School" but website says "Al Worood Academy".
- Other possible names and spellings include Al Woroud, Al Worrod, Al Wourod, Al Wuroud, Alworood, etc International Private Academy or School.
Last update 07 May 2016
- American schools in Abu Dhabi
- Best British school in Abu Dhabi - add your vote and/or comment to the forum topic.
- Study in Abu Dhabi - list of curriculums and qualifications.
- Teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi - how to apply, best schools, scams to watch out for.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi - general information about working as a teacher in the UAE.
|Abu Dhabi education||Nurseries in Abu Dhabi | Schools in Abu Dhabi | New schools in Abu Dhabi 2019-2020 | Special needs in Abu Dhabi | Colleges in Abu Dhabi | Universities in Abu Dhabi | ADEC | ADEZ|
|UAE schools||Abu Dhabi schools | Ajman schools | Al Ain schools | Al Gharbia schools | Dubai schools | Fujairah schools | RAK schools | Ruwais schools | Sharjah schools | UAQ schools | UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.