Al Hosn University in Abu Dhabi
||Al Hosn University
||Professor Abdul Rahim Sabouni (Vice Chancellor and CEO), Dr Hamdi Sheibani (Provost)
|Executive body or owner
||Abu Dhabi Holding Company / Board of Trustees
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
private university, Ministry of Higher Education license
|University location / area
||Al Mushrif/Al Karama, opp Sheikh Sultan Stadium - location map
||PO Box 38772, Abu Dhabi, UAE
||www.alhosnu.ae (new window)
||MBA, MEng, BEng, MEd, BEd, BBA
||20,000-50,000 dhs per year (2008-2009)
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Comments about Al Hosn University
Add a comment or review about Al Hosn University
Al Hosn University Undergraduate Programs
- Bachelor in Architectural Engineering*
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
- Bachelor in Civil Engineering*
- Bachelor of Industrial Engineering
- Bachelor in Interior Design*
- Bachelor of Management Information Systems
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching English, or Teaching Arabic & Islamic Studies)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) and related fields. Starts January 2012, requirements are 133 credit hours and a compulsory internship/industrial training worth two credit hours (reported 15 January 2012).
- Bachelor of Urban Planning
* courses seen advertised August 2008 but not found on Al Hosn University website.
AlHosn University Graduate Programs
- Diploma of Education (Arabic)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Education
- Master of Engineering
Al Hosn University agreements and memorandums of understanding (MoUs) signed
- MoU signed with the Dearborn Campus of University of Michigan in USA (UM-Dearborn), valid until 2015, for the sharing and exchange of teaching and research (WAM 05 January 2011).
- AlHosn University signed an MOU on 02 June 2010 with Salford University in Manchester, UK to
engage in joint research activities, teach and develop new degrees and training programs, facilitate staff and student exchanges, exchange information, and cooperate in development of student progression schemes (press release 15 June 2010).
- Al Hosn University has signed an MOU with Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank (ADIB) (an Islamic bank in Abu Dhabi) to develop Islamic banking programs at diploma and bachelor degree levels. The MOU also says AHU and ADIB can exchange publications, host conferences and seminars, and organise training sessions (press release 14 January 2010).
29 July 2012 - UAE MOHESR CAA accreditation
- Al Hosn university programs in Accounting, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Urban Planning, and the Master in Business Administration (MBA) were awarded accreditation by the UAE MOHESR CAA (press release).
18 February 2011 - Al Hosn University accreditation application denied (The National newspaper)
- The Al Hosn University Master's Degree in Software Engineering accreditation application was rejected by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA). AUST needs to make modifications and resubmit before the CAA will reconsider approving the program.
21 January 2011 (WAM report)
- Al Hosn University received accreditation for Industrial Engineering, and for Software Engineering undergraduate programs, from the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- Another four undergraduate programs in business and urban planning, and the MBA program are in the process of being accredited with approval expected by mid-2011.
- AlHosn University partnerships and agreements signed during 2010 included:
- training and curricular development MoU with Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank
- research, training, student and faculty exchange MoUs with University of Salford in Manchester, England; Kettering University in Flint, Michigan, USA; and University of Michigan-Dearborn
- information and expertise exchange MoU with the UAE Society of Engineers
- commissioned by the UAE National Transport Authority (NTA) to carry out a road safety study for the UAE.
- Tomooh (means "aspirations") training program for human resource and executive management staff to be offered at the Alhosn Training and Continuing Education Center (TCEC).
14 September 2009
- AlHosn University press release 14 September 2009 announced completion of new Studio Building, 200 new students for 2009-2010 academic year, 21 new faculty staff, and 18 undergraduate and graduate degree programs on offer.
- The boss, Professor
AbdulRahim Sabouni, said "We will continue to invest in our staff and our facilities in order to provide our students with the best possible learning environment and thus realize our motto of Global Knowledge with Local Vision."
- AlHosn City Campus buildings and facilities now include the Men's Campus, Women's Campus, Library Building, Lecture Building, Engineering Labs, and the new Studio Building.
15 April 2009
- New Al Hosn University campus buildings are planned / under construction.
- AHU slogan is "Global Knowledge with Local Vision"
- New programs at AlHosn (press release 15 April 2009):
- Graduate Certificate in Buildings Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management
- Master in Buildings Engineering
- Master in Engineering Management
- AHU is not related to Al Husn / Al Huson University College in Jordan.
24 August 2008
- Al Hosn University (AHU?), also written as AlHosn University (or Al Husn / AlHusn), has an emphais on Engineering courses, developed in conjunction with North American Universities.
- Fees are AED 900-2500 per credit hour, program duration is 120-138 credit hours for undergraduate degrees, and 30-50 credit hours for post-graduate degrees and diplomas.
- Student body is predominantly Emirati and Arab but all classes are in English (except for Arabic courses), and students of any nationality can apply.
- Separate campuses for men and women.
- Teaching package unknown but was previously reported to be on the low side for tertiary level jobs (less than AED 10,000 per month and unimpressive housing).
- Toll free (in UAE) telephone 800 ALHOSN (254676)
08 May 2008
- Al Hosn University signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Carlton University in Ottawa, Canada to facilitate student and faculty exchanges, and joint research projects.
- MoU was signed by Professor Abdul Rahim Sabouni (AlHosn VC) and Dr Samy Mahmoud (President and Vice Chancellor of Carlton University).
- AlHosn - Carlton MoU is valid for 5 years (renewable).
Last update 15 September 2009
General Comments - might not apply to Al Hosn University
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.